Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    We used to play handball on Hennessy's road at the end of Convent Hill against Sullivan's gable end until the Boy Murphy would come along on his bike and give us a good chase,anyone remember him. He was a tough but fair Guard if he caught you he would only give you a telling off. When you are only ten it was scary stuff. There was very little traffic around then , it always puzzled me what was the big crime in playing ball on the streets. Sure we used to have great crac boasting afterwards if we weren't caught, but if you were caught?
    Was his name Dan? Lived on the Manor? My mother told me, that one night she was walking home with her bike because she had no light. Walking in the opposite direction was Dan. He stopped her and asked her " where's your light?", to which she replied "Where's yours Dan?" He laughed - dacent man!

Ahaaaa!

All I need now is some Red Lead (Luncheon Sausage) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 americanboi

monica

surely everyone can remember her

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

doctordon wrote: »
    Ahaaaa!

Luncheon Sausage? Elephant's Langer, you mean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Was his name Dan? Lived on the Manor? My mother told me, that one night she was walking home with her bike because she had no light. Walking in the opposite direction was Dan. He stopped her and asked her " where's your light?", to which she replied "Where's yours Dan?" He laughed - dacent man!

Not sure of his first name but he took mine a few times. He was from Roanmore Park, he was a very good boxer in his day I suppose that's where he got the name the Boy Murphy from. He also had a lovely daughter that was a case of look don't ask just imagine meeting her father.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Does anyone know where the phrase "well wear" originated? Is it a Waterford thing? Can it be applied to anything new or just cars as my missus keeps trying to tell me!! :rolleyes::P

Guramoogah wrote: »
    HaHaHa!!!! Jaysus! Never heard it called that! :eek:
    Good description though.

Not sure of his first name but he took mine a few times. He was from Roanmore Park, he was a very good boxer in his day I suppose that's where he got the name the Boy Murphy from. He also had a lovely daughter that was a case of look don't ask just imagine meeting her father.
    Ooooops! Sorry your Guardship! :eek:

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the phrase "well wear" originated? Is it a Waterford thing? Can it be applied to anything new or just cars as my missus keeps trying to tell me!! :rolleyes::P
    Applied to anything new - house, car, bike, horse, pint etc., etc. I believe it originated in Dublin, but I COULD be wrong.

monica

surely everyone can remember her
    Who's Monica? Please remind us :)

• Advertisement

Who's Monica? Please remind us :)

About ten years ago she was well known around town. For a fee she was yours. The last I heard she was around Kilmac looking after all the lonely farmers in that area. Used to see her crossing the bridge a lot skirt up to her arse and if you beeped she would give a flash. If you saw her once you would never forget.

About ten years ago she was well known around town. For a fee she was yours. The last I heard she was around Kilmac looking after all the lonely farmers in that area. Used to see her crossing the bridge a lot skirt up to her arse and if you beeped she would give a flash. If you saw her once you would never forget.
    Thanks. I'm afraid I've been away from Waterford so long (about 35 years) that I wouldn't have a bulls notion about people from 10 years ago. Sounds like an interesting lady, albeit a sad lady.

Jason Todd wrote: »

Well boy, well girl, well wear. We like to say well down this way. I'm always getting slagged about it where I live. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Guramoogah wrote: »
    sounds like a Cork expression? Langer being such.

When I was an apprentice, the lads used to to send me to the stores for "Frosty Langers", "Sky Hooks", "Pre-Dug Holes", "A Long Stand", (my favorite - I could doss, because the Store Man, would say "one moment please", and then leave me there for about an hour). When I came back to the workshop empty handed, I would hear, "Ah ya Langer ye!":D

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Monica... There was a lad tormenting her with a beep everytime he sees her walking at sally park, she wrote down the car reg number down... Couple weeks later, she was drinking at showboat, she sees the tormentor drinking with his wife at the bar, she went over to him gave him £5 note in front of his wife, he called back to her, what that for ? Monica smiled back, that the change i owe you... Monica set him up , his wife was not too pleased... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Ahaaaa!

bMuey.jpg

How did they taste ?

How did they taste ?
    I put a bit too much flour on at the dredging stage, so I had to knock it off with the back of the knife. Other than that they were perfect - a great recipe - very authentic. I discovered that the best way to mix and proof the dough, is to use a Bread Maker - set on Dough or Pasta - takes an hour and 30 minutes. When the cycle is finished take the dough out and shape it (HaHaHa! look at the pic). I used Bologna instead of Red Lead. Because they don't have a long shelf life - I gave some to a few mates. They want more. Never knew I could bake. eek.gif

Monica... There was a lad tormenting her with a beep everytime he sees her walking at sally park, she wrote down the car reg number down... Couple weeks later, she was drinking at showboat, she sees the tormentor drinking with his wife at the bar, she went over to him gave him £5 note in front of his wife, he called back to her, what that for ? Monica smiled back, that the change i owe you... Monica set him up , his wife was not too pleased... lol
    Cost her a fiver - but money well spent! Serves the guy right. Well done Monica! :o

I put a bit too much flour on at the dredging stage, so I had to knock it off with the back of the knife. Other than that they were perfect - a great recipe - very authentic. I discovered that the best way to mix and proof the dough, is to use a Bread Maker - set on Dough or Pasta - takes an hour and 30 minutes. When the cycle is finished take the dough out and shape it (HaHaHa! look at the pic). I used Bologna instead of Red Lead. Because they don't have a long shelf life - I gave some to a few mates. They want more. Never knew I could bake. eek.gif

I love bate'n the flour off of them they look like Harney's on a Monday morning. That's no ordinary oven there. I'll have to travel down to Waterford for a few flowery one's now they gave me a longing looking at them.:P

• Advertisement

I love bate'n the flour off of them they look like Harney's on a Monday morning. That's no ordinary oven there. I'll have to travel down to Waterford for a few flowery one's now they gave me a longing looking at them.:P
    Use the recipe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

bate'n the flour off of them and cutting lines with it

tonc76 wrote: »
    Stripes chipper in red square
    Bobby McGee's
    ABC Radio in Arundel Square
    Winston's where Ruby's is now
    Fat Sam's where Muldoon's is now
    The Trap where Muldoon's is now
    Davy Mac's then Trumps where Mason's is now
    KK Discount Store where Kavanaghs Electrical on Michael St is now
    Chuck Wagon chipper on Michael St
    Morris's on Manor St before the houses were built
    I got barred out of Davey Macs in 1984, for bringing my dog in - Newton, he was a blue Great Dane. I was told that the dog was unhygenic! At the time, the "toilet facilities" in the bar, consisted of a room with a mound of clay in the middle of it which you pssied on! Newton was highly insulted! LoL

I got barred out of Davey Macs in 1984, for bringing my dog in - Newton, he was a blue Great Dane. I was told that the dog was unhygenic! At the time, the "toilet facilities" in the bar, consisted of a room with a mound of clay in the middle of it which you pssied on! Newton was highly insulted! LoL

The furniture in the bar was of the shebeen era. A keg for a table. You would always get a great bottle of stout there stored on a flag floor. The first time I was in there I couldn't believe it was a working bar in the middle of town. As far as I know there was a dispute as the building was condemned. Do you remember O'Donoghue's bar in Greyfriar's lane just of the Quay, if you cursed Mrs O'Donoghue would show you a yellow card and if there was a repeat offence it was a red card and you were barred for a day. We used to have some laugh when she turned her back one of us would shout fcuk and quick as a flash she would say who said that own up or your all barred. Sure we would all be breaking our sides laughing and she would give in and tell us all we were grand lads.She didn't mind as long as we didn't say Jesus that was a straight red. She was the wife of John O'Donoghue who had a bicycle shop in Arundel lane. I'm glad to say that I knew them both as they were lovely people. .I had a pint with my father in Tom Mahers a few times. I brought one of my friends in for a pint one Saturday evening back in the seventies when long hair was the fashion well this fellow had hair down his back. I ordered two pints of Murphy's and Tom said to me I'll serve you But I won't serve the lady when I told him that he was a man he only smiled and said well he should be a lady. He had a real dry sense of humour he still had a smile on his face when he gave us our pints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

She was the wife of John O'Donoghue who had a bicycle shop in Arundel lane. I'm glad to say that I knew them both as the were lovely people.
    Did they have a son called John? I think they lived in The Folly and they were anything but 'lovely'. No-one there liked them.

FishBowel wrote: »
    Did they have a son called John? I think they lived in The Folly and they were anything but 'lovely'. No-one there liked them.

Ah look I only got punctures repaired and had my first few pints from these people and I was always treated with respect even if I got the odd yellow card.As both are dead and gone now I would prefer to keep those pleasant memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Ah look I only got punctures repaired and had my first few pints from these people and I was always treated with respect even if I got the odd yellow card.As both are dead and gone now I would prefer to keep those pleasant memories.

Nothing wrong with good memories. Nothing wrong with saying it how it is either. Some people get on with people and dont get on with others. I dont think I knew the people so Im neutral on them :)

The furniture in the bar was of the shebeen era. A keg for a table. You would always get a great bottle of stout there stored on a flag floor. The first time I was in there I couldn't believe it was a working bar in the middle of town. As far as I know there was a dispute as the building was condemned. Do you remember O'Donoghue's bar in Greyfriar's lane just of the Quay, if you cursed Mrs O'Donoghue would show you a yellow card and if there was a repeat offence it was a red card and you were barred for a day. We used to have some laugh when she turned her back one of us would shout fcuk and quick as a flash she would say who said that own up or your all bared. Sure we would all be breaking our sides laughing and she would give in and tell us all we were grand lads.She didn't mind as long as we didn't say Jesus that was a straight red. She was the wife of John O'Donoghue who had a bicycle shop in Arundel lane. I'm glad to say that I knew them both as the were lovely people. .I had a pint with my father in Tom Mahers a few times. I brought one of my friends in for a pint one Saturday evening back in the seventies when long hair was the fashion well this fellow had hair down his back. I ordered two pints of Murphy's and Tom said to me I'll serve you But I won't serve the lady when I told him that he was a man he only smiled and said well he should be a lady. He had a real dry sense of humour he still had a smile on his face when he gave us our pints.
    I remember the Bike shop in Arundel Lane - Half way up - opposite the Beer 'n' Bite (from which I got barred - the bar I mean). Never did business there though, since I served a bit of time in Wrights Bicycle Shop, as a summer job and learned a lot. Gawd Bless George and Henrietta Wright!
    Fcuk!
    You've brought back a lot of memories about Tom Mahers!
    When I was repping from Dublin, I invariably ended up in Waterford for about 4 days at a time. Halcyon days! Anywho, I would phone Jack (R.I.P), my Dad, and say "let's go for a pint". We would end up in Toms - amazing!!!
    Did you know that he is the only (known) publican to have thrown Guinness's out! I kid you not - he fcuked Guinness's out!!!! Resaon? Very simple - while T&H's etc., were selling pints of Guinness for about ₤2.30, Tom was selling it for ₤1.10. Soooo, the Guinness rep, getting a lot of grief from the local publicans, decided to take action and confront Mr. Haher. "Mr. Maher", says he, "Would you mind putting your price up by, maybe, 10 or 20p"?". I will not put the price up", says Tom. "I'll tell you what I will do, though - I will allow you behind this bar, and allow you to remove your kegs and taps!". Can you IMAGINE that poor idiot going back to his Sales Manager, trying to explain how he had actually LOST an account? Unheard of - but Tom did it. If you want anymore stories about Tom's (all true) please ask.

I don't understand. Why does Fishbowel always have to be so critical? I think that if you have a bad memory concerning sombody's post - that's fair enough, but let the person who posted it enjoy the memory. Let's hear some of your POSITIVE memories please Fishbowel. I'm not knocking you - I just think that people come here to reminisce about times gone by. Happy times. Relaxez vous s'il vous plait! That's Waterford for Fcukin' relax Boy!

• Advertisement

I remember the Bike shop in Arundel Lane - Half way up - opposite the Beer 'n' Bite (from which I got barred - the bar I mean). Never did business there though, since I served a bit of time in Wrights Bicycle Shop, as a summer job and learned a lot. Gawd Bless George and Henrietta Wright!
    Fcuk!
    You've brought back a lot of memories about Tom Mahers!
    When I was repping from Dublin, I invariably ended up in Waterford for about 4 days at a time. Halcyon days! Anywho, I would phone Jack (R.I.P), my Dad, and say "let's go for a pint". We would end up in Toms - amazing!!!
    Did you know that he is the only (known) publican to have thrown Guinness's out! I kid you not - he fcuked Guinness's out!!!! Resaon? Very simple - while T&H's etc., were selling pints of Guinness for about ₤2.30, Tom was selling it for ₤1.10. Soooo, the Guinness rep, getting a lot of grief from the local publicans, decided to take action and confront Mr. Haher. "Mr. Maher", says he, "Would you mind putting your price up by, maybe, 10 or 20p"?". I will not put the price up", says Tom. "I'll tell you what I will do, though - I will allow you behind this bar, and allow you to remove your kegs and taps!". Can you IMAGINE that poor idiot going back to his Sales Manager, trying to explain how he had actually LOST an account? Unheard of - but Tom did it. If you want anymore stories about Tom's (all true) please ask.
    Memories are playing tricks here O'Donoghue's Arundal Lane was arcoss from Wallace's remember The bear and Biite was Blackfriers.

Advertisement