Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

There's a great story about Tom Maher and the year he married Mary who was his housekeeper for years. Its well known but well worth retelling for those who never heard it. Well the year Tom and Mary tied the knot was the year Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon 1969. One of Tom's customer's was reading the famous headline in the paper when he turned to Tom and said 'See this Tom man has landed on the moon' and Tom said sure that's nothing there's a woman in Maher's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paranoidpoker

LMAO, some classic memorys, how about sizzlers on the quay beside jordans best mixed grill open all hours,quinlans pig toes up in the hovel,Mad tex lived in a caravan back of hilliview big american flag on it,blue cabs barrack street had couple of games outback,2 litre bottles of bulmers (aka)double bumbler,bollicky whelan taking pop shots at kids,The great polo party, teleton was on in red square turned into a brawl,beat on the street,first pacman game joe o sheas tramore i reckon,the path up the side of the pub in sallypark taking you up the golf linx,joey the blonk, 8 till late on the quay first shop to grab hold of the hot food concept properly and of course sniffing tippex and bags of glue up the mount sion washed down by a dozen cans of hoffmans lolllllllllllllll

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

Anybody remember these? :p

Where's the pic? :eek:

Comments please.

doctordon wrote: »
    Where's the pic? :eek:

Turn him upside down and he had a clean shaven smile. 2d would have bought 120 blades for a £1 just imagine.

• Advertisement

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Turn him upside down and he had a clean shaven smile. 2d would have bought 120 blades for a £1 just imagine.
    Give that man a Jelly Tot! Congratulations Sir! Not many people remember them.

The packaging was green in color, and I remember, as a kid, my Dad taking them home. I was flabbergasted at the two drawings contained in one - in fact - my flabber was never so gasted! Great marketing - great memories. My dad never took his shirt off to shave - instead, he would turn his collar inside-out and shave away. I used to stand there, watching him, and see him turn into "Mac's Smiles" with his "Safety Razor". He invariably had at least one sliver of toilet paper attached to his chin when he had finished.

Remember this - "get it behind your ears, you could grow potatoes there!".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

3556596643a5477479991l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    3556596643a5477479991l.jpg

going down to darrers to exchange the butter vouchers.

During a conversation with someone from the midlands recently, I happened to mention going to the labour exchange back in the mid-90's and they looked at me with puzzlement, they'd never heard a dole office being called the labour exchange before but its still a term in current usage in Waterford, I guess the term must have died out elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

During a conversation with someone from the midlands recently, I happened to mention going to the labour exchange back in the mid-90's and they looked at me with puzzlement, they'd never heard a dole office being called the labour exchange before but its still a term in current usage in Waterford, I guess the term must have died out elsewhere.
    Could be down to Waterford having multi-channel cable TV for around 40 years or so while the Midlands was stuck with just RTE (and RTE 1 1/2) for most of that time. :) Then again Waterford, being a city, would have had its own labour exchange from early in the last century. I don't know if villages and small towns would have have had their own dedicated labour exchanges.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

^ when I moved to Waterford from Australia as a teenager in the 70's and heard the expression Labour Exchange I decided that it should actually be called the Labrador Exchange. :)

Remember this - "get it behind your ears, you could grow potatoes there!".

An old good joke. 'Man slips in the shower on a bar of soap and said 'Oh well that's Life Boy'. If you were poor there was always 'Sunlight'.

Give that man a Jelly Tot! Congratulations Sir! Not many people remember them.

The packaging was green in color, and I remember, as a kid, my Dad taking them home. I was flabbergasted at the two drawings contained in one - in fact - my flabber was never so gasted! Great marketing - great memories. My dad never took his shirt off to shave - instead, he would turn his collar inside-out and shave away. I used to stand there, watching him, and see him turn into "Mac's Smiles" with his "Safety Razor". He invariably had at least one sliver of toilet paper attached to his chin when he had finished.

I'm going to bed now but did you know that these blades were made in Wicklow in the same factory that Sanderson Saws were made.You would have to be in the trade to understand this one. God bless Johnny Hearne Builders down the Back Lane along the Waterside over the bridge to South Parade.

An old good joke. 'Man slips in the shower on a bar of soap and said 'Oh well that's Life Boy'. If you were poor there was always 'Sunlight'.

I remember that :D

I'm going to bed now but did you know that these blades were made in Wicklow in the same factory that Sanderson Saws were made.You would have to be in the trade to understand this one. God bless Johnny Hearne Builders down the Back Lane along the Waterside over the bridge to South Parade.
    Sorry Mc. You were dead right about the Beer and Bite, but I'm afraid you're wrong about the blades. Have a look at the bottom of the pic. - Enniscorthy.

My Father's favorite tobacco

Almost forgot about this

http://youtu.be/WzBxYi7IKzc

Sorry Mc. You were dead right about the Beer and Bite, but I'm afraid you're wrong about the blades. Have a look at the bottom of the pic. - Enniscorthy.

I'd get four of the best from Gubby Gleeson in Mount Sion for that. Did he ever teach you, he used to keep his leather in the press and only take it out for special occasions which was every day. He loved it so much he used to call it Mhicalen Dubh. He wasn't the worst there though, do you remember Bro. Maxwell, now there was a sadist that man got extreme pleasure from floggings boys in his class for the least offence. He was teaching us how to play the tin whistle after school hours when one of the lads was having a laugh at his expense. All we were really doing was laughing at something very silly. Well he went bald headed for one particular lad and beat him so hard he had froth coming out of his mouth and when he was finished he had a smirk on his face and threatened the rest of us that we would get the same for being smart. We were all only ten and eleven and I can tell you that was my last tin whistle lesson in Mount Sion. He had the nickname Maxwell Smart.

I'd get four of the best from Gubby Gleeson in Mount Sion for that. Did he ever teach you, he used to keep his leather in the press and only take it out for special occasions which was every day. He loved it so much he used to call it Mhicalen Dubh. He wasn't the worst there though, do you remember Bro. Maxwell, now there was a sadist that man got extreme pleasure from floggings boys in his class for the least offence. He was teaching us how to play the tin whistle after school hours when one of the lads was having a laugh at his expense. All we were really doing was laughing at something very silly. Well he went bald headed for one particular lad and beat him so hard he had froth coming out of his mouth and when he was finished he had a smirk on his face and threatened the rest of us that we would get the same for being smart. We were all only ten and eleven and I can tell you that was my last tin whistle lesson in Mount Sion. He had the nickname Maxwell Smart.
    I don't remember any of those guys. We had a Bro. Gleeson in primary - but he was a very quiet and pious man.
    The resident sadist, at that time was Bro. Sheridan, who had class 17 on the 2nd. floor. This guy was certifiable. I remember some days - when it was comming up to lunch time - he would stare out the window, as if in a trance, and say, quite audibly "Chips..........Chops.........Beeeeeeeeeeans!". This is the same guy who had the head slapped off him by Tommy Marx's mother (I sat beside Tommy).
    There was also "Old" Bro. Murphy, who used to buy his canes in bulk from Bridgie Walsh. He enjoyed patrolling the corridors and really loved to catch you sneaking into school late. He had a legendary aim with the cane. He would get you, right on the tips of the fingers, which on a winters morning, meant you had the pain for the whole day!
    The REAL loopers, however were in secondary. Bro. Spellacy ("Duis - give that boy a Jelly Tot!). :confused:
    Bro. "Fish" Ahearne (I don't think I ever saw him sober, but a real gentleman).
    Bro. "Gramps". ("You're taking up space and eating up oxygen"). His "teaching aid" of choice was the heavy end of a drum stick, which he would bounce on the top of your head (I took it from him one day and broke it across my knee). :D
    We also had some sane brothers: Br. "The Duke" Murphy - who had eyes in the back of his head!
    "Big Ben", who, because of his size, was terrifying! He was a real gentle giant, however, and a very intelligent man.

The one teacher who sticks in my memory though is Mrs. Torcan. She lived on Johns Hill and taught 1st. Babies. The reason she sticks in my memory is because on my first day at school, for some reason, she beat me across the floor from one end of the room to the other and back again. That was over 50 years ago, but the memory is still vivid. Sadist of the year! :mad:

I never went to the Secondary as I went straight to the Tech after sixth class because of Maxwell he frightened the life out of me. Sure I knew Tommy Marks very well he took a fair few beatings for nothing. Was that Bro Murphy a big tall man with grey hair if it was him he used to love running his hand up the leg of your trousers and rub your arse after he gave you a slap of his cane. I was very young and didn't have a clue about the facts of life but this always felt very wrong and really frightened me Also why I refused to go to the secondary was I couldn't handle the Irish, most of the beatings I got was for Irish. It was after I left school and started working and going away on holidays that I realized how important our native tongue is to us. All those fellows did was beat the Irish out of us. You must remember Bro. Duggan the principal I saw him give Harry Miller an awful beating one day, the more he hit Harry the more Harry swore at him. Leather, fists and when Harry fell to the ground he started kicking him.When his sister came to the school Duggan hid and would not meet her. That's Bro Gleeson alright as I said he wasn't the worst of them as a matter of fact he is still hail and harty and still residing in Mount Sion. Peader Gleesonis is his name if you Google Mount Sion there are photographs of him on the site. I was just wondering was that Miss Durkan in low babies a tall severe looking woman with a big mole on her face. She actuallly died when I was in her class and then we got a real lady called Mrs O'Neill. She was widowed very young and seemed very sad but what a lady.

• Advertisement

I never went to the Secondary as I went straight to the Tech after sixth class because of Maxwell he frightened the life out of me. Sure I knew Tommy Marks very well he took a fair few beatings for nothing. Was that Bro Murphy a big tall man with grey hair if it was him he used to love running his hand up the leg of your trousers and rub your arse after he gave you a slap of his cane. I was very young and didn't have a clue about the facts of life but this always felt very wrong and really frightened me Also why I refused to go to the secondary was I couldn't handle the Irish, most of the beatings I got was for Irish. It was after I left school and started working and going away on holidays that I realized how important our native tongue is to us. All those fellows did was beat the Irish out of us. You must remember Bro. Duggan the principal I saw him give Harry Miller an awful beating one day, the more he hit Harry the more Harry swore at him. Leather, fists and when Harry fell to the ground he started kicking him.When his sister came to the school Duggan hid and would not meet her. That's Bro Gleeson alright as I said he wasn't the worst of them as a matter of fact he is still hail and harty and still residing in Mount Sion. Peader Gleesonis is his name if you Google Mount Sion there are photographs of him on the site. I was just wondering was that Miss Durkan in low babies a tall severe looking woman with a big mole on her face. She actuallly died when I was in her class and then we got a real lady called Mrs O'Neill. She was widowed very young and seemed very sad but what a lady.
    Thanks Mc. Miss Durkan - That's the bitch! How any adult could do that to a 4 year old is beyond me.

I thought Duggan was the principal of the secondary (he had a reputation of being sadistic, and even had studs in his leather, though, in fairness, I never heard of him using it) - Poor Tommy never had a hope.

Thanks Mc. Miss Durkan - That's the bitch! How any adult could do that to a 4 year old is beyond me.

I thought Duggan was the principal of the secondary (he had a reputation of being sadistic, and even had studs in his leather, though, in fairness, I never heard of him using it) - Poor Tommy never had a hope.

I jumped over the Mount Sion wall to get a ball that my friend kicked in there, just as I was about to get the ball Duggan pounced on me, you'd swear he caught me breaking windows, he addressed me in Irish and I answered him in English. I'll never forgot the abuse he gave me, I never had any respect for that man after that. Always got the impression that he enjoyed putting fear into young boys, after all that's all we were. Remember the tin sheds that were used for classrooms on the Barrack St side of the school. We used to get Irish dancing lessons there from Nancy Troy, she had some great sayings "Lift your legs lads the'll fall by themselves" "Boys who can dance will get the girls lads God help ye". We only done it for a doss and get away from the classroom for an hour but we were copped onto fairly quickly and t'was back to the torture chamber. Never mastered the dance moves but done ok in the Ardree after with the girls Nancy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Would any Mount Sion head know the name of a rock musical performed there around November 1985? It was not a school production, they just used the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

FishBowel wrote: »
    Would any Mount Sion head know the name of a rock musical performed there around November 1985? It was not a school production, they just used the venue.

Suffer little children.

Local Cafe's that were in Waterford in the sixties and seventies, Ina Heskins on Gladstone St. Mackey's Cafe on the Quay, Higgin's ice cream parlour between Kelly's and the Bank on the Quay, The Lido Cafe, The Odeon Cafe and of course The Savoy Cafe all on Barronstrand St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Old Brother Murphy used to come to the side gate of the Brown Netties and throw sweets into the nettles for us children in short pant's and watch us being stung trying to retrieve them the dirty Bxxxxxx.

marlin vs wrote: »
    Old Brother Murphy used to come to the side gate of the Brown Netties and throw sweets into the nettles for us children in short pant's and watch us being stung trying to retrieve them the dirty Bxxxxxx.

Hey I was one of those children. Remember old Bro. Clifford, he always had loads of sweets for us when he came into the Brown Netties. My time around that neighbourhood was pre 1967. Our playgrounds were vast,

Hey I was one of those children. Remember old Bro. Clifford, he always had loads of sweets for us when he came into the Brown Netties. My time around that neighbourhood was pre 1967. Our playgrounds were vast,
    Where is Brown Netties? Never heard of it. :confused:

Where is Brown Netties? Never heard of it. :confused:
    Do you remember the Convent Hill area in the sixties before Mount Sion School expanded and took in the whole area. At the corner of Convent Hill and Hennessy's Rd across the road from Rice Park there was waste ground in front of a row of houses up on a height from Hennessy's Rd. You could access it from Convent Hill on the right hand side of the hill going down. Women lived in these big old houses who fell down on their luck I guess you could call them tenement buildings. They were the property of Mount Sion and there was a gate that went into the gardens of the school and often brothers would come out and put the run on you if they caught you in there. Some were kind though. In the early sixties there were big trees there which made it an ideal playground for all us young lads. We were friendly with all the old ladies who lived there. There was one particular lady who we called Madame because she was a real old fashioned lady. When I saw the name Brown Netties memories flooded back to another time now long gone.

• Advertisement

Do you remember the Convent Hill area in the sixties before Mount Sion School expanded and took in the whole area. At the corner of Convent Hill and Hennessy's Rd across the road from Rice Park there was waste ground in front of a row of houses up on a height from Hennessy's Rd. You could access it from Convent Hill on the right hand side of the hill going down. Women lived in these big old houses who fell down on their luck I guess you could call them tenement buildings. They were the property of Mount Sion and there was a gate that went into the gardens of the school and often brothers would come out and put the run on you if they caught you in there. Some were kind though. In the early sixties there were big trees there which made it an ideal playground for all us young lads. We were friendly with all the old ladies who lived there. There was one particular lady who we called Madame because she was a real old fashioned lady. When I saw the name Brown Netties memories flooded back to another time now long gone.
    Yes! Thank you! I vaguely remember those little houses - though I never knew what they were called. We tended to shy away from convent hill - because of "The Headless Nun" which used to pray at the shrine at the bottom of the hill. Turn right at the bottom and first left. I remember the shrine was built against the gable end of a house on Hennessy's Road (I think) and the entrance of Rice Park. Scary when you are a kid.
    Also in that area, I remember, I had a horrible accident one Sunday morning. I was about 9 I think and I was late for mass in St. John's. I was running, and because it was a cold morning, I had my hands stuffed into my pockets. Anywho, I turned the corner into Castle Street - still running as fast as I could - and tripped. My hands were still in my pockets so I stopped myself from falling with my head! Have you noticed how steep that hill is at the top? I can still see the ground comming up to meet me. I woke up in the house of a very kind lady who had taken me in and looked after me, God Bless her.
    But, I had a fcukin' sliothar on my forehead for about 2 weeks. I never ran on Castle Street again. :eek:

Advertisement