Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

Suffer little children.
    Not "The Rocky Horror Show'? Now, can you imagine the headlines:

Shock Horror - Christian Brothers stage "Rocky Horror Show"!! HaHa!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

doctordon wrote: »
    Yes! Thank you! I vaguely remember those little houses - though I never knew what they were called. We tended to shy away from convent hill - because of "The Headless Nun" which used to pray at the shrine at the bottom of the hill. Turn right at the bottom and first left. I remember the shrine was built against the gable end of a house on Hennessy's Road (I think) and the entrance of Rice Park. Scary when you are a kid.
    Also in that area, I remember, I had a horrible accident one Sunday morning. I was about 9 I think and I was late for mass in St. John's. I was running, and because it was a cold morning, I had my hands stuffed into my pockets. Anywho, I turned the corner into Castle Street - still running as fast as I could - and tripped. My hands were still in my pockets so I stopped myself from falling with my head! Have you noticed how steep that hill is at the top? I can still see the ground comming up to meet me. I woke up in the house of a very kind lady who had taken me in and looked after me, God Bless her.
    But, I had a fcukin' sliothar on my forehead for about 2 weeks. I never ran on Castle Street again. :eek:
    You should have seen the ruins of the old church that was there before the shrine, now that was creepy, we used to sit against the wall of the ruin on dark winter nights and listen to the older lads telling ghost stories. We would go home scared sh**less. Castle St, I got a great idea one day to run as fast as I could down that hill well half way down I went head over heels and made bits of my nose, there was blood every. I was taken in by a kind gentleman who cleaned me up. It was a great neighbourhood to grow up in some really lovely people lived all around those streets. Ill never forget them.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    You should have seen the ruins of the old church that was there before the shrine, now that was creepy, we used to sit against the wall of the ruin on dark winter nights and listen to the older lads telling ghost stories. We would go home scared sh**less. Castle St, I got a great idea one day to run as fast as I could down that hill well half way down I went head over heels and made bits of my nose, there was blood every. I was taken in by a kind gentleman who cleaned me up. It was a great neighbourhood to grow up in some really lovely people lived all around those streets. Ill never forget them.
    Mc., you are sooo right! There were a heap of great neighborhoods in Waterford when I was growing up (or...when I was being dragged up..Haha!).

People looked after people. People trusted one another and watched each others backs. What the HELL happened?
    Say what you like about the C.B.S. - there were some sadistic bastards - but, I have to say that they taught us values.
    Jaysus, I remember being terrified, playing football on the street where I lived - in case "The Fuzz" came on a bicycle!!!!!!!
    Now, we have scumbags, sticking sawn-off shotguns up peoples noses, breaking into old and vulnerable peoples houses and beating them up, for the price of a "fix". There is only ONE fix for that SIHT!
    Before I left Eire, I made a lot of money installing Alarm Systems. It saddened me to install such a system into the home of, shall we say, and "older person". I thought of my parents, who 40 - 50 years ago, left the key in the Yale Lock of the front door. Can you imagine doing that now?

I think that this will REALLY "stir the siht" - start a debate..........

Bring back Corporal Punishment - WITH STRICT GUIDELINES - keep the sadistic bastards out of it!

Re-teach values to our kids (they are our future). Let's get our communities back to the way they were. Let's allow our Senior Citizens enjoy life, without fear, in the knowledge that they are supported within the community. They supported us as we grew up - the LEAST we can do now, is support them.

End of rant! :cool:

Mc., you are sooo right! There were a heap of great neighborhoods in Waterford when I was growing up (or...when I was being dragged up..Haha!).

People looked after people. People trusted one another and watched each others backs. What the HELL happened?
    Say what you like about the C.B.S. - there were some sadistic bastards - but, I have to say that they taught us values.
    Jaysus, I remember being terrified, playing football on the street where I lived - in case "The Fuzz" came on a bicycle!!!!!!!
    Now, we have scumbags, sticking sawn-off shotguns up peoples noses, breaking into old and vulnerable peoples houses and beating them up, for the price of a "fix". There is only ONE fix for that SIHT!
    Before I left Eire, I made a lot of money installing Alarm Systems. It saddened me to install such a system into the home of, shall we say, and "older person". I thought of my parents, who 40 - 50 years ago, left the key in the Yale Lock of the front door. Can you imagine doing that now?

I think that this will REALLY "stir the siht" - start a debate..........

Bring back Corporal Punishment - WITH STRICT GUIDELINES - keep the sadistic bastards out of it!

Re-teach values to our kids (they are our future). Let's get our communities back to the way they were. Let's allow our Senior Citizens enjoy life, without fear, in the knowledge that they are supported within the community. They supported us as we grew up - the LEAST we can do now, is support them.

End of rant! :cool:
    Religion played a big part in the way we lived our lives when we were young.Think about the way our parents lived there lives it was all around the church. Did you ever use bad language when your parents were around. I know I didn't because if I did I would get the hiding of my life and then I would be packed off to confession for my sins. Most people around our area had very little but I can tell you they had great values. Ireland was a very inward looking country when Dev was in power. Look back at old footage of big games played in Croke Park when the captains of both teams would kneel down and kiss the Bishops ring. Even in school fear was the weapon of choice not to say yes Mount Sion did give us an education also with very little means. I remember when Television first started coming into our homes the warnings that we got from all the religious institution's about how it would corrupt us. Well knowing what we know now after all the scandals in this country we can never go back to the way things were and I wouldn't ask to return to those ways but it is a great pity our values have corroded and drugs have taken a big hold over a large part of our society.You could live on a road now and not know your neighbour's. Its a pity in some ways but in other ways its not such a pity. To quote Yeats all is changed, changed forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

does anyone remember Vincent O Brien taught 5th and 6th class in mount Sion in the late sixties, there was a man who was fond of using the leather. He also had a passion for the horses many of us learned how to back horses from going on messages for him in powers bookies in barrack street. Think he had a name on the leather called it Mickey Joe

• Advertisement

does anyone remember Vincent O Brien taught 5th and 6th class in mount Sion in the late sixties, there was a man who was fond of using the leather. He also had a passion for the horses many of us learned how to back horses from going on messages for him in powers bookies in barrack street. Think he had a name on the leather called it Mickey Joe

I think that's Fintan O'Brien who taught first standard you might be thinking of. Mount Sion was famous for the leather.

Religion played a big part in the way we lived our lives when we were young.Think about the way our parents lived there lives it was all around the church. Did you ever use bad language when your parents were around. I know I didn't because if I did I would get the hiding of my life and then I would be packed off to confession for my sins. Most people around our area had very little but I can tell you they had great values. Ireland was a very inward looking country when Dev was in power. Look back at old footage of big games played in Croke Park when the captains of both teams would kneel down and kiss the Bishops ring. Even in school fear was the weapon of choice not to say yes Mount Sion did give us an education also with very little means. I remember when Television first started coming into our homes the warnings that we got from all the religious institution's about how it would corrupt us. Well knowing what we know now after all the scandals in this country we can never go back to the way things were and I wouldn't ask to return to those ways but it is a great pity our values have corroded and drugs have taken a big hold over a large part of our society.You could live on a road now and not know your neighbour's. Its a pity in some ways but in other ways its not such a pity. To quote Yeats all is changed, changed forever.
    Mc. How do you control a society - a Nation, if you will? You put in place a Government and a Religion.

If society rebels against the Government, the religion says "Tut Tut! That is wrong"!

If you rebel against the Religion, The Government says "Tut Tut! That is wrong!

I will not be dictated to by people who run a country by such means. This is one of the reasons I left Ireland.

If I offend anybody with the following statement - I apologize!!!

Personally, I have no time for Irish politicians (note the lower case)

Further, I have no time for the catholic church (again lower case).

I am a Christian - I believe in Jesus and God with all my heart, but I hate people who have turned religion into a business - remember Fr. Keane of St. John's? When my Father struggled to put food on our table, Fr. Keane drove a BMW!!

Years ago, I had a very good friend who was a member of the Blessed Sacrament Community in Dublin. One night while we we were having a drink - as was our wont of an evening - he said, "Denis, I love being a Priest, but I hate organized religion". This is the same man who, when questioned about The Holy Trinity, explained it as follows: "It's like water. There are three stages - Ice, Water and Steam, three in one. No Catechism could teach you that. He was a true Priest. He has since died, but I sincerely hope he taught more on his way.

Please don't get me wrong - I am not a Jesus Freak - I just crave honesty! :rolleyes:

I think that's Fintan O'Brien who taught first standard you might be thinking of. Mount Sion was famous for the leather.
    I remember Fintan O'Brian. He was a lay teacher in Primary school in Mount Sion.

I have nothing but respect for the man.

I remember that there was a Black Board and a Green Board in class number 6 which was Fintan's class. The black Board was used for teaching, while the Green Board was where Fintan drew (in chalk) the most amazing (to a child) animal caricatures.

I never saw him use any type of violence towards his pupils.

I remember also that I was upset one day (I can't remember why) and he came to my desk. He picked me up in his arms (nothing untoward) and said "It's alright Denis".

I'm talking about 50 years ago, but I never forgot that man. A true Gentleman!

I remember Fintan O'Brian. He was a lay teacher in Primary school in Mount Sion.

I remember that there was a Black Board and a Green Board in class number 6 which was Fintan's class. The black Board was used for teaching, while the Green Board was where Fintan drew (in chalk) the most amazing (to a child) animal caricatures.

I remember also that I was upset one day (I can't remember why) and he came to my desk. He picked me up in his arms (nothing untoward) and said "It's alright Denis".

I had a drink with Fintan in the St Ledger in Tramore a good few years ago just after he retired from teaching. He told me he had spent almost all his life in Mount Sion as pupil and teacher and he seemed to regret spending so much of his time there. Well I said Fintan I'm glad you were there when I was a little lad because I loved everyday of school in his class. He did have a leather though he would give you a chase around the class with it. Its the only time I got a laugh out of somebody chasing me with a leather. I remember Fr Keane very well he was known as Bingo Bobby because of his efforts to raise the cash for The Sacred Heart Church and St Benilda's. I never saw a priest on a bike in Ireland did you. My Mother told me she remembered a time when a Priest walked down the footpath you were expected to step off to let him pass. Nobody should have that sort of power over anybody. Glad to say those days are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

+1. Himself and Mr Dowling in no.17 were the only 2 real teachers in Mount Sion the rest were sadistic.

• Advertisement

marlin vs wrote: »
    +1. Himself and Mr Dowling in no.17 were the only 2 real teachers in Mount Sion the rest were sadistic.
    I remember Mr. Dowling - lived on the Manor. There was also Mr. O'Connor, another gentleman. Don't forget Patsy Cahill in secondary school - taught us Latin. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Was Bro. Dowling someone different then?

What about O'Connor, Hayden. O'Regan and Costigan, they weren't a bad bunch of lay teachers, Costigan and O'Regan did not teach me but I got to know them on school trips and they were always good fun. Do you remember the chant we had for Costigan. A B C D E F. Archibaid Costigan died eating fish, but you are right Dick Dowling was a gentleman of a teacher. Anyone remember a Bro. King I remember that man as being a real sadist, my younger brother was in his class and struggled at school, well this man beat any confidence that the poor lad had out of him. I remember him for a particular cruelty that to this day I still think of with venom. When my brother could not keep up with class or had his homework wrong he would beat him and then humiliate him in front of the class. To stick the final nail in he would summon me down to his classroom and have me stand before the class and tell me how stupid my brother was while I look down at him with tears in his eyes and then give me four of the best for not helping him with his homework He used to have glee in his eyes when the class would laugh at our misery after being prompted by him. I used to dream of ways of ways to get that man but he struck such fear in us and remember I was only around ten years of age. That was an education of a different kind that has never left me to this day. He was shifted off after very quickly as was done in those days when a scandal loomed. Today I think he would get jail for that behavior. It also hurt me that the teacher I had at the time who sent me down to Kings class knew what was going on as I would come back very upset. Would you wonder why when I got the chance to go to the Tech I jumped at it.

I forgot about Mr Crowe who taught me english in the secondary,he could bring a book to life and it was a pleasure to go into his class.

I forgot about Mr Crowe who taught me english in the secondary,he could bring a book to life and it was a pleasure to go into his class.

I never had the pleasure but I was told that he was a great teacher.

Anybody remember An Tuasail O'Mahunach (Mr. O'Mahony) in secondary - the I.R.A. man. As far as I know - never laid a hand on any of his pupils.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Sean Dunne's book In my father's house recalls that Mount Sion era.

Anybody remember An Tuasail O'Mahunach (Mr. O'Mahony) in secondary - the I.R.A. man. As far as I know - never laid a hand on any of his pupils.
    I remember him but he never taught me, but Brother Cambell did what a little Scotch bxxxxx he used to pick on one particular lad in my class all day every day.

Patsy pops, Flash Bars, Bottle of Big Brother and you would get change out of a half crown for all of them. If you had a half crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Probably mentioned already but here goes.... The Green Bank and Mayor's Walk cake shops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

I'm sorry if someone has mentioned it but. FITZMAURICE'S! That place was like a wonderland to me as a kid. Just going into that place was a treat if I was good while my mother dragged me around Penny's. And the pinwheel guy outside of Dunne's who my mother would never buy from because "he's a f***ing millionaire!"

Ah.. childhood memories of my cheap mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

The cake shop in the mayors walk was called "leathys" they had the best doughnuts in town crispy on the outside loads of sugar on the outside yum!! Does anyone remember Ned Hartleys sweet shop in lower yellow road in the 70s & 80s ,he used to sell broken chocolate, and boiled sweets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Delicato's video game arcade in John's Street. Spent a lot of coins in there.

The cake shop in the mayors walk was called "leathys" they had the best doughnuts in town crispy on the outside loads of sugar on the outside yum!! Does anyone remember Ned Hartleys sweet shop in lower yellow road in the 70s & 80s ,he used to sell broken chocolate, and boiled sweets.

Remember it very well his boiled sweets would give you broken teeth. Went back with a bag of chips to Ned Elliot's year's ago when I took a lump out of a tooth from a stone that was in the bag. I complained, hey Ned there's a stone in my chips and he answers, that's nothing I found a penny in me bread now get out.

Anybody remember these.........

It is signed on the back by 4 guys, who obviously spent 2/6 (Half a Crown) each. A lot of money then.

Sorry I can't show you the signatures, since some idiot stuck it down with super glue when they were framing it for me. If you look closely though, you can just about make out a couple of them.

Anybody remember these.........

It is signed on the back by 4 guys, who obviously spent 2/6 (Half a Crown) each. A lot of money then.

Sorry I can't show you the signatures, since some idiot stuck it down with super glue when they were framing it for me. If you look closely though, you can just about make out a couple of them.

Where would The Glass Factory have been only for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I never had the pleasure but I was told that he was a great teacher.

He wasn't all that great, seemed to have a bit of a fixation about Zig And Zag for some reason.

Dunno if anyone remembers Rocks?, Mr Roche as he was otherwise known. He was a right bastid, even after corporal punishment had been banned he'd give you a punch in the side of the head if you did anything wrong. Pulling fellas up by the hair and throwing them out the classroom door was another speciality of his.

I heard a rumour that he retired and "went off to the missions in africa to teach kids". I don't know if theres any truth to that but I suppose he'd be able to terrorise kids out there much worse than he could have in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The cake shop in the mayors walk was called "leathys" they had the best doughnuts in town crispy on the outside loads of sugar on the outside yum!!

It was spelled Leahy's. They had the best Vanilla Slices in the town by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Yep, that's the name. Wonder why it ever closed down. Always seem to be busy to me?

• Advertisement

Vanilla slices and doughnuts from Leahy's, Cream Buns from Walls, Crusty Blaa's from Harney's. Beam me back to the seventies Scoty.

Advertisement