Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Yep, that's the name. Wonder why it ever closed down. Always seem to be busy to me?

iirc the parents decided to retire and none of the family wanted to take over. It finished as a going concern and its a real pity that its gone, one of the best confectioners the city ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

He wasn't all that great, seemed to have a bit of a fixation about Zig And Zag for some reason.

Dunno if anyone remembers Rocks?, Mr Roche as he was otherwise known. He was a right bastid, even after corporal punishment had been banned he'd give you a punch in the side of the head if you did anything wrong. Pulling fellas up by the hair and throwing them out the classroom door was another speciality of his.

I heard a rumour that he retired and "went off to the missions in africa to teach kids". I don't know if theres any truth to that but I suppose he'd be able to terrorise kids out there much worse than he could have in Ireland.
    Roache was a PCRIK!!! He was as sadistic as they come. He enjoyed inflicting pain on kids. Reason he was called "Rocks"? Quiz guys! There is a "Duis" for anybody who remembers.:p

Remember his mate? Skinny little fcuk, whose name I can't remember. It was rumored that this pcrik broke some kids arm. I have no evidence - but that WAS the rumor! :eek:

A pair of SADISTIC fcuks!

Everybody had this particular "teacher". Brilliant! :D

http://youtu.be/FrujV0PG_7k

Nominations please.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Vanilla slices and doughnuts from Leahy's, Cream Buns from Walls, Crusty Blaa's from Harney's. Beam me back to the seventies Scoty.
    It canna tak nae more Cap'n!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Years ago there used to be a little shop up in Lisduggan called Burke's.

It was in a small garden shed and you usually had to knock on the back door to get the shopkeeper's attention.

You then tapped on the lids of the containers to specify what you wanted. Five of those, two of them etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Years ago there used to be a little shop up in Lisduggan called Burke's.

It was in a small garden shed and you usually had to knock on the back door to get the shopkeeper's attention.

You then tapped on the lids of the containers to specify what you wanted. Five of those, two of them etc.

Got a great laugh out of this but sure most shops around the neighbourhoods of yesterday were only front rooms of dwelling house's of people just trying to scrape a living. Give me one of the blue ones and three of the black ones and wait no no give me.:D Jasus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

doctordon wrote: »
    Roache was a PCRIK!!! He was as sadistic as they come. He enjoyed inflicting pain on kids. Reason he was called "Rocks"? Quiz guys! There is a "Duis" for anybody who remembers.:p

Remember his mate? Skinny little fcuk, whose name I can't remember. It was rumored that this pcrik broke some kids arm. I have no evidence - but that WAS the rumor! :eek:

A pair of SADISTIC fcuks!

Rocks was still there when I did my leaving cert in 1986 and he was still lifting fellas up by the locks :D,

Mr Crowe took over as vice principal when he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Not sure if it was only a Waterford thing, but when you brought a new baby out in the pram, people would put coins under the blanket at the babies feet. No one in Limerick had heard of people doing it, but I remember being told to take coin and money out of the pram in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Not sure if it was only a Waterford thing, but when you brought a new baby out in the pram, people would put coins under the blanket at the babies feet. No one in Limerick had heard of people doing it, but I remember being told to take coin and money out of the pram in the 80s.

Hmmm must go and ask me mother for me money that she collected on behalf so.

Silver for luck it was called. Well do ya feel lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Who remembers Birdy Maher now he was a real Christian brother that would practice Judo on you.What a cxxx.

marlin vs wrote: »
    Who remembers Birdy Maher now he was a real Christian brother that would practice Judo on you.What a cxxx.

Birdy Maher, was he human because he had no nature. I'd say he woke up every morning and swore to make some child's life miserable and i'd say he was successful most days.

"Quick! We have visitors comming! Go up to the shop and get a packet of Marietta and a toilet roll.......oh, and take the newspaper out of the toilet!".

"Quick! We have visitors comming! Go up to the shop and get a packet of Marietta and a toilet roll.......oh, and take the newspaper out of the toilet!".

The ink on the Munster Express was the worst it would leave a black streak on your arse if you were careless. Do you remember when you could buy biscuits by the pound. they were packed in tins with glass tops, as a matter of fact you could have them counted out, Mikado two for a penny. There was loads of ways to spend a penny in those days if you had a penny.

The ink on the Munster Express was the worst it would leave a black streak on your arse if you were careless. Do you remember when you could buy biscuits by the pound. they were packed in tins with glass tops, as a matter of fact you could have them counted out, Mikado two for a penny. There was loads of ways to spend a penny in those days if you had a penny.
    Yup! The L and N always had a huge Jacob's display. They also used to weigh out sugar, flour and butter, and I used to love their huge red slicing machine, on which they sliced ham (for the posh ppl) and red lead for the rest of us.

Remember Maureen?

http://youtu.be/sZUKllVjTMs

Brilliant where are you getting them out of. Yes I remember Maureen Potter she was one of the three amigo's from the Gaiety Theatre the other two being David Kelly and Jimmy O'Dea. The young RTE would have been shagged without them. Do you remember the back gate to the L&N, when it was open you could see the tea being bagged from the tea chests. Those tea chests were like gold we were forever bumming for them to put Rabbits in. Every house use to have tea chests it was quiet common to see cloth's packed in them.

Brilliant where are you getting them out of. Yes I remember Maureen Potter she was one of the three amigo's from the Gaiety Theatre the other two being David Kelly and Jimmy O'Dea. The young RTE would have been shagged without them. Do you remember the back gate to the L&N, when it was open you could see the tea being bagged from the tea chests. Those tea chests were like gold we were forever bumming for them to put Rabbits in. Every house use to have tea chests it was quiet common to see cloth's packed in them.
    Getting the pics is easy. Google whatever you want and click on images.

My Father used Tea Chests to store potatoes (for the winter) which he grew in the plots, at the top of Hennessy's Road (Flat Roofs end).

I just watched David Kelly in "Waking Ned Devine" last night. What a character he was. Remember "Rashers Tierney"? Brilliant.

Here ya go Mc., you can keep your runny babbit in this one!

Jimmy O'Dea was magical to us kids. I remember he had a show on R.T.E., just after the Angelus, when he would tell a story by candle light. I've tried to find some clips from the show but failed miserably. Have this instead. Jimmy plays the King.

http://youtu.be/7a_yhkH5jjw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Airmount and the Infirmary.

• Advertisement

The shot of David Kelly on the motorcycle in the nip has to be one of the funniest scenes I ever saw in a picture. An Irish film made in The Isle Of Man. I met David Kelly on the Quay once I think he was appearing in the Theatre Royal and I said well Rashers and he said to me would you ever fcuk off, not in an offensive manner though sure all I could do was laugh and so did he. I'd say he was sick of the name at that stage. It kind of shocked me as he was quite posh in real life but I think he summed me up fairly handy. He saw me coming with a big smile on my face and he was ready with an answer.

Jimmy O'Dea was magical to us kids. I remember he had a show on R.T.E., just after the Angelus, when he would tell a story by candle light. I've tried to find some clips from the show but failed miserably. Have this instead. Jimmy plays the King.

http://youtu.be/7a_yhkH5jjw

Once upon a time it was called, blow the candle out Jimmy, bong bong bong. Look out for Sean Connery in Darby OGill pre James bond days with the worst Irish accents I ever heard be gora be gora hey jimmy.

Airmount and the Infirmary.
    I was born in Airmount. Personally I can't remember the event - I was very young at the time. :p

The shot of David Kelly on the motorcycle in the nip has to be one of the funniest scenes I ever saw in a picture. An Irish film made in The Isle Of Man. I met David Kelly on the Quay once I think he was appearing in the Theatre Royal and I said well Rashers and he said to me would you ever fcuk off, not in an offensive manner though sure all I could do was laugh and so did he. I'd say he was sick of the name at that stage. It kind of shocked me as he was quite posh in real life but I think he summed me up fairly handy. He saw me coming with a big smile on my face and he was ready with an answer.
    Jaysus..........there wasn't a pick on the man! :eek:

Once upon a time it was called, blow the candle out Jimmy, bong bong bong. Look out for Sean Connery in Darby OGill pre James bond days with the worst Irish accents I ever heard be gora be gora hey jimmy.
    That's it Mc., Once Upon A Time - thank you. :)
    Please collect your prize below.............

Jaysus..........there wasn't a pick on the man! :eek:

Sexy beast.

Tom Ryan had a bicycle repair shop down in New Street where Rainbow Records are now, in the 60's. My Father often had his bike repaired there when it got to bad for him to fix. Well this is where we went for the wheels that were discarded to make hoops out of. This involved taking the spokes out of the wheel to make the best keep fit exercise equipment that was ever invented. Try belting a wheel of a bike with no spokes with a stick down Convent Hill and then stop before you reached St Mary's Terrace in a race. I didn't ever win but I was always knackered when I got to the finish line which was a shore in the middle of the road in front of Coughlan's. A hoop was a prize possession for our gang in the 60s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I remember it well and you'd be ****ting you'rself if the hoop got away from you and hit the footpath in front of Coughlans and bounced into the front of the house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

That sweet shop in Johns St with the annuals in the window. People used to put a deposit down and pay weekly.

• Advertisement

The "Hole in the Wall" at the back of the Tower Hotel. Best Crubeens in Waterford.......So I'm told. Autobiographically speaking, I hate 'em.

BUT, I believe, the hole in the wall THE best place for 'em! :D

Advertisement