Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

FishBowel wrote: »
    That sweet shop in Johns St with the annuals in the window. People used to put a deposit down and pay weekly.
    The "Hole in the Wall", behind the Tower Hotel and next to the Royal Bar.

Had the best crubeens in Waterford.

Not that I ever tasted 'em, mind you! :D

I hate the batsadrs! HaHa. But it was famous for 'em.

doctordon wrote: »

Oooooops! Site is slow tonight!:P

What Gob****e decided to take this out of service and replace it with a Double Decker Bus? Correct me if I am wrong....

1. A train will carry 10 times more people

2. A steam train uses about the same amount of fuel as a Diesel/ElectricTrain (carrying about 10 times more people)

3. The train took 10 - 15 minutes, as opposed to 20 - 35 minutes by bus (depending on traffic).

4. I remember having to Que for a bus - never for a train!

That really pisses me off! We had a great service there, but a Gob****e in Dublin decided: Oh Fcuk No! Service is too good..........."Close it"! Fcuk 'Em!

The first picture is the Railway Square .....As was. Madigans is at the back - on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Charley Upton's or the hole in the wall next to the Royal. Many a night after a few pints in the Royal Bar we would go in to Upton's and order two crubeen's each and enjoy digging in to them on the way home. Just imagine eating Pigs feat walking up the Quay today. They were delicious, I remember standing at the counter in the tiny shop you could see the pot of crubeen's boiling away in the kitchen. Charley had two beautiful daughters yuo'd be delighted if they were working when you went in.Two girls with long blonde hair, ah they were lovely. The Royal was a very popular bar in the mid seventies Many a great night was had there with some great friend's. Alfie Hale was the last owner but it is closed down now and looks very shabby what a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What Gob****e decided to take this out of service and replace it with a Double Decker Bus? Correct me if I am wrong....

1. A train will carry 10 times more people

2. A steam train uses about the same amount of fuel as a Diesel/ElectricTrain (carrying about 10 times more people)

3. The train took 10 - 15 minutes, as opposed to 20 - 35 minutes by bus (depending on traffic).

4. I remember having to Que for a bus - never for a train!

That really pisses me off! We had a great service there, but a Gob****e in Dublin decided: Oh Fcuk No! Service is too good..........."Close it"! Fcuk 'Em!

The first picture is the Railway Square .....As was. Madigans is at the back - on the right.

Completely agree, it would be a massive tourist attraction for Waterford now, imagine bringing children under 10 on a train that ends at the amusements!! Heaven. You only have to look at how popular the Suir Railway is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Charley Upton's or the hole in the wall next to the Royal. Many a night after a few pints in the Royal Bar we would go in to Upton's and order two crubeen's each and enjoy digging in to them on the way home. Just imagine eating Pigs feat walking up the Quay today. They were delicious, I remember standing at the counter in the tiny shop you could see the pot of crubeen's boiling away in the kitchen. Charley had two beautiful daughters yuo'd be delighted if they were working when you went in.Two girls with long blonde hair, ah they were lovely. The Royal was a very popular bar in the mid seventies Many a great night was had there with some great friend's. Alfie Hale was the last owner but it is closed down now and looks very shabby what a shame.

I lived down that way,when we were kid's about 4/5 year's old,we used to run into the shop and ask mrs upton "have you pig's feet"if she said yes,we would shout "well how do you walk" and run for ourlives.My first drink in a pub at 15 was in the Royal,a large bottle phoenix for 35 pence.The Garda station was were the lesiure center is now.

I lived down that way,when we were kid's about 4/5 year's old,we used to run into the shop and ask mrs upton "have you pig's feet"if she said yes,we would shout "well how do you walk" and run for ourlives.My first drink in a pub at 15 was in the Royal,a large bottle phoenix for 35 pence.The Garda station was were the lesiure center is now.

Muller Molloy went into a chipper on Ballybricken and asked the woman serving have you pigs feat and she said yes and Muller said well give 'es a bag of chips Porky. I tried your trick on Charley when I was full of beer one night and it backfired and the joke was on me when I asked Charley he said yes I sell pigs feat but I give kicks in the arse for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Or going into Ned Elliotts chip shop and asking him, have you any chip's left Ned he said yes and then he got the reply ,well that's what you get for putting too many on! and then make a run for it.:D

And Nicky Hannigan driving Ned's chip van it was the biggest chip van in the world it used to be parked in a shed at the top of Shortcourse.

marlin vs wrote: »
    And Nicky Hannigan driving Ned's chip van it was the biggest chip van in the world it used to be parked in a shed at the top of Shortcourse.
    I remember on a foggy winters night - waiting for the blare of the horn. Then this huge grey Goliath would roll into view. "How much are the 6d bags of chips, mister?". "Give us a few crispy bits - awww g'wan mister!". Halcyon days! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Completely forgot about this well done great memory. I don't know how they used to fit that van onto the shed, it must have been the biggest chip van ever in town. Remember the Carnival that used to be in the Barracks to raise funds for The Holy Family church. Father Farrell standing outside the gate taking the entrance fee. For a priest he was one tough man. We used to use the entrance gate to the Presbytery for the goal posts when we had a game of football on Convent Hill until one of the priests would hunt us or if the Guards came along. Well if Father Farrell came the sight of him was enough to make us scatter. He was'nt the worst though there was a Father Arthur who would call the guard's if he saw us playing ball at the entrance he was forever giving out to us even if we were only siting near the gate. I suppose he taught we were only rif raf.

Where is Brown Netties? Never heard of it. :confused:

Just a little information on the Brown Netties.

It was properly called the "Ladie's Asylum" with the entrance from Convent Hill, founded by Mr's Mary Power, by her will dated 1804, she was the wife of a corn merchant that predeceased her, leaving her all his property and having no family she left it in charity, the amount was in the region of £8,700. The object of the Charity was the relief of twelve reduced gentlewomen of the city, and the support and education of poor boy's and girl's.

Just a little information on the Brown Netties.

It was properly called the "Ladie's Asylum" with the entrance from Convent Hill, founded by Mr's Mary Power, by her will dated 1804, she was the wife of a corn merchant that predeceased her, leaving her all his property and having no family she left it in charity, the amount was in the region of £8,700. The object of the Charity was the relief of twelve reduced gentlewomen of the city, and the support and education of poor boy's and girl's.

In all the years I hung around there I never knew the history of the place. I remember people looked down on the Ladies that resided there. Some of those women were real Ladies remember the women we christened Madame she always had sweets for any of us who were around here when she was about. I'm sure she didn't have very much but she had a very kind heart. It must have been a very lonely existence yet she always had a smile for us all.

True, all you had to do was address her as Madame and she would give you a sweet, smiling at you with her glossy red lipstick.I cant remember the woman that lived in the last house nearest to Mount Sion but we used to look in her window to see her bed that was supposed to be made of straw,and I remember the fire brigade bringing out her body on a metal stretcher, she was dead for some days before she was found.I think Mrs Devine was called when she was found as she was the woman that everyone went to if you had a cut or some other ailment as well as water from her holy well at the back of her house that would cure sore throat's.

In all the years I hung around there I never knew the history of the place. I remember people looked down on the Ladies that resided there. Some of those women were real Ladies remember the women we christened Madame she always had sweets for any of us who were around here when she was about. I'm sure she didn't have very much but she had a very kind heart. It must have been a very lonely existence yet she always had a smile for us all.
    Maybe the company of you kids made her existence less lonely ;)

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Ireland/South/Waterford/Waterford/photo1352979.htm

Hope you enjoy this Photograph Doc. Do you see the house where you got cleaned up after your big fall

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Ireland/South/Waterford/Waterford/photo1352979.htm

Hope you enjoy this Photograph Doc. Do you see the house where you got cleaned up after your big fall
    Thanks Mc. That sends shivers up my spine. I have absolutely no idea of the house in which the kind lady lived. It was, after all about 45 years ago. All I can remember is waking up in the front room (no hallway, as far as I can recall) with this lady applying a wet face cloth to my forehead and whispering "Shhhhhhh, you're alright now".
    There should be a dent in the footpath, where I nutted it!
    See the way the van is parked - at an angle - with one of the front wheels against the path. Stop the car, apply handbrake, ensure car is in 1st. gear and that front wheel is against the kerb, to prevent accidental rolling forward. That's how steep that hill is.:eek:
    Great photo, with The Infirmary in the background. I never noticed that the John's Hill area had so many trees - amazing!:confused:

You got me searching. the 1st. pic is obviously part if the old Infirmary Hospital (the small building, as far as I can remember, was the entrance to the Out-Patients Dept., which also housed the morgue).

The 2nd. pic is of Johns Hill, taken from the Infirmary. The 3rd. house on the right, with the steps leading to the (white arched doorway) was Ms. Durkans house (the woman who beat me senseless at 3 or 4 years of age - Bless her tiny toes). What a bitch!:mad:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mountsiongaaie/5388589096/

Do you recognise anybody here Doc is this Bro Gleeson the one you remember

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mountsiongaaie/5388589096/

Do you recognise anybody here Doc is this Bro Gleeson the one you remember
    Yes!! The guy in the middle.

I can still see him saying the Angelus at 12.00pm. "In ainm an Athar, agus an Mhic, agus an Spioraid Naoimh, Amen", and wringing his hands throughout the prayer. As I said - a very pious man.

Thanks for that Mc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88051129@N00/5047340081/in/photostream/lightbox/

Did you ever buy anything from this shop. When my Mother payed for her purchase that was the best part. I was told the money was sent to heaven if I asked when I was small.

• Advertisement

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88051129@N00/5047340081/in/photostream/lightbox/

Did you ever buy anything from this shop. When my Mother payed for her purchase that was the best part. I was told the money was sent to heaven if I asked when I was small.
    Jaysus Mc., keep up , will ya? HaHa! :)

Weeks ago:

Am I the only one who remembers Hearns on the Quay? It is now the dining room of the Granville Hotel and Georges Court. I remember as a kid, watching the magical "Invoice Transport System" overhead, and being absatively gob-smacked. Each counter was connected, by steel wire, to a central "pulpit", in which a lady sat. When you bought something in Hearns, the clerk would write an invoice for the purchase and put it into a cup, along with your money (£sd). The cup was then attached to the steel cable and sent flying to the pulpit, where the lady would check it, write a receipt and count out your change. This was then sent back to the counter via the steel wire. I remember sitting on the floor of Hearns, eyes to heaven, watching this magic. As far as I know, the system is still used in the Bad Ass Cafe, in Temple Bar in Dublin, where the waitress sends your order, from your table directly to the kitchen.biggrin.gif

Here ya go:

http://www.ids.u-net.com/cash/photos/badass.htm

C'mon folks, give us a "kick-Start"!:D

http://irishchildhoodmemories.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Weeks ago:

Am I the only one who remembers Hearns on the Quay?
    Well I think I've got a Christmas Santa sticker (or a few of them) from Hearns on the Quay but I do remember the place. Naturally I would have been very young at the time.

Regards...jmcc

Weeks ago:

Am I the only one who remembers Hearns on the Quay? It is now the dining room of the Granville Hotel and Georges Court. I remember as a kid, watching the magical "Invoice Transport System" overhead, and being absatively gob-smacked. Each counter was connected, by steel wire, to a central "pulpit", in which a lady sat. When you bought something in Hearns, the clerk would write an invoice for the purchase and put it into a cup, along with your money (£sd). The cup was then attached to the steel cable and sent flying to the pulpit, where the lady would check it, write a receipt and count out your change. This was then sent back to the counter via the steel wire. I remember sitting on the floor of Hearns, eyes to heaven, watching this magic. As far as I know, the system is still used in the Bad Ass Cafe, in Temple Bar in Dublin, where the waitress sends your order, from your table directly to the kitchen.biggrin.gif

Here ya go:

http://www.ids.u-net.com/cash/photos/badass.htm

Cash's of Cork had the very same system almost identical as Hearne's well up to the late seventies sadly this shop is long gone.When you think about it wasn't it a very secure system before the age of the computer and it was much better fun to watch as kids. My mother always swore by Hearne's if you had to buy a large item such as a bed and hadn't the full amount you could pay off by the week within a set time and there would be no interest. A lot of people sleep'd soundly in beds because of Hearne's on the Quay.That address always confused me when I was young because we always entered by George's St. I remember Tony Roche of Tony's Menswear working there so I suppose you could say he has worked in the same premise's all his life as his shop is in George's Court. Your site is brilliant your very good at this sort of thing. We also had The Ballymagash Council.

Cash's of Cork had the very same system almost identical as Hearne's well up to the late seventies sadly this shop is long gone.When you think about it wasn't it a very secure system before the age of the computer and it was much better fun to watch as kids. My mother always swore by Hearne's if you had to buy a large item such as a bed and hadn't the full amount you could pay off by the week within a set time and there would be no interest. A lot of people sleep'd soundly in beds because of Hearne's on the Quay.That address always confused me when I was young because we always entered by George's St. I remember Tony Roche of Tony's Menswear working there so I suppose you could say he has worked in the same premise's all his life as his shop is in George's Court. Your site is brilliant your very good at this sort of thing. We also had The Ballymagash Council.
    That's right Mc., on Halls Pictorial Weekly, with Frank Kelly, who went on to become Father Jack - FECK!:D

Ballymcgash, unfortunately, is not featured, but if you have an hour to spare.....................

http://youtu.be/GBXtWetS1Jk

That's right Mc., on Halls Pictorial Weekly, with Frank Kelly, who went on to become Father Jack - FECK!:D

Ballymcgash, unfortunately, is not featured, but if you have an hour to spare.....................

http://youtu.be/GBXtWetS1Jk

Two shows similar for their vicious wit and Frank Kelly was in both. I remember we were down in Cork for a weekend in the early 70's to see Rory Gallagher in the City Hall. We always paid a visit to a Cork institution" at the time The Swan And Signet on Patrick St. for a pint. Do you remember Cha and Mia two Cork characters who were regulars on the show well the two boys were having a right cut at Cork and the whole pub were in the knots.That was the magic of this show made little of everybody but never insulted anybody. Frank Hall often had a go at The Munster Express owner smoky Joe Walsh it always raised a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Not sure if this has been posted already but here you go:

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted already but here you go:

Excellent! Thank you very much!

Not sure if the fountain is still in the peoples park, but I've got a little information on it. It is unique, in that there are only 2 of that particular design in Ireland - the 2nd. one is in the R.D.S. in Ballsbridge (testicles viaduct), in Dublin.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Not sure if the fountain is still in the peoples park, but I've got a little information on it. It is unique, in that there are only 2 of that particular design in Ireland - the 2nd. one is in the R.D.S. in Ballsbridge (testicles viaduct), in Dublin.:)

AFAIK the fountain is long gone from the people's park.

Don't ask me what happened to it.

• Advertisement

No sadly it was destroyed by mindless vandals a good few years ago. It has been replaced by a modern designed fountain which is quite nice but the original is a big loss when you see it in all its beauty. This type of vandalism has always baffled me I just don't understand the satisfaction somebody gets out of destroying public property.

Advertisement