Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

Just thought of another question. Take a look at the pic. On the top right of the building, there is what looks like a Pill Box. What is it?

As its above the door i would say its a murder hole. Used for dropping unpleasentness on the enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

doctordon wrote: »
    just had a thought - there used to be a very creepy graveyard beside Southend football pitch. :eek: You had to go across a field to get to it. Is that it?
    No, think about this it is easier than you know they named a housing estate nearby after it, Doc you passed it so many times on a famous road for a walk many years ago it's not to far from Mattie's Hill. Younger people should know from the name. Think WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Sh*t I'm scared now. You have been warned. God help those who live nearby.

Oooops! Yes. Ajolopies. :D

Doc Ballybeg is so near this place it is still there, nobody would move it even the brave Celtic Tiger Builders were scared sh*tless of it. Think now Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

jad2007 wrote: »
    As its above the door i would say its a murder hole. Used for dropping unpleasentness on the enemy.
    It's many years since I was in Ballyhack, and as far as I can remember, that particular door was a later addition. The main entrance is at the far side (back) of the building as we look at it. So what we are looking at is the back of the original building. "Murder Hole" is close - but it had an everyday use.

Defensive reason for building on rock? :rolleyes:

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    No, think about this it is easier than you know they named a housing estate nearby after it, Doc you passed it so many times on a famous road for a walk many years ago it's not to far from Mattie's Hill. Younger people should know from the name. Think WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    The only housing estate in that area, that I can think of, with a name associated with the Knights Templar is Priory Lawn. I don't ever remember a graveyard there though. Please put me out of my misery! :confused:

• Advertisement

"Famous road for a walk" sounds like Paddy Brownes Road? Graveyard????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The second reason is defensive - what is it?
    Makes it harder to undermine the walls. Attackers used to dig beneath the walls, and start fires under the walls to weaken the stone and then the walls would structurally fail and collapse. A solid base would make tunnelling far more difficult.

Regards...jmcc

Many years ago, I hung around with a guy from Árd Na Greine. He told me a story of when he was kid in the late 60's or early 70's.

Apparently, at about 2.00am. one morning, the whole neighborhood was woken by a God awful wailing/howling of what was, apparently a woman. This could also be heard in Tycor Avenue and Keanes Road and went on for hours. The gardai were called and the area was searched for hours - Walsh Park, The Jute Factory, back Gardens etc., but to no avail - nothing was ever found. The older people of the neighborhood insisted that it was the Banshee. :eek:

My mate was no bullsihter and was very serious about the story.

Are there any people here who may have witnessed this and if so, may we have some details please?

jmcc wrote: »
    Makes it harder to undermine the walls. Attackers used to dig beneath the walls, and start fires under the walls to weaken the stone and then the walls would structurally fail and collapse. A solid base would make tunnelling far more difficult.

Regards...jmcc
    Excellent. Also, when they poured boiling oil or water, from the battlements, it splashed off the rocks, spraying the enemy. Top of the class and collect your duis! :D

And the structure above the door? Hint: The Blarney Stone in Cork, also had the same everyday use! :eek:

The only housing estate in that area, that I can think of, with a name associated with the Knights Templar is Priory Lawn. I don't ever remember a graveyard there though. Please put me out of my misery! :confused:

Doc do you remember when The Yellow House was a shop on the edge of town if you had a few pennies to spend before you head out the country. Come out of the shop with your Flashbar and Blackjack and turn left out the Green Road, at the corner of The Green Rd and The Lacken Rd jump in over the ditch and walk over to the opposite corner of the field to an old deserted graveyard do you remember now. If you head into Ballybeg now go as far as the new roundabout turn left and just before Lackenwood turn left into a mini industrial estate and there all on its own is The Knights Of Templer Graveyard. Nobody would disturb it for fear of being cursed. The housing estate Templar's Hall was named after this graveyard. After recent events some people say this place is cursed. Its been a long time maybe these estates are foreign to you but think back sure wasn't The Green Rd a famous walk also, all the way out to the Six Cross Roads to collect Frogspawn or if you were in the mood for a longer walk keep going all the way to Sugerloaf and climb up on that to admire the view. If you feel brave spend a night in the old graveyard not far from Ballybeg without a flashlamp but remember you have been warned. On a serious note this Graveyard has a preservation order on it so I guess its pretty unique but its still Fcuking scary.

• Advertisement

Excellent. Also, when they poured boiling oil or water, from the battlements, it splashed off the rocks, spraying the enemy. Top of the class and collect your duis! :D

And the structure above the door? Hint: The Blarney Stone in Cork, also had the same everyday use! :eek:

Well I kissed The Blarney Stone and I have been to the lovely village of Ballyhack and I kissed a few Wexford lassies there but I forgot to ask any of these fair maids whats that thing over the door was for as we strolled by the Castle as I had other things on my mind at the time. So I decided to cheat and Goggled but to no avail so hands up you have me. Will I go stand in the corner for half an hour for my penance.

Doc do you remember when The Yellow House was a shop on the edge of town if you had a few pennies to spend before you head out the country. Come out of the shop with your Flashbar and Blackjack and turn left out the Green Road, at the corner of The Green Rd and The Lacken Rd jump in over the ditch and walk over to the opposite corner of the field to an old deserted graveyard do you remember now. If you head into Ballybeg now go as far as the new roundabout turn left and just before Lackenwood turn left into a mini industrial estate and there all on its own is The Knights Of Templer Graveyard. Nobody would disturb it for fear of being cursed. The housing estate Templar's Hall was named after this graveyard. After recent events some people say this place is cursed. Its been a long time maybe these estates are foreign to you but think back sure wasn't The Green Rd a famous walk also, all the way out to the Six Cross Roads to collect Frogspawn or if you were in the mood for a longer walk keep going all the way to Sugerloaf and climb up on that to admire the view. If you feel brave spend a night in the old graveyard not far from Ballybeg without a flashlamp but remember you have been warned. On a serious note this Graveyard has a preservation order on it so I guess its pretty unique but its still Fcuking scary.
    Yes Mac! 'Course I remember Da Yella' House. My Dad used to take in there for an ice cream after a Summer Sunday, picking black berries, which my mother would make jam from.

Leave da yella' house, turn left and walk past O'Briens Skips, over the small bridge on the stream (which the Glass factory polluted), past the old dump and take the next turn left. You are now walking towards the main Tramore Road and Widgers Farm (you came out, just past the Black Rock).

Just after you turn left, about 200 yards, just before Southend football pitch, there was a field. Climb over the gate and walk to the back of the field. There is the creepy grave yard I mentioned.

Well I kissed The Blarney Stone and I have been to the lovely village of Ballyhack and I kissed a few Wexford lassies there but I forgot to ask any of these fair maids whats that thing over the door was for as we strolled by the Castle as I had other things on my mind at the time. So I decided to cheat and Goggled but to no avail so hands up you have me. Will I go stand in the corner for half an hour for my penance.
    You've already had your penance Mac., you kissed the Blarney Stone - penance enough.

Both the Blarney Stone and the structure over the door of Ballyhack Castle are toilets!! :eek:

Tourists have been paying to kiss a toilet for 100's of years! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

It might look that way but there seems to have been some rebuilding and remodelling done on the castle. If you look at the lower levels, there's a lot of weathering and most importantly defensive arrow slits. The architecture is plain, functional and defensive. Higher up, there are windows that look to be more recent (last four hundred years) in style as if the castle had a residential upgrade.

The position of that front door also looks a bit strange unless there was a high shielding wall in front of it originally. The upper half of the castle is at odds with the purely defensive nature of the lower half. Perhaps someone with a more detailed knowledge of the castle and its history could explain.

Regards...jmcc

You've already had your penance Mac., you kissed the Blarney Stone - penance enough.

Both the Blarney Stone and the structure over the door of Ballyhack Castle are toilets!! :eek:

Tourists have been paying to kiss a toilet for 100's of years! :rolleyes:

Well well you live and learn I taught the boys holding me while I kissed The Blarney Stone were smiling at me now I know they were laughing at me. There is a walled in Graveyard out near Ballymacaw in the middle of a field dating from the seventeen hundred's with both Catholic and Protestant buried there and the most unusual thing about it there is nobody over nineteen years of age buried in it. I was brought there over twenty years ago to have a look while some local men were cleaning it up. I'm sorry now I did not look into the history of it further because nobody there that day were very sure of its past. Was it the black death or fever I'm not sure but even after all those years it made for sad reading. To tell you the truth I would struggle to remember exactly where this site is now. I know Jimmy Caulfield from Carbally was one of the men clearing the place so if I ever meet him down the Saleens I will refresh my memory.

Well well you live and learn I taught the boys holding me while I kissed The Blarney Stone were smiling at me now I know they were laughing at me. There is a walled in Graveyard out near Ballymacaw in the middle of a field dating from the seventeen hundred's with both Catholic and Protestant buried there and the most unusual thing about it there is nobody over nineteen years of age buried in it. I was brought there over twenty years ago to have a look while some local men were cleaning it up. I'm sorry now I did not look into the history of it further because nobody there that day were very sure of its past. Was it the black death or fever I'm not sure but even after all those years it made for sad reading. To tell you the truth I would struggle to remember exactly where this site is now. I know Jimmy Caulfield from Carbally was one of the men clearing the place so if I ever meet him down the Saleens I will refresh my memory.
    In the grave yard at the church in Ferrybank, there is a tiny wall (about 2 - 3" high) running through it. Why is it there - what is its purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

is it the borough boundry?

In the grave yard at the church in Ferrybank, there is a tiny wall (about 2 - 3" high) running through it. Why is it there - what is its purpose?

I've only been in this grave yard once and this is the first time I have heard of such a wall, is it anything to do with different Religions being buried there. Only a guess other than that I really don't know.

leduke wrote: »
    is it the borough boundry?
    Nope

I've only been in this grave yard once and this is the first time I have heard of such a wall, is it anything to do with different Religions being buried there. Only a guess other than that I really don't know.
    Dead on Mac! Apparently it divides Catholic and Protestant deceased. Personally, I haven't seen it - I was only told about it.

Duis!

• Advertisement

Dead on Mac! Apparently it divides Catholic and Protestant deceased. Personally, I haven't seen it - I was only told about it.

Duis!

I only guessed this but from experience of some of the weird carry on with Religion in this country this doesn't surprise me.I was always fascinated by Christ Church Cathedral as a lad sure any time we were around town the two most visited places were Reginald's Tower and Christ Church. I was no scholar but upon entering these places you could almost smell the past. The tombs in Christ Church used to fascinate us. The strange thing is I remember getting a warning about visiting Christ Church in my Mount Sion schooldays that it was a sin to enter a protestant church and if you prayed in such a place you had to go to confession as this was a very serious sin. Well I was very young then but that was when I began to have serious doubts about religion and how divisive it can be. I remember asking my mother was it any harm and being the very religious woman she was she said not at all boy, when you get older she said you will make up your own mind. Well I think I was about fourteen when I refused to go to confession saying I didn't believe in it she nearly had a stroke and ordered me over to Ballybricken.When I was in the box and the priest asked me my sins I got a rush of blood and told him I was told to come here and I didn't believe in confession, I can still remember him laughing out loud and saying to me it was the first bit of truth he heard all day. When I came out of confession all the old women waiting outside looked at me in shock as I made a quick exit. I needn't tell you I knew the Priest to be fairly liberal I wouldn't have chanced this with most of the other Priests that were there at the time.

I only guessed this but from experience of some of the weird carry on with Religion in this country this doesn't surprise me.I was always fascinated by Christ Church Cathedral as a lad sure any time we were around town the two most visited places were Reginald's Tower and Christ Church. I was no scholar but upon entering these places you could almost smell the past. The tombs in Christ Church used to fascinate us. The strange thing is I remember getting a warning about visiting Christ Church in my Mount Sion schooldays that it was a sin to enter a protestant church and if you prayed in such a place you had to go to confession as this was a very serious sin. Well I was very young then but that was when I began to have serious doubts about religion and how divisive it can be. I remember asking my mother was it any harm and being the very religious woman she was she said not at all boy, when you get older she said you will make up your own mind. Well I think I was about fourteen when I refused to go to confession saying I didn't believe in it she nearly had a stroke and ordered me over to Ballybricken.When I was in the box and the priest asked me my sins I got a rush of blood and told him I was told to come here and I didn't believe in confession, I can still remember him laughing out loud and saying to me it was the first bit of truth he heard all day. When I came out of confession all the old women waiting outside looked at me in shock as I made a quick exit. I needn't tell you I knew the Priest to be fairly liberal I wouldn't have chanced this with most of the other Priests that were there at the time.
    Yup! You're right Mac. Religion is the scourge of man.

I am currently watching The Tudors series

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758790/

which has to do with the Reformation in England in the 1500's. Religion is a business - nothing more. :mad:

Yup! You're right Mac. Religion is the scourge of man.

I am currently watching The Tudors series

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758790/

which has to do with the Reformation in England in the 1500's. Religion is a business - nothing more. :mad:
    The Ormonde Castle here in Carrick On Suir was used for a good few scenes in this show. It created a bit of a buzz around the town while fliming was taking place. It was gas seeing some of the stars on a break walking down to the local Hotel in full costume.

The Ormonde Castle here in Carrick On Suir was used for a good few scenes in this show. It created a bit of a buzz around the town while fliming was taking place. It was gas seeing some of the stars on a break walking down to the local Hotel in full costume.
    Excellent Series :)

Excellent Series :)

What else would you expect from the BBC. Its a great series. Jonathan Rhys Meyers is from Cork, he's great when he gets evil as Henry did. Do you remember when Barry Lyndon was filmed around Waterford. We saw Ryan O'Neil up in the Ardree a few Saturday nights in his white suit. Jasus we hadn't a hope with the women when they say him, I had to say to a few of them they should have brought their knitting after you know the usual. Then again I still had to use this answer even when Ryan flew off on his magic carpet, I suspect it could have been the bottles of courage made by Phoenix that were to blame but they were lovely.

What else would you expect from the BBC. Its a great series. Jonathan Rhys Meyers is from Cork, he's great when he gets evil as Henry did. Do you remember when Barry Lyndon was filmed around Waterford. We saw Ryan O'Neil up in the Ardree a few Saturday nights in his white suit. Jasus we hadn't a hope with the women when they say him, I had to say to a few of them they should have brought their knitting after you know the usual. Then again I still had to use this answer even when Ryan flew off on his magic carpet, I suspect it could have been the bottles of courage made by Phoenix that were to blame but they were lovely.
    Remember Time Beer?

There was a competition one time to find a slogan for Time. Although it didn't win (for obvious reasons) it was agreed that the the following was by far the best!:

"P*ssing is a waste of Time!"

And what about Trophy Bitter - The pint that thinks it's a quart? :eek:

http://youtu.be/6n1hQdCdCP8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4hmFPBf-C8

Don't mind Sally O'Brien remember the way your Mother would look at you after fourteen pints of this stuff. You wouldn't feel as bad after a slap of a lump hammer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4hmFPBf-C8

Don't mind Sally O'Brien remember the way your Mother would look at you after fourteen pints of this stuff. You wouldn't feel as bad after a slap of a lump hammer.
    With a wee drop of lime perhaps! HaHa! There have been a few times when I had to be scraped off the footpath. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGGGtqGBMNI

Did you ever chance your arm at this stuff. I'll tell ya boy the king of all hang overs.
    I have to say Mac., when it comes to beer - I am a devout coward - I only drink what I know. ;)

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKk8W22MPy8

Well holy God look what Iv'e just found.

Aililiù airse Dàithì.
    JAYSUS!!! :eek:

Where the FCUK did I put the bottle of Hennessy and the straw? It's either that or Valium sandwiches. :(

I'm gonna have nightmares tonight! HaHaHa!

Advertisement