Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

I'm about to give this thread a clean up but maybe I am missing something. What have the latest videos got to do with Waterford?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Some of these are early clips from RTE television which brings us back to our sitting rooms long ago in Waterford, all part of a time and place long gone. Just memories of growing up in Waterford.

Mod Note

That's stretching it a bit now! The point of this thread was Waterford specifically. Things actually in Waterford physically and not indirectly through another medium :p Its not After Hours, which is the way its heading. The last video especially, which needs NSFW tags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Leahys doughnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Sully wrote: »
    Mod Note

That's stretching it a bit now! The point of this thread was Waterford specifically. Things actually in Waterford physically and not indirectly through another medium :p Its not After Hours, which is the way its heading. The last video especially, which needs NSFW tags!

I'm very sorry if I have caused offence I assure you it is the furthest thing on my mind. When I was growing up in Waterford in the 60's Television was one of the big memories from that er as it was all new. For lot of us who did not have a television when RTE started broadcasting if you were lucky somebody who did have a TV would invite you in if not we used to have a look in through somebody's window if they left the curtains open. If all this failed we would ramble down town to one of the new TV rental shops who would leave the sets on for all the poor people to have a view. This was commonly known as picture with no sound if you told somebody where you were they would ask which shop were you at. You wouldn't believe the crowds that used to be outside these shops in the early 60s. Dàithi Lacha was one of the first Irish language cartoons on RTE. At school a common question for us was well lads were you all watching Dàithi Lacha last night, yes sir we would answer to which Brother would say go maith go maith. I see on second viewing poor old brother would turn in his grave if he saw what utube has done to Dàithi.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

Mod Note

I'm about to give this thread a clean up but maybe I am missing something. What have the latest videos got to do with Waterford?
    I have to agree with Mac., Sully. When I was in school, especially on Monday mornings, the topic of conversation was "Did ya see........."? "Remember when he got shot 'n' he fell offa his horse"?

We got our first T.V. in 1963 and while "the man" was adjusting the aerial, we sat and watched the "snow" on the screen. Finally, The Cisco Kid appeared and we were mesmerized! Kids from all over our neighborhood rushed to our house. That is a day I will never forget.

It wasn't Mac. who started posting videos or pics, but me. Mea Culpa.

I apologise and hold my hands up Sheriff - I'll come quietly!

In my defense however, I feel I should draw your attention to the following:

Please note: If anybody here wishes me to stop posting music - if I am annoying anybody - please feel free to tell me. I will be very happy to do so. Apologies in advance.

I posted that on July 12th. and received no adverse comments.

I was of the opinion that this (excellent) thread was designed to jog peoples memories and take them back to childhood. Surely, visual aids should be allowed - in order to achieve this.

A case in point - who here knows who the Cisco Kid was?

I think it is time for me to quit posting if the rules do not allow pics or videos.

I apologise and thank you all for your hospitality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Does anyone remember Gold Crust bakery down by the park,their bread was delicious but their cream bun's were to die for.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

The shop down in Grange Park.

We got our first T.V. in 1963 and while "the man" was adjusting the aerial, we sat and watched the "snow" on the screen. Finally, The Cisco Kid appeared and we were mesmerized! Kids from all over our neighborhood rushed to our house. That is a day I will never forget.

We must have all got our Television's in 1963. I came home from my first day back at school after my summer holidays and there in our sitting room was a Pye Television Set. Brown casing with a cream framing on the front. Yep Doc I remember The Cisco Kid, I think the first show I saw on our own Tele was Rin Tin Tin but one evening will always stick in my mind as we all sat around our sitting room was when Charles Mitchel announced on a news flash that JFK has been shot and later announced that he had died. Yep we saw history unfold from around the globe on that box back in the sixties.

Does anyone remember Gold Crust bakery down by the park,their bread was delicious but their cream bun's were to die for.

Yes Gold Crust the biggest Bakery in Waterford in its time. Cream Buns now you have made my mouth water,talk about melt in the mouth they were gorgeous and their bread I always enjoyed it even though my Mother rarely bought it, hilariously saying it stayed fresh to long.

OOOPS. Made a hash of the quotes on last post. Help how do you quote one line from a post as you can see I'm just a learner.

We must have all got our Television's in 1963. I came home from my first day back at school after my summer holidays and there in our sitting room was a Pye Television Set. Brown casing with a cream framing on the front. Yep Doc I remember The Cisco Kid, I think the first show I saw on our own Tele was Rin Tin Tin but one evening will always stick in my mind as we all sat around our sitting room was when Charles Mitchel announced on a news flash that JFK has been shot and later announced that he had died. Yep we saw history unfold from around the globe on that box back in the sixties.

Does anyone remember Gold Crust bakery down by the park,their bread was delicious but their cream bun's were to die for.

Yes Gold Crust the biggest Bakery in Waterford in its time. Cream Buns now you have made my mouth water,talk about melt in the mouth they were gorgeous and their bread I always enjoyed it even though my Mother rarely bought it, hilariously saying it stayed fresh to long.
    Yes Mac. I remember the assassination as clear as day. I remember my mother, working in the kitchen - baking I think.

I am maybe 5 years old. She came into the room and said to me "Denis, President Kennedy is dead". I have no idea why that incident, at 5 years of age, would stick in my mind, but it did. Apparently, you can ask anybody, "Where were you when JFK was shot"? Everybody of our era will tell you exactly where they were. In my opinion, that is a fitting tribute to the man!

• Advertisement

Mod Note

I need to ask.......are pics and videos allowed on this site? They may not be directly connected to Waterford, but indirectly. They may jog peoples memories and get them thinking about their home town. They may spur them to think about their childhood - as I did when I found this thread!

Please let me know what the rules are.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/5730990316/lightbox/

Look at the present the British Army gave my ancestors. In the back bedroom and in the attic you can still see the poor workmanship of the repair work carried out after the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

OOOPS. Made a hash of the quotes on last post. Help how do you quote one line from a post as you can see I'm just a learner.

You just delete everything between the (quote)and (/quote) that you dont want to use.

( =[
    )=]

You just delete everything between the (quote)and (/quote) that you dont want to use.

( =[
    )=]

Thank you very much when I ask my young daughter I get eat. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/5730990316/lightbox/

Look at the present the British Army gave my ancestors. In the back bedroom and in the attic you can still see the poor workmanship of the repair work carried out after the crash.
    Pity Maura wasn't around then, she could have done his hair.:D

marlin vs wrote: »
    Pity Maura wasn't around then, she could have done his hair.:D

Short back and sides please and could you stitch my forehead while your at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Ah yes...many's the 11 o clock break I spent out there playing football with a tennis ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Harvey's

Rsz_1rsz_happy_i_see_what_you_did_there__clean__l.jpg

Thanks for that Mac.

The Principals (The Duke) office - right hand side of the first (blue) door.

"Old" Bro. Murphy's classroom (No. 9) - left hand side of the first door.

Fintan O'Brien's classroom (No. 6) - left hand side of the second door.

The "small prison", where Da*ker O'Neill and his gang used to lock us up during break - underneath the Duke's office. There was a second larger "prison" in the far left hand corner of the pic (out of shot).

I remember watching the Carnegie high school marching band in that playground - OMG! Those girls, particularly the Majorettes!!

• Advertisement

doctordon wrote: »
    Thanks for that Mac.

The Principals (The Duke) office - right hand side of the first (blue) door.

"Old" Bro. Murphy's classroom (No. 9) - left hand side of the first door.

Fintan O'Brien's classroom (No. 6) - left hand side of the second door.

The "small prison", where Da*ker O'Neill and his gang used to lock us up during break - underneath the Duke's office. There was a second larger "prison" in the far left hand corner of the pic (out of shot).

I remember watching the Carnegie high school marching band in that playground - OMG! Those girls, particularly the Majorettes!!

Wow what a memory Doc well done yes I remember Danker well you will be glad to know he is a big fat heap now.
    Those Majorette's although young as I was I taught they had the best legs on girls I ever saw. I remember a few of us pestering a fabulous Blonde I taught she was Venus. I'm sure she taught we were a bunch of little smart asses.

Wow what a memory Doc well done yes I remember Danker well you will be glad to know he is a big fat heap now.
    Those Majorette's although young as I was I taught they had the best legs on girls I ever saw. I remember a few of us pestering a fabulous Blonde I taught she was Venus. I'm sure she taught we were a bunch of little smart asses.
    D'ya remember his winklepicker shoes. We were all scared sihtless of the bully!

Even though he is now a fat heap of wasted humanity, I feel sure that he is still making a living by bullying.

I would imagine that he is a modern day Fagin. That is the impression he left on me in school. PCRIK! :mad:

When I saw those girls - doing their thing - I honestly believed I had died and entered the gates of heaven!

I didn't have the guts to "chat one up" - FCUK, they were beautiful and AMERICAN!

I had to wait for my chance - years later - when I got the chance to chat up N*cky in Newton School!

As King Henry VIII said (in The Tudors) "the greatest loss to a man - is time, It can never be redeemed!".

Here's a question two streets two names first there is Blackfriars then you have Greyfriars what do the different colours represent. Very old street names but still relevant today. Well Danker I wouldn't loose any sleep over him he had plenty doppelgangers and more than likely still has.
    I was down in Waterford on Friday evening and I saw something that reminded me of my youth. It was a beautiful day and driving out the Manor there were buses packed to the roof coming in from Tramore. It was gas looking at all the children and there worn out parents dragging all their towels and togs and buckets and shovels all heading home after their day in Tramore. Some things never change.

Here's a question two streets two names first there is Blackfriars then you have Greyfriars what do the different colours represent. Very old street names but still relevant today. Well Danker I wouldn't loose any sleep over him he had plenty doppelgangers and more than likely still has.
    I was down in Waterford on Friday evening and I saw something that reminded me of my youth. It was a beautiful day and driving out the Manor there were buses packed to the roof coming in from Tramore. It was gas looking at all the children and there worn out parents dragging all their towels and togs and buckets and shovels all heading home after their day in Tramore. Some things never change.
    The Black Friars were of the Dominican order, the first order of Monks to reach Waterford. However, it took nine years for them to find a home. They eventually settled in Blackfriars.

The Greyfriars were Franciscans.

Both orders got their name because of the color of their habits.........ask me another :D.

Doesn't it psis you off? All these buses which do the same job of just ONE train at maybe three times the price and twice the time. There are certainly geniuses running our Country!! :eek:

Bring back the Waterford - Tramore Railway!!

Spot the difference!

doctordon wrote: »
    The Black Friars were of the Dominican order, the first order of Monks to reach Waterford. However, it took nine years for them to find a home. They eventually settled in Blackfriars.

The Greyfriars were Franciscans.

Both orders got their name because of the color of their habits.........ask me another :D.

Doesn't it psis you off? All these buses which do the same job of just ONE train at maybe three times the price and twice the time. There are certainly geniuses running our Country!! :eek:

Ah sure I should have known better of course your bang on.

The British built all the rail lines in Ireland and it well known their love of trains in general. I always used to say if we were still under British rule we would still have the Tramore Train. Well that's not so I have a friend in Wales who lament's the closing down of similar rail lines in his county from the same time. Some of them that survived were taken over by rail lovers who struggle to keep them open. You would have to wonder would people use this service today when they can jump into a car outside their door. I was talking to an old man in Tramore a while back and he brought a wry smile to my face when he said to me you know the greatest sin ever committed in this county was when they closed the Tramore train and within three months all the rail tracks were removed and sold off for half nothing. What was their fear what was the rush. I agreed with him while thinking that my parents always expressed the same view. Not their worry now as both of them are in Tramore forever.

Did you ever pick Blackberries on the old Tramore line come to think of it around this time of year. I remember gangs of lads heading out the country with their cans to spend most of the day picking those berries. Coming home with purple hands and mouths you'd eat the leg of a table for tea. It was well worth it when you would see the tarts your Mother made from them mixed with apple the next day. Made in the morning and lucky to last till evening.

The prize cans were the ones that the hard boiled sweets came in. The first assignment was to get your hands on one of these prize possession's. Every shop in the nieghbourhood would be tapped, if you were clever enough you would have your order in early. Can I have an Icky Picky and a blackjack and will ye keep me one of those tins when their empty misses. You'd be raging if you went in with your next penny and there was a new can on the shelf to be told I'll keep the next one for you. I'll never buy my sweets in there again you would say to yourself as you walk out dejected until you get your next penny and all would be forgotten.

The British built all the rail lines in Ireland and it well known their love of trains in general. I always used to say if we were still under British rule we would still have the Tramore Train. Well that's not so I have a friend in Wales who lament's the closing down of similar rail lines in his county from the same time. Some of them that survived were taken over by rail lovers who struggle to keep them open. You would have to wonder would people use this service today when they can jump into a car outside their door. I was talking to an old man in Tramore a while back and he brought a wry smile to my face when he said to me you know the greatest sin ever committed in this county was when they closed the Tramore train and within three months all the rail tracks were removed and sold off for half nothing. What was their fear what was the rush. I agreed with him while thinking that my parents always expressed the same view. Not their worry now as both of them are in Tramore forever.

Did you ever pick Blackberries on the old Tramore line come to think of it around this time of year. I remember gangs of lads heading out the country with their cans to spend most of the day picking those berries. Coming home with purple hands and mouths you'd eat the leg of a table for tea. It was well worth it when you would see the tarts your Mother made from them mixed with apple the next day. Made in the morning and lucky to last till evening.

The prize cans were the ones that the hard boiled sweets came in. The first assignment was to get your hands on one of these prize possession's. Every shop in the nieghbourhood would be tapped, if you were clever enough you would have your order in early. Can I have an Icky Picky and a blackjack and will ye keep me one of those tins when their empty misses. You'd be raging if you went in with your next penny and there was a new can on the shelf to be told I'll keep the next one for you. I'll never buy my sweets in there again you would say to yourself as you walk out dejected until you get your next penny and all would be forgotten.
    Mac. In my humble opinion, the biggest mistake, any Irish Government made, was getting rid of the rural Railways. It is still happening - they're, at the moment, getting rid of the Waterford/Rosslare line. How DARE they do that! I and my Dad worked that line for years. Now it seems that some little pcrik has the power to demolish it?? Who da fcuk ARE these ppl?

I don't know about you - but it really psises me OFF!!!

Look at how rusted these rails are!

Jaysus Mac.! Thank you!

Picking Blackberries (?) I was one of dem soldiers!

Purple lips 'n' hands which would stay with you for 2 days at least! Still, the tarts and later - the jam - made it all worth it! :pac:

• Advertisement

May I please have a reply from Sully regarding my message re:

Pics & Vids.

Many thanks,

Denis.

Advertisement