Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

doctordon wrote: »
    Mac. In my humble opinion, the biggest mistake, any Irish Government made, was getting rid of the rural Railways. It is still happening - they're, at the moment, getting rid of the Waterford/Rosslare line. How DARE they do that! I and my Dad worked that line for years. Now it seems that some little pcrik has the power to demolish it?? Who da fcuk ARE these ppl?

I don't know about you - but it really psises me OFF!!!

Look at how rusted these rails are!

Its hard to credit but there isn't one mile of working rail line in Co. Waterford. Fair play to the Kilmeaden railway only for them there would be zero rail in this county. If the system had been maintained and planed better for the future it would be still a viable option for freight. Some very bad decision's have been made, you only have to travel some of the back roads and meet big juggernauts using these roads to see the madness of the poor decisions that have been made. I think they call this progress I prefer to label it madness.

Doc there seems to be silence at the other end I would take this as a go ahead. There is a famous quote "Print and be dammed". I think I removed the offending post concerning Dàithi Lacka as on second viewing it wasn't the original cartoon. Poor old Dàithi has been corrupted is anything safe anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Its hard to credit but there isn't one mile of working rail line in Co. Waterford. Fair play to the Kilmeaden railway only for them there would be zero rail in this county. If the system had been maintained and planed better for the future it would be still a viable option for freight. Some very bad decision's have been made, you only have to travel some of the back roads and meet big juggernauts using these roads to see the madness of the poor decisions that have been made. I think they call this progress I prefer to label it madness.

Doc there seems to be silence at the other end I would take this as a go ahead. There is a famous quote "Print and be dammed". I think I removed the offending post concerning Dàithi Lacka as on second viewing it wasn't the original cartoon. Poor old Dàithi has been corrupted is anything safe anymore.
    Some of you may enjoy this:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/learning-zone/primary-students/looking-at-places/waterford-city/waterford-and-tramore-rai/waterford-and-tramore-rai/first-trip-on-the-waterfo/

It was lovely to hear Jack O'Neil voice again. This man was a mine of information and you would grasp straight away his love of Railway and anything to do with Waterford. The Waterford Today is not the same without his article.

It was lovely to hear Jack O'Neil voice again. This man was a mine of information and you would grasp straight away his love of Railway and anything to do with Waterford. The Waterford Today is not the same without his article.
    Thanks for that Mac.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

The biggest factor mitigating against the Waterford to Tramore rail line was the fact that it was the only rail line in the entire network that was separate from the rest. Had the Tramore line linked up with the main Waterford to Dublin, Waterford - Rosslare line it would in all likelihood have survived.

The chance of it ever being reinstated is nil. The alignment was sold off soon after it closed and in some areas is built upon not to mention the prohibitive costs of building a new railway given the current economic climate. There is neither the capital nor the will to reinstate it.

In relation to the Waterford to Mallow line (via Dungarvan), slow speeds, steep gradient and too many level crossings did not help its case and the arrival of the car along with the improved N25 sealed its fate. It closed in 1967 and had it survived that cull, it would have gone in the next one of 1975-76 which shut Limerick to Sligo along with the Limerick to Tralee line.

• Advertisement

Partizan wrote: »
    The biggest factor mitigating against the Waterford to Tramore rail line was the fact that it was the only rail line in the entire network that was separate from the rest. Had the Tramore line linked up with the main Waterford to Dublin, Waterford - Rosslare line it would in all likelihood have survived.

The chance of it ever being reinstated is nil. The alignment was sold off soon after it closed and in some areas is built upon not to mention the prohibitive costs of building a new railway given the current economic climate. There is neither the capital nor the will to reinstate it.

In relation to the Waterford to Mallow line (via Dungarvan), slow speeds, steep gradient and too many level crossings did not help its case and the arrival of the car along with the improved N25 sealed its fate. It closed in 1967 and had it survived that cull, it would have gone in the next one of 1975-76 which shut Limerick to Sligo along with the Limerick to Tralee line.
    I'm afraid I must disagree with your assertion that it may have survived, had it been linked to the main network. It was in existence for over 100 years, independent of the mainlines, so obviously, something was being done right. The reason it closed, is that idiots got their hands on it.

One bus = 53 passengers

One train = 300 passengers (depending on the number of coaches)

You do the math.:D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joecashin/3135202299/

A fitting tribute to the state of rail service in Co Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

D'ya remember his winklepicker shoes. We were all scared sihtless of the bully!

Even though he is now a fat heap of wasted humanity, I feel sure that he is still making a living by bullying.

I would imagine that he is a modern day Fagin. That is the impression he left on me in school. PCRIK! :mad:
    Wrong doc the man is in empoyment and paying his taxes,and I also remember the mock prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Not sure about this Mac. I believe there are two of them though. I heard that Ballybeg was once a Templar graveyard?

The second one - and this is a guess - is in Ballyhack (actually Co. Wexford, opposite Passage East). The Knights Templar had a small fortress there, so I would imagine they also had a graveyard there.

The fortress is still there and here's a question for you. There are two reasons that these fortresses were built on solid rock. The first, and most obvious reason is that you had a solid foundation for the building. The second reason is defensive - what is it?

Just thought of another question. Take a look at the pic. On the top right of the building, there is what looks like a Pill Box. What is it? :confused:

You couldnt start a fire under it;)

Godsentme wrote: »
    You couldnt start a fire under it;)
    Duis! :D

• Advertisement

marlin vs wrote: »
    Wrong doc the man is in empoyment and paying his taxes,and I also remember the mock prison.
    I am very happy to hear it! You have to admit though, everybody was terrified of him in school - he was the original Nelson from The Simpsons.

I am very happy to hear it! You have to admit though, everybody was terrified of him in school - he was the original Nelson from The Simpsons.
    Haa haaa, ahh he wasn't that bad, I sat at the same desk with him for awhile and he used to make me laugh which took away the fear of the brothers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13462353@N05/5319923088/lightbox/

Do you remember your mother collecting these things. Come to think of it it was almost the same experience as purchasing an item from Argos. It would take forever to fill a book. Sheets, Towels or Electric Kettles or I remember begging my Mother to get an Electric Can Opener thinking it would make life easier for her as she hated opening cans. Well I think this piece of sh*t lasted about a month but I was reminded for ages after as she used to remind me these new fangled things were only gimmicks.
    She got our first electric kettle from these stamps, she filled it one morning turned it on and forgot to switch it off and went off to mass. When she came home the kitchen was full of steam and the kettle was in bits, the spout was buried in the wall. Some of the early electrical items were miniature time bombs if they weren't used properly come to think about it they still are.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13462353@N05/5319923088/lightbox/

Do you remember your mother collecting these things. Come to think of it it was almost the same experience as purchasing an item from Argos. It would take forever to fill a book. Sheets, Towels or Electric Kettles or I remember begging my Mother to get an Electric Can Opener thinking it would make life easier for her as she hated opening cans. Well I think this piece of sh*t lasted about a month but I was reminded for ages after as she used to remind me these new fangled things were only gimmicks.
    She got our first electric kettle from these stamps, she filled it one morning turned it on and forgot to switch it off and went off to mass. When she came home the kitchen was full of steam and the kettle was in bits, the spout was buried in the wall. Some of the early electrical items were miniature time bombs if they weren't used properly come to think about it they still are.
    I remember 'em well Mac. :D

http://youtu.be/OtYqh6f7nno

Remember this scam?

http://youtu.be/NopAq6tUHVk

I preferred this:

http://youtu.be/6Mq59ykPnAE

http://youtu.be/6Mq59ykPnAE[/QUOTE]

Ey by gum ya cant beat a bitta Ovis. Brilliant ad poor old Ridley Scott was never heard of again really damaged his career this ad.

Founded in 1783, where was the original Glass Factory located?

Founded in 1783, where was the original Glass Factory located?

I think it was in Johnstown not far from where Sinnot's record store was.

I think it was in Johnstown not far from where Sinnot's record store was.
    You're close Mac - very close. You need to walk further - up towards the Infirmary Hospital??? :D

You're close Mac - very close. You need to walk further - up towards the Infirmary Hospital??? :D

So they built the factory in the fifties very near the old site.
    Was it O'Grady's yard.

marlin vs wrote: »
    Haa haaa, ahh he wasn't that bad, I sat at the same desk with him for awhile and he used to make me laugh which took away the fear of the brothers.
    Thanks Marlin. I think, however, that you're missing the point.

The majority of kids in Mount Sion were terrified of Danker. :eek:

I am sure that with maturity, he has calmed down a bit. We were all a bit wild in our youth and have done things we are not proud of.

Personally, I wish him well, but would not cherish the thought of being back in school with him.

Having said that, I haven't seen the man for almost 45 years.

• Advertisement

So they built the factory in the fifties very near the old site.
    Was it O'Grady's yard.
    It may have been Mac. It was near the crossroads of South Parade, Johnshill and Ballytruckle road. I remember it as a very small kid, before they moved to the Cork Road/Matties Hill.

They bought the current site from Mr. Whittle, a gentleman farmer, who had his farm on the corner of Hennessy's Road and Blake's Lane.

I remember he had a Gynormous Pyrenean Mountain Dog, which we kids would tease, and then run like fcuk!

Looking back, he was beautiful - just frustrated at being locked up. Gorgeous dog.

Thanks Marlin. I think, however, that you're missing the point.

The majority of kids in Mount Sion were terrified of Danker. :eek:

I am sure that with maturity, he has calmed down a bit. We were all a bit wild in our youth and have done things we are not proud of.

Personally, I wish him well, but would not cherish the thought of being back in school with him.

Having said that, I haven't seen the man for almost 45 years.

Don't mind Danker do you remember Nan Carey who used to clean the toilets and was always moping the floors.
    A small little woman with glasses and grey hair tied up, now if you walked on Nan's newly moped floor with muddy shoes she'd let fly at you. If you happened to give her cheek she would report you to the Duke and you were gauranteed four of the best from him after he closed the door behind you as you entered his office.
    Twice I had the pleasure of a private audience with the Duke Murphy once I was accused in the wrong but I took four of the best that time or else I would have got the sh*t beat out of me by the real culprits and the first one Nan hung me for making a face at her that made all the lads laugh. I deserved that one. She was crossed eyed and I was behind her with my eyes crossed as all the lads were going in to the cloakroom. Poor woman I was cruel and I got what I deserved looking back on it now.

It may have been Mac. It was near the crossroads of South Parade, Johnshill and Ballytruckle road. I remember it as a very small kid, before they moved to the Cork Road/Matties Hill.

They bought the current site from Mr. Whittle, a gentleman farmer, who had his farm on the corner of Hennessy's Road and Blake's Lane.

I remember he had a Gynormous Pyrenean Mountain Dog, which we kids would tease, and then run like fcuk!

Looking back, he was beautiful - just frustrated at being locked up. Gorgeous dog.
    I remember Tom Whittle very well, many a time I was sent to that small farmyard by my mother for skimmed milk or sour milk as she would call it to make brown bread.
    I can still see myself walking in the gate knocking on the front door and the housekeeper would open the door and take the can and fill it for me.
    2d was the price for the can of milk actually the same type of can that we used for the blackberries.
    I always taught their living room was beautiful real old style full of ornaments, something you would not have seen in any of the houses around our neighbourhood at that time.
    Do you remember his van it was a green Morris Minor. Yes I remember the dog also I taught he was huge and I was always glad he was locked up as he would bark when you entered the yard.
    It was a lovely neat and tidy house and yard its a pity to see it lying in ruin today.
    I never knew that was his farm on Matties Hill that was sold to the Glass. Jasus my mother's 2d didn't make him the rich man he was. Always taught his wife was a bit of a snob, if she answered the door it was never hello but always "yes what do you want" knowing full well looking at me with the can in my hand what I was there for. That always made me feel small, it more than likely was an inferior complex I had that was one of the presents that I got from Mount Sion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Summers with sunlight and warm, dry weather.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Unknown.JPG

Can anyone remember the name that pub in Ballybricken area ? Cant remember the name, Three doors from Dr Liam MaCann . That Pub is now a Polish Shop. Thanks in Advance.

Unknown.JPG

Can anyone remember the name that pub in Ballybricken area ? Cant remember the name, Three doors from Dr Liam MaCann . That Pub is now a Polish Shop. Thanks in Advance.

Mackey's was the name of this premise's. It used to open early in the morning so it got the nickname Lourdes. My father often got a cure on a Monday morning going to work.

Mackey's was the name of this premise's. It used to open early in the morning so it got the nickname Lourdes. My father often got a cure on a Monday morning going to work.
    Jaysus Mac., you've got some memory! Fair play to ya boy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

does anyone remember the summer outings the "st johns park developement assocation " used to organise for the local children. They used to bring 2 or 3 bus loads of us to Butlins. We looked forward to it for weeks beforehand, The committee worked tirelessly for the area, and made it a great area to grow up in.I think these outings would have been in the early 70 s

Jaysus Mac., you've got some memory! Fair play to ya boy! ;)

Well this pub had the nickname Lourdes and I remember with a smile my father telling me it had a bigger success rate at cures the the real place. It was known to open at 6 o'clock in the morning, he availed of it many a time.:cool:

• Advertisement

Well this pub had the nickname Lourdes and I remember with a smile my father telling me it had a bigger success rate at cures the the real place. It was known to open at 6 o'clock in the morning, he availed of it many a time.:cool:
    And I remember playing in his big back garden with the chicken's.

Advertisement