Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

marlin vs wrote: »
    And I remember playing in his big back garden with the chicken's.

Those days will always hold very special memories for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

doctordon wrote: »
    I remember 'em well Mac. :D

http://youtu.be/OtYqh6f7nno

Remember this scam?

http://youtu.be/NopAq6tUHVk

I preferred this:

http://youtu.be/6Mq59ykPnAE

Where did you get the Green Shield stamps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Those days will always hold very special memories for me.
    And playing viking's, making boats and spears and hanging off the tower that was always full of ivy, simple times that were very happy,and cooking eels with nettles over an open fire convincing ourselves they were lovely.Happy day's.

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Besco Supermarket used to have them, they worked the same as loyalty cards do today.
    The more you bought the more you got.
    Many other shops used them but Besco sticks in my mind.

And playing viking's, making boats and spears and hanging off the tower that was always full of ivy, simple times that were very happy,and cooking eels with nettles over an open fire convincing ourselves they were lovely.Happy day's.

That was the Grotto, how none of us didn't brake our legs or poison ourselves I will never know.

• Advertisement

That was the Grotto, how none of us didn't brake our legs or poison ourselves I will never know.
    I did.

I did.

I genuinely hope it wasn't my fault.
    Did you ever get bit by the dog even though he was mine the fcuker bit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The L&N Supermarket.

Besco Supermarket used to have them, they worked the same as loyalty cards do today.
    The more you bought the more you got.
    Many other shops used them but Besco sticks in my mind.
    Ahhhh! Besco's was famous for scaffolding! Remember in 1972, when the building was being renovated? There was a protest march because of Bloody Sunday in Derry. People climbed onto the scaffolding, which eventually collapsed. :eek:

I genuinely hope it wasn't my fault.
    Did you ever get bit by the dog even though he was mine the fcuker bit me.
    No I kept well clear of him, I think his name was Rover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

For all the geniuses out there,what does L&N stand for.

No I kept well clear of him, I think his name was Rover.
    Ah I loved the ould mut.
    For all the geniuses out there,what does L&N stand for.

I'm no genius as some of the best marks I got going to Mount Sion were on the palm of my hands but I remember The London & Newcastle well.

^^^^^^^^
    Yes I'll accept that,it's full title was London & Newcastle Tea Co.I can still see the old tea chest's on the floor in there.

^^^^^^^^
    Yes I'll accept that,it's full title was London & Newcastle Tea Co.I can still see the old tea chest's on the floor in there.

Of course that's the full title. Waterford people always shorten names for example The Glass remember that wonderful factory.
    Here's one for you what was the L&N known to our ancestors long before our time.

Ahhhh! Besco's was famous for scaffolding! Remember in 1972, when the building was being renovated? There was a protest march because of Bloody Sunday in Derry. People climbed onto the scaffolding, which eventually collapsed. :eek:

Nobody from that era will ever forget Bloody Sunday.
    A few of us were on that scaffolding when it collapsed I remember thinking when it was falling I'll hang on until near the ground and then I'll jump, made no difference as I got a right slap of the ground.
    A friend who was with me that day had a cast taken off his hand a few days previous broke his hand in the fall again so he was one of the injured carted off in one of the Ambulance that day. Do you remember the Mayor who was making the speech that day. Here's a question who was he.

Nobody from that era will ever forget Bloody Sunday.
    A few of us were on that scaffolding when it collapsed I remember thinking when it was falling I'll hang on until near the ground and then I'll jump, made no difference as I got a right slap of the ground.
    A friend who was with me that day had a cast taken off his hand a few days previous broke his hand in the fall again so he was one of the injured carted off in one of the Ambulance that day. Do you remember the Mayor who was making the speech that day. Here's a question who was he.
    Sorry Mac. I wasn't there, and I never had any time for Mayors of Waterford (or any politician, apart from Charlie). So, I'm afraid your question goes way above my head. Educate me s'il vous plait. :)

Sorry Mac. I wasn't there, and I never had any time for Mayors of Waterford (or any politician, apart from Charlie). So, I'm afraid your question goes way above my head. Educate me s'il vous plait. :)

I was very good friends with a nephew of the man.
    Tom (Knox) Brennen was the Mayor at the time. I remember when the scaffolding collapsed with all the pandemonium going on the panic that took place on the stage was comical. Well I say stage it was the back of a truck. I suppose it must have made some noise plus two fellows fell in through the window of Besco luckily nobody was seriously hurt, there was a awful lot went out to Ard Keen in the Ambulance's for the thrill. I didn't bother even though I limped home I hated the taught of going to A&E.

I was very good friends with a nephew of the man.
    Tom (Knox) Brennen was the Mayor at the time. I remember when the scaffolding collapsed with all the pandemonium going on the panic that took place on the stage was comical. Well I say stage it was the back of a truck. I suppose it must have made some noise plus two fellows fell in through the window of Besco luckily nobody was seriously hurt, there was a awful lot went out to Ard Keen in the Ambulance's for the thrill. I didn't bother even though I limped home I hated the taught of going to A&E.
    I've always been interested in what happened North of the "Border". I was never really interested in domestic politics (until Charlie came to power) especially local politics. All I ever saw in local politics, as a teenager, was a group of Auld Fellas bickering over who owned the ball! Bollokcs! :mad:
    Please be assured, Mac. & everybody, there is NO offense meant by the pic! This man dragged us, screaming, out of the dark ages! His attitude was - "you don't like it? Fcuk you!" I admire that. The ONLY crime he committed - was getting caught! :rolleyes:

I've always been interested in what happened North of the "Border". I was never really interested in domestic politics (until Charlie came to power) especially local politics. All I ever saw in local politi as a teenager, was a group of Auld Fellas bickering over who owned the ball! Bollokcs! :mad:
    Please be assured, Mac. & everybody, there is NO offense meant by the pic! This man dragged us, screaming, out of the dark ages! His attitude was - "you don't like it? Fcuk you!" I admire that. The ONLY crime he committed - was getting caught! :rolleyes:

In 1990 we done the Ring Of Kerry and we spent a day in Valencia Island.
    We were out on the pier admiring the view and there was this Yacht moored there with a bit of a party going on in it. We were minding our own business when this fellow called us and gave the wife and myself a drink saying compliments of the Boss. Yes it was the Celtic Mist and Charlie gave us a wave.
    He had the common touch no doubt but I will stick with his Father in Laws advice to George Colley "don't trust that fellow". We are paying a heavy price in this country now because of his kind of politics although the one thing I liked about him he always stood up to Maggie Thatcher.

In 1990 we done the Ring Of Kerry and we spent a day in Valencia Island.
    We were out on the pier admiring the view and there was this Yacht moored there with a bit of a party going on in it. We were minding our own business when this fellow called us and gave the wife and myself a drink saying compliments of the Boss. Yes it was the Celtic Mist and Charlie gave us a wave.
    He had the common touch no doubt but I will stick with his Father in Laws advice to George Colley "don't trust that fellow". We are paying a heavy price in this country now because of his kind of politics although the one thing I liked about him he always stood up to Maggie Thatcher.
    If it wasn't for Charlie, I would not be living in Thailand. Thanks to him, I retired at the age of 47 and never have to work again. I made a lot of money, late in the "Haughy Era", as did a lot of people.

Sure, he was a crook and made a lot of money, but he also enabled other people to make money.

Another endearing feature of the man - as you say - was that he had no time for the witch at No. 10. Although a crook (as is every politician), he was a patriot. It was the guys (Ahearne & Co.) who came after him that fcuked everything up. That is my humble opinion. :cool:

Although crooked, there were achievements.

http://www.fiannafail.ie/content/pages/charles-haughey/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Ok Guys back on topic..

I was racking my brain and bouncing a fewplaces off the mates over a few pints in Geoff’s last night and we came up with some great places from back in the day..

Not Sure if they were all mentioned before as I haven’t time to go back over 50 odd pages..

Goff’s: Back to school and office supplies (Benetton there now)

Saxone’s: Shoe shop (Opposite Cathedral)

Garrigans: Tobacconists (Gallagher’s Chemist there now)

TheLooking Glass: Ladies and children’s fashion (SpiceWorld there now)

Kavendish’s: Furniture Shop (Guiney’s there now)

Sportsman:Toys & Sports shop Georges street (Was at one of the entrances to George’s streetshopping centre before the centre was built)

TheStichCraft : O’ Connell street ,sold everythingfrom a needle to an anchor. Fireplace shop there now I think..

Bowesmeat shop: O’ Connell Street, (Pets & Vetsthere now)

GeorgeWhite’s Chemist end of Thomas hill, (Gary Wisecarpets there now)

Mork& Mindy: End of Patrick Street on corner, soldcrazy fashions ( H Samuels there now)

TheCoffee Shop: on Patrick Street, Fabulous cake shopand café. (Bistro there now)

The Casket:used to be beside the Coffee shop. A wool shop (Gregory’sthere now)

Fitzpatrick’swool shop: End of alexander Street (Shoe Rack therenow)

HotToms Bread shop: Michael Street, Restaurant upstairs, (Pound shop there now)

BostonCleaners beside Hot Toms’ and Lipton’s supermarket Tea supplier (Sony centre there now)

Wellworths: Opposite Sully’s snooker hall before City Square was built,

JunkCity: A Market,Stalls old furniture records etc.(Citysquare there now)

Mackey’s the Quay, Ice Cream floats and Coffee shop (Beside Kelly’s on theQuay)

They should bring a few memories back to a few of our older boardies :)

I retired at the age of 47 and never have to work again. I made a lot of money, late in the "Haughy Era", as did a lot of people.

Well done there Doc.
    I'm still a Joe Soap but I raised four children I am very proud of.
    Here's a photo of something that was a constant on our beloved Suir now sadly rusting away like the Red Iron
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/6487197431/

Funfair wrote: »
    Ok Guys back on topic..

I was racking my brain and bouncing a fewplaces off the mates over a few pints in Geoff’s last night and we came up with some great places from back in the day..

Wow that's a comprehensive list there.
    Hope them pints were creamy. I drank in Geoff's in my day's in Waterford but I also had a few creamy one's in a much smaller Geoff Power's which was the name over the door of the present establishment. When old Geoff died his nephew took over and expanded and expanded.
    I remember when he first took over some of the older customer's still drank there for a while but slowly drifted away as it clearly wasn't there scene, they used to look around in amazement at some of the new clientele. One very funny older customer said to me the last time I saw him there " Ah I only have an old age pension card I haven't got a hey man card good luck" and he was gone. We christened Geoff Carlos Santana because he looked like him at the time.

I retired at the age of 47 and never have to work again. I made a lot of money, late in the "Haughy Era", as did a lot of people.

Well done there Doc.
    I'm still a Joe Soap but I raised four children I am very proud of.
    Here's a photo of something that was a constant on our beloved Suir now sadly rusting away like the Red Iron
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/6487197431/
    Hey Mac., I'm still a Joe Soap myself! I am very proud of, and have never forgotten where I come from, and I love to get back there when I can.

It's a crime - the way the Port Lairge is allowed to rust like that! I remember that I used to love watching her work and being fascinated at all the mud she would dredge up. She was also responsible for retrieving a number of poor unfortunates who had drowned in the Suir.

As a kid, I used to wonder "OK, it's full of mud - how the hell do they empty it"? My father explained that she had a flat keel which was opened to empty her. An absolutely beautiful piece of engineering. Thanks for that Mac.!:)

Ok Guys back on topic..

Not Sure if they were all mentioned before as I haven’t time to go back over 50 odd pages..

Sportsman:Toys & Sports shop Georges street (Was at one of the entrances to George’s streetshopping centre before the centre was built)

TheStichCraft : O’ Connell street ,sold everythingfrom a needle to an anchor. Fireplace shop there now I think..

Mork& Mindy: End of Patrick Street on corner, soldcrazy fashions ( H Samuels there now)

TheCoffee Shop: on Patrick Street, Fabulous cake shopand café. (Bistro there now)

BostonCleaners beside Hot Toms’ and Lipton’s supermarket Tea supplier (Sony centre there now)

Wasn't there also a Goffs Shoe Repair Shop on John's Street? Left hand side, walking towards the infirmary, just before Johns Bridge. I used to love the smell of leather from that shop!

I remember being dragged into Fitzpatricks Wool shop by my mother and praying that none of my mates would see me. It was then onto Greers Cake Shop, to get the Chester Bread for us kids and the Strawberry Sandwich and 6 assorted cream cakes for my mother's "visitors" (she used to have some friends over every Tuesday night).

Used to love watching them make the doughnuts in Hot Toms window and then pump the strawberry jam into them, 2 at a time. They also made awesome French Bread.

Do you remember IMCO, a Dry-cleaners, on the corner of Manor Street and Johns Lane?

Hey Mac., I'm still a Joe Soap myself! I am very proud of, and have never forgotten where I come from, and I love to get back there when I can.

Fair play to you Doc its lovely to see an auld Mount Sion pupil doing well.
    Thailand sounds beautiful best of luck to you boy.

Here's another place that's still going strong did you ever shop here. Mr. Higgins the man that never smiled but always had an eye for the latest fashion's was the first shop in town to sell Levi's.
    I bought my first pair there for 65 shillings and wore then till they fell apart

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patduggan/2740940822/lightbox/

Wasn't there also a Goffs Shoe Repair Shop on John's Street? Left hand side,

Yes Doc they were the one family. Do you remember Goff's down on the square sold a lot of leather goods also.

Ok Guys back on topic..

I had forgotten about all of these place's,after reading you post the memories came flooding back.I remember my mother treating me to a knickerbocker glory in Mackey's I was about 6,it was huge,I had to kneel on the seat to eat it.
    I remember going to George White's with my father to buy methylated spirt's to use in the primus stove to make tea on woodstown beach,when summer's were good.
    My grandmother used to send me to Garrigan's to get her a Half crown worth of snuff every week.
    Goff's was the last shop in Waterford to have a delivery boy on the old black bicycle with the big basket on the front.That particular bike ended up over the bar in the Pulpit bar.
    Thank's for the memories.:cool:

O K I have a few more business'es that have since gone by the wayside.
    Before Argos there was Darrers Stores but before Darrers there was Nickolas Hennebrys grocery shop and bar at the back, nearby there was Verekers which was a beautiful shop. Cantwells shoe shop, Boyces cloths shop Jackmans where John Palmer is now
    Gaules electrial shop Mattie Harpurs Hardware, Bevans for school books,
    Crokers book binders, Chessnuts Sportshop, the owner was a gentleman, Howards music shop all these shops were on the quay. I spent a few bob in every one of these shops long long ago.

• Advertisement

Fair play to you Doc its lovely to see an auld Mount Sion pupil doing well.
    Thailand sounds beautiful best of luck to you boy.

Here's another place that's still going strong did you ever shop here. Mr. Higgins the man that never smiled but always had an eye for the latest fashion's was the first shop in town to sell Levi's.
    I bought my first pair there for 65 shillings and wore then till they fell apart

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patduggan/2740940822/lightbox/
    Jaysus Mac., what a load of memories there! :)

Corner of John's Street and New Street, opposite the Apple Market, where the "Mad Salesman" had his stall - selling everything from a pin to an anchor.

Where the people are standing in the pic, was just about where Algie had his first (I think) barber shop, and opposite that was 1 of 2 Widgers Butcher shops. The other one, as far as I can remember, was further up the street, on the right hand side, near Boyers.

Christ I just had a walk up Michael Street (thanks to Street View on Google Maps). Widgers 2nd. shop is still there, as is Greers Cake Shop. Amazing! The first Widgers, near New Street, looks a lot more prosperous than Tosh Widgers further up. Methinks the brothers had a falling out?

Advertisement