Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    doctordon wrote: »
    Wasn't there also a Goffs Shoe Repair Shop on John's Street? Left hand side,

Yes Doc they were the one family. Do you remember Goff's down on the square sold a lot of leather goods also.
    Sorry Mac., I can't remember that shop.

Our family used to get shoes repaired in Goff's and I used to love going in there on the odd Saturday to collect Jack's repaired shoes.

I remember the lady there, who was about 50 at the time, having a full head of jet black hair. A lovely, friendly and jovial lady!

Anybody remember the Lady on the Manor, just past Madigans (heading towards the Cork Road) who made home-made ice cream? It used to take her an age to fill a cone, but was well worth the wait.

Then, a little further on was the furnished derelict house, which we kids were convinced was haunted. It was fully furnished and derelict for donkey's years! We used to cross the road, in case a ghostly hand would grab us as we were passing! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Jaysus Mac., Methinks the brothers had a falling out?
    Sadly no Doc one of the brothers died.
    Sorry Mac., I can't remember that shop.

Anybody remember the Lady on the Manor, just past Madigans (heading towards the Cork Road) who made home-made ice cream? It used to take her an age to fill a cone, but was well worth the wait.

Then, a little further on was the furnished derelict house, which we kids were convinced was haunted. It was fully furnished and derelict for donkey's years! We used to cross the road, in case a ghostly hand would grab us as we were passing! :eek:

Think about Goff's three doors from Coad's next to the first Dunne's Store's heading for George's St.

Was the shop on the Manor O'Conner's next to Shefflin's Pub.

As the story goes this house was haunted. When the owners came down in the morning all their furniture used to be moved around. They left it one morning and never came back.

Think about Goff's three doors from Coad's next to the first Dunne's Store's heading for George's St.

As the story goes this house was haunted. When the owners came down in the morning all their furniture used to be moved around. They left it one morning and never came back.
    I know that Dunnes Stores was where Darrers used to be - now Argus.

I remember Coads, but I can't for the life of me, remember Goffs. Maybe it was too posh for us.

Yes(!) Mac., I think it WAS O'Connors. According to Google Street View, Manor Properties is in the building now. While on the Manor (in Google Street View), I checked out the haunted house. Looks good now, P.V.C. windows etc. :P

Sorry to hear that. I only ever knew one of them - Joe. He paid me 50p in the early 70's to help him drive a heard of cattle from his farm to the opposite side of the Tramore Road. He had a wonderful dog which helped us control the cattle - the same way a sheep dog controls sheep. Halycon days!! :rolleyes:

p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

doctordon or mccarthy, maybe one of you could help me? I'm looking for a little bit of history on the abandoned building in Gracedieu with the grey slate tiles all over the front of it. The plaque says something like "Dr. Hussey lived here", it has a number of outhouses and an old car is rusting away in the courtyard. The Bilberry Goats are sometimes in around the grounds of it.

Like I say, I don't know why, but I'd like to know the history of it, who lived there, or was it used for anything in particular? Who owns it noe etc?! Any help appreciated! :)

• Advertisement

I know that Dunnes Stores was where Darrers used to be - now Argus.

No Doc when Dunne's Stores first came to town looking down Barronstrand St. you had Coad's on the corner then come towards George's St. two doors was where Dunne's used to be. Next door was Gough's thinking about it this is the proper spelling. It was a tall building that was knocked down when George's Court was expanded in the mid 80s. You could enter Dunne's near Gough's and come out facing the Cathedral.
    Its Joe Widger's brother that died I didn't know the mans name but he ran the shop that is dilapidated now. I remember Widger's always had very good working dogs out on their farm I havn't been that way in years.

Jason Todd wrote: »
    doctordon or mccarthy, maybe one of you could help me? I'm looking for a little bit of history on the abandoned building in Gracedieu with the grey slate tiles all over the front of it. The plaque says something like "Dr. Hussey lived here", it has a number of outhouses and an old car is rusting away in the courtyard. The Bilberry Goats are sometimes in around the grounds of it.

Like I say, I don't know why, but I'd like to know the history of it, whole lived there, or was it used for anything in particular? Who owns it noe etc?! Any help appreciated! :)

Here you go Jason Dr Thomas Hussey Bishop of Waterford known as the rebel Bishop.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/joecashin/197370457/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

Masons..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Junior wrote: »
    Masons..

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Does anyone remember the old man who was blind? He used to sell little windmills and he had a very old guide dog.

• Advertisement

Here you go Jason Dr Thomas Hussey Bishop of Waterford known as the rebel Bishop.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/joecashin/197370457/
    Jaysus Mac.! I think you should fill Jack's shoes - you're a bloody mine of information! When I saw the question, I was wracking what few brain cells I have and could not think of the building. Come to think of it I can't even remember Goughs (thank you for the correct spelling).

I know I haven't lived in the Fair City for 35 years, and remember some things, bit fcukit - am I going senile? HaHaHa!

Not yet, I'm CRMR!

Amazing how a person can remember small, insignificant things or events - but the major ones escape us.

Here's a memory of mine, which may or may not be relevant.

In mid to late Autumn, Jack - who was an avid gardener - would go and collect leaves at the back of the convent on Sleivekeale Road, and Keane's Road. I was always the wheelbarrow driver. He would gather up the leaves and fork them into the barrow.

At that time, it was also possible to find a few balls of horse shiet - pure GOLD! This would also be shoveled into the barrow (no, no, ye can't fork horse shiet!):D

Tip: When loading a wheel barrow - put all the weight onto the wheel. This makes the barrow light and easy to manoeuvre.

Anywho - the leaves and horse shiet would be brought to our back garden and mixed to make the best compost ever - as I said previously, we never bought a vegetable. Jack was a clever man.;)

Jason Todd wrote: »

Like I say, I don't know why, but I'd like to know the history of it, who lived there, or was it used for anything in particular? Who owns it noe etc?! Any help appreciated! :)
    Sorry Jason, I have absolutely no idea. I haven't lived in Waterford for the past 35 years. I think Mac. has hit the nail on the head though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the old man who was blind? He used to sell little windmills and he had a very old guide dog.

I think I posted about this guy. Is he the fella that was outside the womens Dunnes? If so I don't think he was actually blind. I'm not sure. My mother was doubtful. She used to say he was pretending and that he was a millionaire making money from stressed parents who had to bring their kids around town. This could be her tissue of lies though because she never once bought me a windmill.

JenniFurr wrote: »
    I think I posted about this guy. Is he the fella that was outside the womens Dunnes? If so I don't think he was actually blind. I'm not sure. My mother was doubtful. She used to say he was pretending and that he was a millionaire making money from stressed parents who had to bring their kids around town. This could be her tissue of lies though because she never once bought me a windmill.
    There are professional beggars. I only realised that when I went to live in Dublin. (Please note: I am not saying that this particular man was one - maybe he was genuine). When I lived in Dublin, I saw travelers kids begging on O'Connell Bridge.

All of a sudden - they would disappear.

The truth was that people in Dublin would get fed up with them, so they moved to Patrick's Bridge in Cork. They would spend three months there and then move back to O'Connell Bridge in Dublin.

Begging is an art!

If you ever come to Bangkok - you will see this art form in action. "Blind" people feeling their way around Sukhumvit Road or Silom with a white stick. They "fumble" themselves into a laneway - away from prying eyes - fold the white stick, take off the dark glasses, and briskly walk home!

There is one guy - a pitiful guy - who crawls on the foot path on Sukhumvit Road here in Bkk (Tourist Area). He has one arm and one leg. When you are trying to pass the guy, you invariably feel guilty, and drop a few coins into his dish which he pushes ahead of him, "using all his strength". The truth is (according to my sources here in Bangkok) he traveled to India to have an arm and leg removed surgically!

As in Ireland, people get fed up with this guy after a few weeks. Soooo..........he moves to - and spends about 3 months in Silom (another Tourist Area)! It's an art form! :cool:

Sorry you never got your windmill! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

Sorry you never got your windmill! :(

Thank you. This guy was a fixture in waterford for many years. He was Irish though and if he was faking blindness he was probably doing so for disability allowance but he could well have been blind. He definitely wasn't a beggar. He just sold pinwheels to pestered parents. I think he died about ten years ago. He was quite old when I was a kid.

It was probably best that she never bought me one anyway. I would have just lost or broken it and would want another one the next time. She probably saved herself more grief in the long run!

Jaysus Mac.! I think you should fill Jack's shoes - you're a bloody mine of information! When I saw the question, I was wracking what few brain cells I have and could not think of the building. Come to think of it I can't even remember Goughs (thank you for the correct spelling).

I know I haven't lived in the Fair City for 35 years, and remember some things, bit fcukit - am I going senile? HaHaHa!

Not yet, I'm CRMR!

Amazing how a person can remember small, insignificant things or events - but the major ones escape us.

Here's a memory of mine, which may or may not be relevant.

In mid to late Autumn, Jack - who was an avid gardener - would go and collect leaves at the back of the convent on Sleivekeale Road, and Keane's Road. I was always the wheelbarrow driver. He would gather up the leaves and fork them into the barrow.

At that time, it was also possible to find a few balls of horse shiet - pure GOLD! This would also be shoveled into the barrow (no, no, ye can't fork horse shiet!):D

Tip: When loading a wheel barrow - put all the weight onto the wheel. This makes the barrow light and easy to manoeuvre.

Anywho - the leaves and horse shiet would be brought to our back garden and mixed to make the best compost ever - as I said previously, we never bought a vegetable. Jack was a clever man.;)

Jack O'Neil was a very clever man. I admired his political views and I always read anything he wrote. What amazed me was his thirst for knowledge as I have said The Waterford Today is not the same read without his historical column. I wouldn't dream of trying to follow in his footsteps as they are to big to follow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joecashin/197351551/in/photostream/

Now, that's a great photo, Mac.! The last time that bell was rung - it kept on ringing, probably with no response. Look at how deep off centre the button is.

Where was the "door furniture" bought? Johnny Hearns, on the Quay I suspect.

Can you imagine the stories those small flecks of paint could tell?

I also love the symmetry of the numerals over the Bell Push, but WTF is the roofing nail doing in the lower right hand corner? The mind boggles.

You can also see that before the door was painted Green, it had been painted Blue and also yellow.

I have a question - where did the fleck of white paint on the bell push housing come from?

Thank you for digging it up Mac.! Excellent!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joecashin/197351551/in/photostream/

I have a question - where did the fleck of white paint on the bell push housing come from?

Thank you for digging it up Mac.! Excellent!

Oh that's a teardrop the door is crying out for a lick of paint.

Have a look at this photo the tall building on the left just barely captured is Gough's. They used to sell the schoolbags that would strap on your back that were popular in the 60's.

Look at Imco

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33577523@N08/3824626258/in/photostream/lightbox/

Oh that's a teardrop the door is crying out for a lick of paint.

Have a look at this photo the tall building on the left just barely captured is Gough's. They used to sell the schoolbags that would strap on your back that were popular in the 60's.

Look at Imco

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33577523@N08/3824626258/in/photostream/lightbox/
    Ooooooops! Must have been the Boston Cleaners that was on the Manor. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Anyone remember when the castle on the street between Spokes and Blacktie on Patrick Street was easy to access and kids used to climb up to the top at lunchtime and act the maggot, throwing a few things off the edge! This would be the early 90s. The castle is still there but last time I checked the entrance was blocked off..

Ooooooops! Must have been the Boston Cleaners that was on the Manor. :rolleyes:

No Doc you are right there was an Imco cleaners down in Johnstown near Sinnot's and one of the first Italian chip shops in Ireland Delicato's was also nearby.
    I only saw this Imco in the photo I don't remember it being there as it must have been the early 60's they probably moved to a more convenient address as I'm sure the rates were a lot higher on Barronstrand St.

Anyone remember when the castle on the street between Spokes and Blacktie on Patrick Street was easy to access and kids used to climb up to the top at lunchtime and act the maggot, throwing a few things off the edge! This would be the early 90s. The castle is still there but last time I checked the entrance was blocked off..

Is this the castle seen from the car park behind Supermac's. Wasn't there a child badly injured from a fall there a few year's ago maybe that's why its blocked off now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamcheasty/4181065169/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bussleton

The Lido (Where Supermacks Red Square)
    The Railway gates in Bath Street
    Monica (the quare yan that was around city and new ross!!!)
    Beside the Savoy there was a little fur shop - sold sheep-skin coats - cant remember the name of it.
    Ankle Socks another quare yan!!!!!!

bussleton wrote: »
    Beside the Savoy there was a little fur shop - sold sheep-skin coats - cant remember the name of it.
    You may find this interesting:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/history-heritage/history-of-ireland/waterford-businesses-of-t/cinemas/the-savoy/

I believe the Fur Shop is on the left-hand side. I can't see a name. Maybe it was run by the owners of the cinema.

I useta love looking at the still photos of the film (filum, flick) that was showing - on either side of the main entrance, just behind the concertina gates!:D

Can anybody tell me why there is a black laneway running across the otherwise grey cobbles? Beidh duais! :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orlapix/1395681233/

bussleton wrote: »
    This is the closet I can find of the gates at Bath Street;

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/environment-geography/transport/waterford-and-tramore-rai/

I remember my Dad taking us down there to watch the guys strip a beautiful Steam Engine, when the decision had been taken to scrap the railway. I'm sure Jack cried that day!

You may find this interesting:
    I believe the Fur Shop is on the left-hand side. I can't see a name. Maybe it was run by the owners of the cinema.

I useta love looking at the still photos of the film (filum, flick) that was showing - on either side of the main entrance, just behind the concertina gates!:D
    If you go into the present day Book Centre go up the stairs and look down you can still see the outline of the Savoy stage, the ceiling is still the same.
    If you need to use the loo it is still the old Savoy toilets, brings back memories when your taking a leak
    Can anybody tell me why there is a black laneway running across the otherwise grey cobbles? Beidh duais! :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orlapix/1395681233/
    Its just pure design Black and grey Spanish Granite. The black breaks up the monotony of the Grey Granite. It turned out a real nice job.

If you go into the present day Book Centre go up the stairs and look down you can still see the outline of the Savoy stage, the ceiling is still the same.
    If you need to use the loo it is still the old Savoy toilets, brings back memories when your taking a leak

Its just pure design Black and grey Spanish Granite. The black breaks up the monotony of the Grey Granite. It turned out a real nice job.
    I don't think so Mac. I was told that the black cobbles follow the course of an underground river/stream, which flows into the suir. ;)

• Advertisement

I don't think so Mac. I was told that the black cobbles follow the course of an underground river/stream, which flows into the suir. ;)

I've sen this kind of work in other cities and there was a similar design to break up the grey.
    It would be very interesting if this is the case though it would make the design more authentic well done to who ever designed it.
    I,ll take more notice the next time I visit Waterford. Nice to see a bit of taught going in to the town centre.
    Well done Doc I didn't know this.

Advertisement