Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

jo06555 wrote: »
    Remember him??

7iCr3l.jpg

Ah good old Johnny Lyons. I remember growing up as a child seeing him outside Dunnes selling the windmills. I always though he never sold any cause he had the same few windmills on the edges on the upside down box :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 willkillslot

Guramoogah wrote: »
    Whatever happened to that cottage with the lovely murals in Rockenham, Ferrybank, across the road from the graveyard?
    Only just saw your post from 2009, don't know if you got a reply, but to the best of my knowledge the cottage was a continual source of contention with the Bretts, of bext door shop and then separate Post Office infamy.
    I believe that many complaints were made about the building and when the old guy died they bought the house and land from his daughter and immediately demolished it.
    Now I could be wrong about some of this, but that's the story I heard.
    I've been looking for any pictures anyone may have of this house, I think it was hexagonal and a mustardy colour, used to pass it on my way to school, old guy with white hair and a white beard used to sit outside and paint the walls.
    In other countries they appreciate these kind of things - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zalipie,_Lesser_Poland_Voivodeship

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Kelly's Cottage, Rockenham, Ferrybank. Surprisingly, very few photos seem to exist of such a photogenic building. There are three on this page (scroll half-way down the page to "Photos from the Past"): http://www.ferrybank.ie/photo_gallery.html

All that's left today: http://goo.gl/maps/U5ZVY

• Registered Users Posts: 3 willkillslot

That's brilliant, thanks for that, at least a couple of pictures survived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

how long are them double decker buses gone the kennealys buses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Ilikeyourcow

Could already be mentioned but remember "The Valley" between ballybeg and larchville??

When you are small it was like been in middle earth except for rats lol

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭archicraft

The area of the city which is now occupied by city square, called Peter Street, can anybody remember what it looked like before "progress"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

archicraft wrote: »
    The area of the city which is now occupied by city square, called Peter Street, can anybody remember what it looked like before "progress"

I know that some building on streets behind the main buildings on the quay were abandoned and delapitated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I remember the guy in the little hut in the Car Park where city square is now. I think he put a note on your car when you went in and you paid him on the way out. It had a tiny little white railings around it. My mother hit this and we had to tell the guy in the hut!

I think I remember Woolworths re locating to somewhere near that hut when they left the now Pennys site.
    They closed soon afterwards.

The Wimpy was somewhere in there too and Finns Camera shop.

There City Arms was a smaller pub about where Next Kids is now, it was knocked down and a new one was built in the center.

I was about 3 ft high at the time though, so I can remember a ground plan!

No I mean closer to peter street. High St, Peter St & Lady Lane generally run parallel then perpendicular to Henrietta St.Ive attached some pic’s below. Pic.1 illustrates where the front entrance of city square is now, pic.2 illustrates the area just inside the rear entrance & pic.3 is an aerial view of the site during early construction.

@ finnbar01

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Am i dreaming or was there a shop called An Siopa just to the left of the park (where the garage is now) run by one or two old ladies who used to speak Irish?? Anyone else remember this, I think they used to just sell sweets, bread and milk, it was a small enough shop..

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I remember the guy in the little hut in the Car Park where city square is now. I think he put a note on your car when you went in and you paid him on the way out. It had a tiny little white railings around it. My mother hit this and we had to tell the guy in the hut!

I think I remember Woolworths re locating to somewhere near that hut when they left the now Pennys site.
    They closed soon afterwards.

The Wimpy was somewhere in there too and Finns Camera shop.

There City Arms was a smaller pub about where Next Kids is now, it was knocked down and a new one was built in the center.

I was about 3 ft high at the time though, so I can remember a ground plan!

Below are pics of the city arms pub.Pic.A is the pub :) & pic.B after it was knocked :(.

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Your man was there for about 20 years charging people to use the car park.

One day he didn't turn up, he had passed away. People started enquiring with the corporation as he was such a nice man, they wanted to know who he was to offer condolences to his family.

Turned out the corporation knew nothing about this man and parking there had always been free. He apparently made thousands up through the years!

Finnbar01 wrote: »

One day he didn't turn up, he had passed away. People started enquiring with the corporation as he was such a nice man, they wanted to know who he was to offer condolences to his family.

Turned out the corporation knew nothing about this man and parking there had always been free. He apparently made thousands up through the years!

Some buzz :D....what a great innocent time,people are not so trusting & naive now;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

I think you've got the wrong end of what's referred to as an urban myth........... http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Urban-myth-Bristol-Zoo-parking-attendant/story-11266383-detail/story.html

archicraft wrote: »
    No I mean closer to peter street. High St, Peter St & Lady Lane generally run parallel then perpendicular to Henrietta St.Ive attached some pic’s below. Pic.1 illustrates where the front entrance of city square is now, pic.2 illustrates the area just inside the rear entrance & pic.3 is an aerial view of the site during early construction.

@ finnbar01

Brilliant pics, my father worked on the center and when he moved house, he lost some of the photos he took, he'll be delighted to see these.

I cant wait to show my mum the little railing she drove into!!!

I remember everywhere in the pics but I had the position in relation to the river wrong.

I forgot that the Wimpy was the old building, it was never touched. I think Finns camera/ computer shop was down Peter St.

I think I swa a pic of old Peter St on Facebook. I'll have a root. I think someone said it was taken where the Customer Service Desk in Dunnes is now!

HA!!! The FF billboard!

cbl593h wrote: »
    I think you've got the wrong end of what's referred to as an urban myth........... http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Urban-myth-Bristol-Zoo-parking-attendant/story-11266383-detail/story.html

I knew it was a joke and you shouldn't have called me out on it so soon.

Sometimes the responses to these urban myths/jokes can be the funniest.

More pics of the area here:

https://www.facebook.com/oldwaterford

64682_4086147071810_1257745316_n.jpg

Does anyone know the make and model of the brown tofee/browish coloured car in the pic above, the one going from left to right and in the centre of the pic?

Austin Maxi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭webpal

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I distinctly remember a cafe as a kid in what now is the extreme left hand side of AIB on the quay beside Kelly's, this was a small separate building until AIB bought it and extended into it, remember a big coffee machine belching steam as a small child, can anyone name it or am I inventing it?

Pretty sure the one you are on about is The Coffee dock but it was further down the block. Also on that block was Jonathan Menswear, The Midget, Kavanaghs bar, Ryan's Dry Cleaners and Farrell Travel.

Paddy Flynn was forty coats name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Could already be mentioned but remember "The Valley" between ballybeg and larchville??

When you are small it was like been in middle earth except for rats lol

God yeah i remember the valley we used to be over there all the time and its where we went on the duck from school many a time. Those were the days eh.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Does anyone know the make and model of the brown tofee/browish coloured car in the pic above, the one going from left to right and in the centre of the pic?

It's a Austin 1100,the Maxi was a bigger car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭webpal

webpal wrote: »
    Pretty sure the one you are on about is The Coffee dock but it was further down the block. Also on that block was Jonathan Menswear, The Midget, Kavanaghs bar, Ryan's Dry Cleaners and Farrell Travel.

Paddy Flynn was forty coats name.

And if memory serves me right, before the dry cleaners and the coffee dock, there was a shop called treasures and pleasures there.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

I think it's either an Austin or Morris 1100 or 1300
    car.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

things that used to be in Waterford......... jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

I remember when women wore shawls. Like blankets over the shoulders and sometimes the head too. All weather gear really.:)

Godsentme wrote: »
    I remember when women wore shawls. Like blankets over the shoulders and sometimes the head too. All weather gear really.:)
    Like these Waterford Ladies.........

Am i dreaming or was there a shop called An Siopa just to the left of the park (where the garage is now) run by one or two old ladies who used to speak Irish?? Anyone else remember this, I think they used to just sell sweets, bread and milk, it was a small enough shop..
    Yup! A great place to be taken, while on a Sunday afternoon at the park, for ice cream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Run by 3 sisters from Cork as far as I remember - Alice, Queenie and cant remember the 3rd ones name - all 3 mad as a bag of ferrets

Advertisement