Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Was that in O'Connell St. ?

Yes, I believe it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone remember mcgintys pub where lidl on the tramore road is now ??.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

dignity:D and I don't mean the bar;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Wilsons on barrack Street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Fitzmaurice's in town, especially the toy section in the 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Nite Klub

Billy Boyce's
    The Barracks in Newport Square
    Alice and her sister in The Park Shop
    The Infirmary A&E Dept.
    Delacatos Arcade next to the chip shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Anyone remember mcgintys pub where lidl on the tramore road is now ??.

Was that not down a bit further where smyths and all those are now. I know it is basically the same area I'm just asking as I'm not too sure if I'm on about the same one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

obezyana wrote: »
    Was that not down a bit further where smyths and all those are now. I know it is basically the same area I'm just asking as I'm not too sure if I'm on about the same one.

that would be correct

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    that would be correct

Cheers I remember being in there when they were auctioning stuff belong to the bar. Wasnt it part of a hotel or something.

obezyana wrote: »
    Cheers I remember being in there when they were auctioning stuff belong to the bar. Wasnt it part of a hotel or something.

hotel wasnt it?

• Advertisement

hotel wasnt it?

Yeah I seem to recall it being a small hotel. The day of the auction the place was swarmed with people looking to buy what they could for as cheap as possible, kind of sad in a way that a business cant survive and ends up being stripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Was it a hotel of sorts? I don't remember that, one of my friends used to work there as a bar man so we would pop in to him for a pint now and then. Never copped the hotel part :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

The Ivory Lodge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, I remember going out to see the ivory lodge being 'built'. It came in kit from and my father was dying to see how it was put together. Thinking back it was really just timer framed.

I did a few Guinness promotions out there, the staff were lovely, but if say it was only open led than 5 years in all.

The Ivory Lodge

Thats the one. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

The post office at the corner of Alphonsus Road with the scary woman with grey hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Does anyone remember the garage that used to be on Parnell Street where the Bank of Ireland is now located, alongside St. Joseph's School? I can't remember the name of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Does anyone remember a fella called Billy Womble selling fireworks down the apple market in the run up to Halloween? You'd go up to him, give him your money and he'd meet you down spring garden ally to give you the fireworks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

Does anyone remember a fella called Billy Womble selling fireworks down the apple market in the run up to Halloween? You'd go up to him, give him your money and he'd meet you down spring garden ally to give you the fireworks.

Is that Billy the Womble who ran the martial arts gym up in the old jute factory ?

Is that Billy the Womble who ran the martial arts gym up in the old jute factory ?

Don't think so. This lad was from Dublin. Had an old brown leather jacket that he used to hide the fireworks in.

• Advertisement

Don't think so. This lad was from Dublin. Had an old brown leather jacket that he used to hide the fireworks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

Different lad by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I remember the great Christmas window displays in Kavanaghs Electrical on Parnell St!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Hearing The Royal Showband rehearsing in The Olympia through an open window in the Tech. Off topic I know but I wonder if anyone else remembers.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

Anyone remember a trailer all done up for Christmas with a fella dressed up as Santa inside blaring Christmas music and giving out lollipops, he was towed around all the housing estates years ago. Used to be great craic as the whole street would be out on the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

I remember the great Christmas window displays in Kavanaghs Electrical on Parnell St!

I remember teenage lads queuing up for an apprenticeship in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

a bit of my childhood died last week when Xtra Vision ballybricken (and all the others) closed down. Used to love going in there and browsing through all the dvds/games etc.

Its sad to say we only have 1 major DVD store in Waterford City (CEX and Rainbow records are 2nd hand stores and wud not sell the latest titles).

was there ever a reason why HMV/Virgin Megastore never moved to Waterford City ??

was there ever a reason why HMV/Virgin Megastore never moved to Waterford City ??

abviously not viable for them. id say it wont be too long and golden disks will be gone as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

By the time it got around to considering Waterford, the city had broadband? Most of those types of shops would only be viable in cities with larger populations than Waterford. Even stuff like Spotify is competing with the old retail model.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

abviously not viable for them. id say it wont be too long and golden disks will be gone as well

I'm surprised there is any record stores open these days. I'm one of those who have stopped buying albums in a shop. It is something I used to do every week now I just download. For me it was a price issue, why buy an album in a shop for 17quid when it can be got online for half that or even free if you felt that mean not to buy :)

Advertisement