Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

obezyana wrote: »
    I'm surprised there is any record stores open these days. I'm one of those who have stopped buying albums in a shop. It is something I used to do every week now I just download. For me it was a price issue, why buy an album in a shop for 17quid when it can be got online for half that or even free if you felt that mean not to buy :)

unfortunately, most people are get screwed in this game including the artist and this isnt changing at all in fact i think it could be getting worse as it sounds like artists are getting completely screwed with streaming services. its a nasty ould industry like a lot of others

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

PTH2009 wrote: »
    was there ever a reason why HMV/Virgin Megastore never moved to Waterford City ??
    Could always open a Tower Records, they're an Irish-owned chain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Could always open a Tower Records, they're an Irish-owned chain now.

May as well open a Garden Decking shop while you're at it

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

its amazing that console games have not been effected with piracy. game prices are horrendus

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its amazing that console games have not been effected with piracy. game prices are horrendus

sounds like the latest consoles are very difficult to chip but im sure, wheres theres a will, theres a way;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Prices are nuts alright. I gave up buying new games on release as they just ain't worth the price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

XtraVision were selling a PS3 game a few year back for €75.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

some great memories here, makes for great reading.
    Some of mine, I'd say they have been mentioned here already but sure..

Coffee in Egans with a few of us every Saturday afternoon, I was in my 'youth drama' phase (Waterford Youth Drama, Garter Lane)

Also in Egans, Flo Motion nightclub, I always saw it as a more left field club, for reasons such as playing Leftfield a lot :D

Lunch special at the Gourmet (and none of us were fat f**ks)

Breens of course, those early days, we had our graduation night out there also, some memories.

Meeting for pints on the day of getting our Leaving Cert results (upstairs in the pub that became part of Merlins nightclub, can't think of the name now)

Manners Restaurant, used to be where Loughman's was...don't know what is there now, I'm not around Waterford much anymore.

Not in the city but the playground in Tramore, pay in once and you have all day in there, all the mothers would be sitting around smoking fags and reading and the kids having a ball.

Cheers Nightclub, before it became the Roxy, was always afraid of getting a beating in there. That was always the risk of loving rave music..the dodgy element that goes with it.

Carl Cox playing in the Metroland...what a venue when it was done up...only to be closed down shortly after :(

Picking out a toy for my birthday in Fitzmaurice's Toymaster, place seemed like an Aladdin's Cave for kids.

Not in the city either but heading out to check out the Kilmeaden Bike show each summer, we were only kids but we saw stuff we probably shouldn't have seen :eek:

Our PE teacher introducing rugby for PE, he had to stop it after 20 minutes because of lads being busted all over the place, never to be tried again.

Getting a few digs in Sully's (in beside/behind the Wimpy)..all for 10p. A few years later playing snooker upstairs on a Friday night with the older brother and a mate of his...few sneaky cans in a bag too.

The Beat on the Street when Electric Eddie had stones thrown at him.

Cycling out to Tramore on a scorching summer's day and cycling back in the evening...exhausted.

The old man picking up Rocky IV in Cross Lane video for us after reserving it. I also remembering seeing the Bose Acoustimass speakers for the first time in there, thought this was it, we've reached our technological peak as mankind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The TV channel on the old cable link/ntl with the info on business/attractions in Waterford and that played all the power ballads over them/they also played the sound of the eurovision on it when it was on . Wlr produced a programme on it called Waterford@8

Childhood memories

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Something that used to be in Waterford and is now making its way back.

sJ6Zg36.jpg

Both side aren't actually attached to the base yet, if you're thinking it looks a bit odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

Rocket clothes shop in Arundel Lane. Used to sell all the rave clothes, joe bloggs, xworks and eclipse jeans etc. Also sold rave tapes under the counter. Some spot.

Leahys cake shop on Mayors Walk. Sold some lovely cakes.

Jack Ts snooker club down by the bridge hotel. Good place to go for a few frames.

KG Discs in the broad steet shopping centre.

Not exactly gone that long but BPM records was the last great music shop in Waterford. They had a great selection of music from all genres. Also sold records for anyone interested in dance music/djing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

JohnC. wrote: »
    Something that used to be in Waterford and is now making its way back.

sJ6Zg36.jpg

Both side aren't actually attached to the base yet, if you're thinking it looks a bit odd.

Good pic John c, do I remember right that there was an arch at highest point of bridge curve?
    Could be thinking of different bridge...great to see it going back in,

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Max Powers wrote: »
    Good pic John c, do I remember right that there was an arch at highest point of bridge curve?
    Could be thinking of different bridge...great to see it going back in,

Sorry, not the greatest of pictures, I pulled it from google images, but yeah, you are spot on.

Screen_Shot_2017-05-06_at_19.37.37.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

some great memories here, makes for great reading.

Meeting for pints on the day of getting our Leaving Cert results (upstairs in the pub that became part of Merlins nightclub, can't think of the name now)

Some memories there in that post for me too! I think the pub your on about was called Peigs? Or was it called something else after that before it was Merlins?

Edit: it was called The Trap I believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I remember the gaming arcades.

You had:

The savoy. (Supermacs)
    Pot black (Ruby's nightclub)
    Franks( By An Siopa, I think)

There was another down by the City square (I think it was called Sully's) And another one on John's Street across the road from The woodman and down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Rocket clothes shop in Arundel Lane. Used to sell all the rave clothes, joe bloggs, xworks and eclipse jeans etc. Also sold rave tapes under the counter. Some spot.

I remember Rocket well but forgot they sold the rave tapes think i might still have a few in the attic :D ,i also remember another rave clothes shop i dont know if it was before or after rocket but "boulevard of broken dreams" next to the post office on Barracks Street it wasnt opened too long if i remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭goochy

jobs !

I remember Rocket well but forgot they sold the rave tapes think i might still have a few in the attic :D ,i also remember another rave clothes shop i dont know if it was before or after rocket but "boulevard of broken dreams" next to the post office on Barracks Street it wasnt opened too long if i remember correctly

Yeah they sold rave tapes such as Fantasia and Thunderdome. Old Skool rave stuff. Don't remember the shop on Barrack Street but there was another one in Tesco Lisduggan think it was New Image but could be wrong on the name.

Sold all the 90s rave clothes and a lot of American Football stuff which was big such as Raiders, Redskins hats and jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Rocket clothes...that's a good one...champion ends anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Graves where the 'top station' is opppsite the park for all your builder providers needs

'Siopa an Pairc' run by two middle aged female Kerry immigrants, again opposite park. They liked to use their ' cupla focail'

Richard Finn's computer and camera shop . Over by Peter st prior to construction of city square and then moved to michael st where that 'enable shop' is today

'The loft' furniture shop where 'kazbah' is now (open to correction)

The 'golden crumb' bakery and confectionary shop again close to where richard finns shop was in the pre city square days on the old Peter st.

L and N supermarket on broad street. Again pre broad st center.

RP Games, used to sell mainly 2nd hand video games/consoles and also hobby stuff like model aeroplanes.

The man that used to drive around housing estates selling cream buns and videos to rent from his van.

Another man that used to sell bottles of lemonade from his van. Used to do a lovely pineapple flavoured one. Came in glass bottles that you had to return back to him the next time he was around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The man that used to drive around housing estates selling cream buns and videos to rent from his van.

Another man that used to sell bottles of lemonade from his van. Used to do a lovely pineapple flavoured one. Came in glass bottles that you had to return back to him the next time he was around.

I remember a fella renting videos from a van and he had all the blues on the top shelf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Finnbar01 wrote: »

You had:

The savoy. (Supermacs)
    Pot black (Ruby's nightclub)
    Franks( By An Siopa, I think)

There was another down by the City square (I think it was called Sully's) And another one on John's Street across the road from The woodman and down a bit.

You are correct about sullys :)
    Franks was actually where the Kasbah is now :)
    The one down across from the woodman was called Jackpot and in earlier times was attached to delacatas (not sure of spelling) chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Nite Klub

haha some great shouts in here.

Billy Boyces shop opposite Greers. When I was about 7 he sold me a pair of runners that were about 4 sizes to big for me, said I'd grow into them. They were like ski's. My mother had to take them back.

The Park Shop was Alice and her sister, can't remember her name, Mary maybe.

Mrs Heggartys shop on Lower Newtown / Water Street.

Sean McGee's Shop on Roches Street.

Kitty Gores on Wilkin Street

Rare auld times. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There were three ladies in the Park Shop
    Queenie, Alice & Margaret

and Alice shouting out

"cream buns, doughnuts with jam in the middle"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Finnbar01 wrote: »

You had:

The savoy. (Supermacs)
    Thought that the Book Centre is where the Savoy (and the later arcade) was. SuperMacs is where the old Irish Independent office/shop used to be?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

jmcc wrote: »
    Thought that the Book Centre is where the Savoy (and the later arcade) was. SuperMacs is where the old Irish Independent office/shop used to be?

Regards...jmcc

Other way around. Supermacs was the front of the Savoy and the front of The Book Centre was the Irish Independent place. Obviously, The Book Centre goes back into the Savoy now.

large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

This might help :D

serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fphotos.cinematreasures.org%2Fproduction%2Fphotos%2F164075%2F1459852944%2Flarge.jpg%3F1459852944&sp=ced5c4fb5db5375ce8896807e48f2ad3

EDIT:

See I was slow in posting the pic :D:D

Advertisement