Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sully wrote: »
    Iv a poor memory for this.. A small few of the top of my head;
    - Computer Store in Georges Court,
    Teleport.
    - Not sure if its still there but a small electronic store beside the Hyper.
    Toners.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

jmcc wrote: »
    Teleport.
    I still have an old PC game I got from there, Eye of the Beholder (on 3 1/2 inch disks). Great game back in its day. :D

Actually I have a whole load of old PC games at home somewhere in my old room in a press that I used to run on my Twinhead 286 PC with it's 1 Meg of RAM on a 40 Meg Harddrive.

I wish I kept my old Commodore 64 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Found my one recently, she even loaded up the old tapes!!! Turrican 2 and Paperboy, they just dont make 'em like that anymore :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hongkongbutler

bit late!

Burtons
    The Waterford Tramore railway
    WElshs on the manor (the post office)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kahless wrote: »
    The computer shop inside Georges Court was Teleport, not Compustore, which was the one beside Lifestyle. The Man Utd. shop was beside T&H Doolans rather than Egans and the pub eventually extended into where the shop was.
    Feck I knew that. Why did I read upstairs in the book center...I musta been tired:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I still have an old PC game I got from there, Eye of the Beholder (on 3 1/2 inch disks). Great game back in its day. :D

Actually I have a whole load of old PC games at home somewhere in my old room in a press that I used to run on my Twinhead 286 PC with it's 1 Meg of RAM on a 40 Meg Harddrive.

If you're feeling nostalgic, you can download a C64 emulator on the internet. You can also download games for them.

My dad bought me an Oric Atmos in Strand Electric. Heap of sh*te, but still had fun with the games. Last year, I got an emulator and some of the games. Brought back some great memories I tell ya! The games even had similar 'load' screens for effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

seanybiker wrote: »
    Oh and santa used to be rob stuff in shaws.

Fixed that for ya Seanie!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

flyers roller skate disco in o'connel street.
    does anyone remeber the carnival up the lawn in lisduggan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It wasn't Strand Electric. There was a smaller video library on the left of John St after the Manor going up to Geoffs circa mid '80s. Upstairs in one of the buildings. It was before Heery's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Wasnt it Soundwaves or something like that before it was strand electric (and originally down opposite egans in the early - mid 80's). You are not thinking of crosslane video are you ?

• Advertisement

Naw - this was one of those small terraced buildings on the way up to Heerys and Strand Electric. It was upstairs and was one small room with VHS videos on the wall circa '85/'86. It's not Sinnotts either! There was another video library back down at the corner a few years later - different one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I think that was Strand. (pretty sure since I think I still have turtles robbed from there with the sticker on it hehe)
    Then they moved downstairs and an actual strand electronics part took the space upstairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 starlightp21

yea,
    flowmotion was the big one.
    anyone remember the portlairge dredger down by scotch quay? (before the new adelphi quay was built)
    or when bell lines were working over in ferrybank?
    i could go on all day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

did anyone mention waterford glass

or is that still a sore point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 starlightp21

the glass was mentioned earlier, colm.
    they didn't mention the glass when they went on strike.
    does anyone remember that?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

the glass was mentioned earlier, colm.
    they didn't mention the glass when they went on strike.
    does anyone remember that?
    around the time of the world cup in 1990

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Nolanger wrote: »
    It wasn't Strand Electric. There was a smaller video library on the left of John St after the Manor going up to Geoffs circa mid '80s. Upstairs in one of the buildings. It was before Heery's.

Think it was called Bernie's video shop.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 misnomer

any one remember drinking in the grannery on o'connell street, they had a christmas tree up nearly all year once. used to go in a friday night once i'd
    finished watching zig and zag and completed my home work of course
    also vanilla slices from harneys bakery yummy :D

What was the name of the video library on Barrack Street in the late '80s. Was also a taxi shop and was painted blue. Only opened in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whittler

shots used to be pound on certain nights in the granary if i remember right....mondays i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whittler

is the mass path still across from the pres???, minnie hopper caught us many a time havin a quick smoke down there!!!

What was the name of the record shop after TH Doolans circa '83? Some guy who used to work in Sinnotts ran it. Very small place with mainly AOR vinyl on either side of the shop. Could barely get about 10 people into the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Think the record shop was Patsy Ryan's cant remember if there was a name on it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

viking river tours.
    what was the name of the shop next door to the candy store in the 80s?
    abbotts shop down by the sacred heart church.

oh and ye what was the name of the grocery shop down where sinnfein is now,it was a shop in the 80s,also the shop opposite the de la salle centre,what was it called and why did the de la salle centre close down?any1 know?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

anplaya wrote: »
    oh and ye what was the name of the grocery shop down where sinnfein is now,it was a shop in the 80s,also the shop opposite the de la salle centre,what was it called and why did the de la salle centre close down?any1 know?

The De La Salle Centre sold the building to KRM for the Newgate Centre to fund their development in Gracedieu afaik or someone bought it in auction and then sold it on to make a quick buck.

The shop across from it was O'Briens.

Odats wrote: »
    The De La Salle Centre sold the building to KRM for the Newgate Centre to fund their development in Gracedieu afaik or someone bought it in auction and then sold it on to make a quick buck.

The shop across from it was O'Briens.

ye its strange its just been left to fall apart .i have vivid memories of going into obriens as a child,me great grandmother lived in the houses across the road ,opposite the school,by the hill(knocked down and new places built there years ago).always used t think that shop was scary as fcuk as it was so dark in there

The smartest guys in my class in DLS used to be in Waterford but they all left years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Was it, Wacky Warriors paintball? Near the bridge and its apartments now if I ain't mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Johnny Hearn's ironmongers on the quay, that closed in very sad circumstances a short while ago. Over the years that was the one place you could find real, traditional ironmongery that the DIY superstores never stock, and where you could always bargain with Johnny and get a good deal. I can remember going in there thirty years ago for some obscure item, and the answer was always "Don't have one of them things, but I'll have it tomorrow!"

Advertisement