Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone tell me what this bank letter means?

Options
  • 10-03-2009 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

i sent a letter to my bank cancelling a direct debit, the next day the company i had cancelled with had debitted my account.i had cancelled with them two weeks previously and to be on the safe side wrote to the bank as well.my credit card was debitted on the 1st and this company debitted on the 3rd, because there wasn't enough funds at the time my payment to the credit card was returned and the debit i had cancelled was paid :mad:

i got the below letter but can someone explain what it means? I cant make out if its abbout the card payment or debit cancellation and how do i get my money back!ill be contacting them about getting the money back anyhow but hoping someone can clear up what this means cos ive no idea it means my credit card debit or the company debit has been cancelled and why it says in favour of aib customer support :confused: thanks for any help

Ref Direct Debit Instruction.

Dear Sir/ Madam,
    We refer to your previous correspondance in relation to your direct debit set up with aib customer support on your account.

We wish to advise that a third payment in favour of aib customer support has been returned unpaid due to insufficient funds being in your account at the time the direct debit was presented for payment.

Consequently we regret to inform you that this direct debit instruction in favour of aib customer support has now been cancelled and aib customer support has been advised accordingly.

If you require further information please contact us at the above number.

Yours sincerely,
    Unreadable signature

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Not meaning to be smart or anything, but have you tried 'contacting them at the above number for further information'.

To be honest, I'm not quiet sure what that letter means precisely. I'd probably need to be familiar with the original DD and the content of the letter that you originally sent them.

With regards to the letter you sent the bank to cancel the DD, you said you only sent it a day before the DD was process. Chances are the letter hadn't even been delivered, let alone opened and processed in time. I'm not sure of the exact turnaround times, but I do know you have to give a certain amount of notice to cancel a DD (a few days, maybe a week).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Mcfast

yes i have tried contacting them but the number is an 1890 which is blocked from my work and mobile so i tried them while i was at home.i wasnt at home for long and didnt manage to get through yet.i posted the letter through the letterbox of the bank at 5pm on the 2nd, not through an post.the company usually debits on the 7th.it was only a precaution in my mind as the company have been very unprofessional.

the letter that i sent them just said please cancel the direct debit to company x as i have cancelled my services with them.i have advised them of this also and have written confirmation of this,yours sincerely etc.

i dont have a debit to aib customer support and i have no idea why the letter says this,i thought it was to do with my cc payment being refunded but as it says ref direct debit i think its to do with the debit cancellation.

will it be hard getting the bank to return the money debitted to the company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

If you can't callhem at work or on your mobile, I'd go to your branch (during lunchtime perhaps). They can call Card services on your behalf, they may even be able to clarify it for you on the spot.

not a bad idea.i dont work near my branch but i could get to an aib branch.why do banks have to have 1890 contact numbers anyway!does anyone know if it will be possible to do a direct debit reversal?thanks for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

To be fair, two weeks is not a long time to tell a bank/company that you want to cancel a direct debit. They usually want at least a month.

• Advertisement

the letter is dated the day i sent it in,so they got to it quick enough.i cancelled the debit with the company 2 weeks before, they were due to debit on the 7th and i rang the bank on the 2nd just in case the company billed me regardless :mad: who told me to send it in writing.the email address bounced so i put it through the letterbox. the company then debitted on the 3rd.the phoneline advised me that it would be done immediately.

what i really want to know is what the letter means and how i get the money returned to me. i really dont think my bank should have unpaid my credit card to pay this when i had advised them it was no longer authorised to debit my account

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Mcfast wrote: »
    why do banks have to have 1890 contact numbers anyway!

Because they are low cost numbers, and available to a large number of the populations whose employers havent barred them, and mobiles allow them, that's why.

Some people even go to the lenght of getting the full direct dial number of their branch to get in contact - usually available from the company's website. Fancy that!.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I just can't help it.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

As Blackjack said regarding the 1890 number.

For the most part, they're actually considered a customer-friendly thing!

AIB Branch Locater(Including phone numbers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Mcfast wrote: »
    Ref Direct Debit Instruction.

Dear Sir/ Madam,
    We refer to your previous correspondance in relation to your direct debit set up with aib customer support on your account.

We wish to advise that a third payment in favour of aib customer support has been returned unpaid due to insufficient funds being in your account at the time the direct debit was presented for payment.

Consequently we regret to inform you that this direct debit instruction in favour of aib customer support has now been cancelled and aib customer support has been advised accordingly.

If you require further information please contact us at the above number.

Yours sincerely,
    Unreadable signature

It means that your direct debit instruction has been cancelled, by the bank, as it has bounced 3 times. This direct debit will no longer be presented for payment, and if you want it presented then you will have to set it up again.

While it does look like "aib customer support" is your credit card payment you would really need to check it out and be sure. You bank will be able to confirm this for you.

So its your credit card direct debit (we strongly suspect) not the other dd that you wrote the letter about. Far as I am aware they won't write to confirm the cancellation of the other dd, but you can ring them to check its done.

Advertisement