Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing setter methods - return void or boolean

Options
  • 10-03-2009 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick question. I'm doing a lot of practice on OOP at the moment, writing get and set methods etc..

So far for the set methods we (class) have been just returning void (nothing).. I'm just wondering would it be better if I was to return a boolean so we could use that in the main program e.g if(set) or if(!set)

Does this make any odds? I'm just wondering?

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on the language really. In Java for example, afaik the "correct" way to do it is to set the variable or throw an exception if it cannot be set (connection failure, invalid value, etc). In other languages where exception handling isn't quite so robust, a boolean return value may be more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

seamus wrote: »
    Depends on the language really. In Java for example, afaik the "correct" way to do it is to set the variable or throw an exception if it cannot be set (connection failure, invalid value, etc). In other languages where exception handling isn't quite so robust, a boolean return value may be more appropriate.

Ahh, I see.. Thats does sound like a better way of doing it, I am familiar with exceptions so I will use that method on any proper programs I am making.

My question came from PHP where they use a boolean..

Solved!

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

techguy wrote: »
    My question came from PHP where they use a boolean..
    My current speciality is PHP, so I was about to give your proposal the thumbs up, but then I remembered the Java model I learned in college. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Cool, I hope to have PHP, Java and C# as my main languages!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

general rule in Java: void for set, boolean for add or addAll (eg. add X to a collection)
    If in doubt, look at the API doc ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Set methods should be as simple as possible, setting the variable. You shouldn't be using set's to do anything too complicated as the implementation might be hidden and the user might not know about the complexity behind setName or something. You'd be better off using a more descriptive name.

You'll see this when it comes to C# and auto implemented properties, very handy for quickly building simple apps as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

As has been suggested, throw exceptions if the language supports it, otherwise return void if it's something simple, why would something not get set in a strongly typed language? No need to pepper your code with
    if(set(somevalue)) DoSomethingElse();

I guess for PHP it makes sense to return a boolean or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Malached

Gaaaaaaarrggh ...... True OOP .... Identity, State, Behaviour. Should be no setter/getters. However, in the real world, return what is appropriate. If you depend on a list of ****, return list[****] or empty list. If you return on something vital, throw exception or equivalent ...... etc. etc.

Advertisement