Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy has huge appetite

Options
  • 10-03-2009 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Folks

My situation at the moment our puppy we have she is a 13 week old shtzu king charles cross. Had all her injections wormed and flead regualr and up to date. But basically we have been feeding her on burns no problem with that great food for dogs and following the guidelines for feeding and feed amounts, ut she seems to be constantly hungry she wolfs down the burns and when ever we are cooking food or eating she constantly is begging and sniffing around for food. We dont feed her anything extra just her burns and maybe some doogie treats, but she seems so hungry all the time. Big appetite for a small dog breed and a puppy. If anyone can throw any light on the situation I would be grateful,

Thanks in Advance

Saprtan33

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

A ****zu king charles. That sounds so cool. Stick up a pic NOW!!! I demand it.
    I dont really know to be honest, maybe she is growing and just wants to munch on every thing she can get. Or maybe its just because she is, well a she lol.

PS. Dont forget the pic.
    PPS. I think you should give her away to em, I dunno, feck it, maybe me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

I would double check 2 things: that you are giving her the correct measure of Burns food, and the worming. I know you said it's up to date but maybe put in a call to the vet just in case. Also check her poos to be sure (yuck I know but it's pretty obvious if she has)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

I check her poos no sign of any worms, but the poos somtime altrant between being soft and hard. Trying to get a pic up of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Some pups are just hungry feckers and could eat all day. How many times a day are you feeding her? at the mo it should be 4 feeds.

I remember my pup would prob have eaten anything you put in front of him, all day, hes a rottie, but you need to restrict a puppies eating habits as you dont want them putting on weight too quick either,

Does she look in good condition? if so then she would be getting correct amount of food. Is it puppy food too?

We are feeding her the burns mini bites at the correct amount four times a day in line with the instructions on the side of the bag, she is in good health, very active and full of energy. I reckon if you put a big dinner in front of her she probably polish the lot, she would eat anything even her poop!!

• Advertisement

Got the pics up this is our puppy Daisy

daisykate-068.jpg

daisykate-037.jpg

daisykate-056.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Harris wrote: »
    Also check her poos to be sure (yuck I know but it's pretty obvious if she has)
    Shes very cute Spartan! I agree with above..gross i know but you can tell alot from an animals faeces. It sounds like you're feeding her adequately and she may just have a voracious appetite. But, yes check worm dose and consistency of her poo. There could be underlying malabsorption issues, whereby she cant absorb nutrients properly from food but this would be accompanied by weight loss and diarrohea. Its a possibilty but has to be diagnosed by a vet.

She is cute im biased though, for smething so small she has the appetite of a horse, how would I know he she is not absorbing the food properly? I know you mentioned maybe vomiting or diarohhea, but at the moment she doesnt show these signs.

SPARTAN33 wrote: »
    She is cute im biased though, for smething so small she has the appetite of a horse, how would I know he she is not absorbing the food properly? I know you mentioned maybe vomiting or diarohhea, but at the moment she doesnt show these signs.

If she wasnt absorbing her food properly she would have very light coloured runny poo (called steatorrhea) and she'd be skinny. As she isnt showing any of these symptoms then i wouldnt worry too much, she just sounds like one hungry puppy. Keep to your routine, dont let her beg or give in to the begging and hoepfully she'll learn what she gets at mealtimes is all shes getting. If worried of course head off to the vet!

she is gorgeous. If it costs to much to feed her ill take her off ya.

• Advertisement

Ha ha god loves atrier Seanyboker..you're persistant anyway!:D

I will have to keeper a closer eye on her, and maybe bring her to the vets if it persists, becasue now you mention it smetimes she has oily filmed poos, but its not diarrohea, so that might be it, like what you described Anniehoo.

Seanybiker trying to poach me dog, that waterford ot are crafty, lol :D

SPARTAN33 wrote: »
    Seanybiker trying to poach me dog, that waterford ot are crafty, lol :D

Ah well as anniehoo said, god loves a trier.

ya didnt say no though lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

cute puppy and lovely pics

Advertisement