Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to USA

Options
  • 10-03-2009 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

Just wondering where would be the most suitable place in the USA for a couple to move to?
    We are looking for somewhere with good weather all year round, relatively inexpensive properties, good small city community atmos & potential employment.
    Somewhere near a decent NFL team would be good too.

Any suggestions? is it hard to get a visa?

KKS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

Malaga

• Registered Users Posts: 82,918 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Easier to get a visa if you have an employer (or two) to back you. as far as suitable places? Christ :p take your pick! Just about every state has spots with great weather cycles and a football team to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

I’d suggest in your search that you take a look at suburban areas that lay beyond metropolitan zones in Texas, like the Dallas/Fort Worth area. (but I’m no fan of the Dallas Cowboys)

Pale Irish skin probably wouldnt last very long in Texas. It very frequently reaches annual highs of 105+ degrees F.

Actually I'd always wondered what Montana was like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

I was in San Diego last summer, great climate with it not been too hot, chargers are the local team, might be a bit expensive though..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Even though I despise the Cardinals you could try suburban Phoenix although the Heat also gets unbearable there in the Summer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Actually I'd always wondered what Montana was like

Pretty nice, in the summer. I visited Great Falls.
    However, I'm not courageous enough to visit in the winter.

The problem is that the 'good year-round weather' and 'easy employment' bits don't really go hand-in-hand with 'inexpensive.' California coast's a case in point.

NTM

Wouldnt that factor into Local Economy and Cost of Living? Once you can afford to break yourself in to California say, wouldn't it be relatively simple to stick around?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

California has a temperate climate year round, except in the deserts or mountains. The immediate problem is the Great Recession, with unemployment exceeding 10 percent and rising.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, if you are serious about living in the States and working here, it's best to get a job first, before making the move. But you may have to wait until the economy improves. Perhaps you could first come as a tourist, explore where you would like to live, as well as interview for jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 donegal1

Of course it's subjective, it depends what type of job etc,

I like California. San Diego, LA and San Francisco are all great, but I prefer San Francisco Bay Area.

SF East Bay is prob most affordable (e.g. Hayward, Milpitas, Fremont, Union City) with several big companies and Silicon Valley nearby. If you move more east there are some nice towns like Pleasanton.

• Advertisement

At the moment though California is taking the largest per capita hit from this current economy.

Advertisement