Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryanair abolish check-in desks and increase costs for hand luggage passengers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭lynchie

conolan wrote: »
    http://www.ryanair.com/site/IE/news.php?yr=09&month=mar&story=gen-en-100309

By all means abolish check-in desks. BUT DON'T slam us all with a sneaky increase too.

Hmmm... will be interesting to see how this plays out.. Says the only forms of id will be national id card and passport. So anybody travelling from Dub - Cork / Kerry will need to carry passport with them.

Also, I assume they will move the other restrictions such as not allowing groups of > 9 passengers to use online checkin and also those whose passports expire < 30 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

conolan wrote: »
    http://www.ryanair.com/site/IE/news.php?yr=09&month=mar&story=gen-en-100309

By all means abolish check-in desks. BUT DON'T slam us all with a sneaky increase too.

+1
    Quote from site
    The web check-in fee of £5/€5 per person, per flight will apply to all new bookings (except promotional fares) from 1st May 2009.

This is a disgrace to have a charge that you can not avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭yan

ROVER wrote: »
    +1
    Quote from site
    The web check-in fee of £5/€5 per person, per flight will apply to all new bookings (except promotional fares) from 1st May 2009.

lets see what is next....

the guy is a JOKE !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

Its stunts like this that have stopped me from using Ryanair since 2001.
    I would rather be locked in a room with serial rapists than fly with them ever again.
    When will people learn that flying Ryanair is not as cheap as the ads make it out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

At the moment, if you have a checked-in bag, you have to check-in at a desk and there is a charge for this. It's not actually going to cost you any more, or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

At the moment, if you have a checked-in bag, you have to check-in at a desk and there is a charge for this. It's not actually going to cost you any more, or am I missing something?

Maybe not if you are checking in a bag. But if you are going to carry a bag on board you now have to pay €5 per flight for online checkin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Never flying them again if I can avoid it, regardless of the cost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I've opted to pay €200 more for the family holiday to fly with Aer lingus rather than this shower. The announcement last week that O'Leary was going to start charging for using the Jacks really takes the Piss ( Excuse the Pun)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It doesn't say anywhere that the checked bag charge is going away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

jhegarty wrote: »
    It doesn't say anywhere that the checked bag charge is going away.

Would Michael abolish a charge? HARDLY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

sorry, I only saw phase 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

It's really badly worded, but it might be taken to read that the €5 check in fee applies to those who check in online AND have a bag to check in. Not those who are checking in with only hand luggage.

Ambiguous is too kind a description for that piece of prose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

O'Leary admitted that the toilet thing was just a cheap publicity stunt.

Anyway, I'd just like to add the standard Ryanair are a shower of **************************, Aer Lingus much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 connellc

In the past Ryanair have defended their charges saying they were optional and could be avoided. That won't be the case anymore if the only way you can checkin is online and you have to pay €5 for it.

So could we have a consumer rights case here? They are selling you a product you can't use without paying an additional fee. That online checkin fee should be included in the cost of the flight.

What other product can you buy that you can't use without paying more to the supplier?

I'm sure someone will point some out but I can't think of one.

It's really badly worded, but it might be taken to read that the €5 check in fee applies to those who check in online AND have a bag to check in. Not those who are checking in with only hand luggage.

Ambiguous is too kind a description for that piece of prose!

Don't think so.

Ryanair: The web check-in fee of £5/€5 per person, per flight will apply to all new bookings (except promotional fares) from 1st May 2009.

Promotional fares being the €5, €10 specials (ie anything advertised due to restrictions on advertising fares that are not the full fare)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Bad n' all as they are, I would be surprised if they added €5 online check in fee to passengers with no checked bags, the 'free online checkin' thing has been working quite well for them.

Dare I say it, in light of recent developments, perhaps the balance of power is shifting away from low cost carriers and back to real airlines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Is Ryanair really cheap anymore outside of their €1 and €5 offers?

I have flown the last 4 times cheaper on other airlines than Ryanair. Im flying to LHR from Cork on Aer Lingus cheaper with bags than Ryanair is without bags on the same dates of travel and Aer Lingus will transfer my bags through to Singapore Airlines.

Will Ryanair? Not on your nelly.

Ryanair is a bus and we all know the bus's arent cheap anymore and neither is Ryanair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

connellc wrote: »
    In the past Ryanair have defended their charges saying they were optional and could be avoided. That won't be the case anymore if the only way you can checkin is online and you have to pay €5 for it.

So could we have a consumer rights case here? They are selling you a product you can't use without paying an additional fee. That online checkin fee should be included in the cost of the flight.

What other product can you buy that you can't use without paying more to the supplier?

I was thinking similarly when they introduced EU / non-EU division which was a clear case of discrimination. I raised this issue with some consumer protection authorities and they said the fee would be refunded on application. Honestly, I don't know if this refund policy was implemented from the very beginning or in response to numerous complaints. Hoping for similar now if the public outcry will be big enough. When I first read it in Metro this morning, I thought it's a typo or something but now I see it's rather typical :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

connellc wrote: »

A ticket. You won't be getting it without paying Ticketmaster's booking fee which is per ticket. Should be just included in the price of the ticket, no faffing around.

Back on topic. Ryanair sacks the lovely Julia's and Jurata's at its many airport check-in desk's. Replaces with Pavel and Ramon at the bag drop counter. They save money so they can bring you even lower fares.:rolleyes:Ryanair charges you €5 to lift your own bag onto the plane. Ryanair wins.

I'll still fly them though. Mind you I've also noticed if you don't get a bargain €1-15 flight then its often well worth your while checking out Aer Lingus, especially if going to London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

ROVER wrote: »

Absolutely. Its not as if checking-in is an optional extra. This charge should be reflected in the advertised price.

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    Is Ryanair really cheap anymore outside of their €1 and €5 offers?

I have flown the last 4 times cheaper on other airlines than Ryanair. Im flying to LHR from Cork on Aer Lingus cheaper with bags than Ryanair is without bags on the same dates of travel and Aer Lingus will transfer my bags through to Singapore Airlines.

Will Ryanair? Not on your nelly.

Ryanair is a bus and we all know the bus's arent cheap anymore and neither is Ryanair.

There were a few threads about ryanair a while back, a lot of people defending them fiercely, arguments went along the lines of "they can treat the passengers how they like because they are so cheap".
    They are cheap only if you book well in advance and the ticket is not refundable and non-changeable.
    To be honest there has never been a time when it has suited me to book so far in advance, usually I find them only marginally cheaper than the next competitor at best. And with ryanairs deteriorating customer service I might not bother even price checking their flights in future.

O'Leary admitted that the toilet thing was just a cheap publicity stunt.

Anyway, I'd just like to add the standard Ryanair are a shower of **************************, Aer Lingus aren't much better.

Fixed that.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Aer Lingus, but they are nothing to boast about either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

I would happily queue to keep a fellow man/women in a job.Whats going to happen to all the check-in workers?

Be no one working in supermarkets/petrol stations etc in a while besides security, I dont like this.

Interesting to see this morning which newspapers jsut reprint the press release and which cover the story.

Press release: Irish Times, Guardian
    Story: Irish indo, Daily Mail, Times (London)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I don't get people's point about aer lingus being better! They are pretty much the same now. Aer lingus have just been a few months behind ryanair in introducing pretty much every charge ryanair have introduced first into the market.

Advertising rules need to change regarding this. They should be allowed to claim that they are offering flight for 0, 5 , 200€ but they should also be forced to give just as much or more space on the ad for the minimum price that it is possible to book that flight at which includes all extra unavoidable costs. Then we can compare like with like because for some reason costs that should be the same are often quite different (such as airport taxes and charges!).

I've priced Lufthanza cheaper than Aer Lingus and Ryanair at times for trips to Ireland (that involves 2 flights with Lufthanza or 1 with Aer Lingus/Ryanair + a train or car journey) so they're not always as cheap as people think anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Agreed about the advert rules.

Regarding Ryanair, that airline has given me the privilege of taking weekends away to London, Manchester, Glasgow, and Amsterdam for prices that are cheaper than a train ticket from Limerick to Dublin, until I find an even competitor I am sticking with Ryanair, and I think I speak for alot of people when I say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm never flying with Ryanair again. F*ck them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

wylo wrote: »
    Agreed about the advert rules.

Regarding Ryanair, that airline has given me the privilege of taking weekends away to London, Manchester, Glasgow, and Amsterdam for prices that are cheaper than a train ticket from Limerick to Dublin, until I find an even competitor I am sticking with Ryanair, and I think I speak for alot of people when I say that.

Exactly. I agree they should have to advertise the charge as part of the fare, but it is still cheaper for me to fly with them than anyone else, and I thank them for having gotten me on 9 holidays in the past year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It is currently something along these lines:
    online checkin, 0 bags - free
    airport checkin, 0 bags (because of kid or non EU passport) - €5
    airport checkin, + bags - €5 + €10 per bag

It will now become:
    online checkin, 0 bags - ???
    online checkin, + bags - €5 + €10 per bag

The only change is if they decide to yet again start charging for no bags and online checkin.

When they very first started the on-line checkin it was free during the trials at some airports. They then decided to start charging for it as a "luxury" service when they brought it in across all airports. People stopped bothering to use the on-line checkin and queued at the airport again. They then switched it to charging for the airport checkin and free for on-line once again.

All they need to clarify now is if 0 bags and EU passport still means no additional charge or not. There is no change to the charges if you have bags though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Ryanair are a shower of cnuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

Can't believe they charge 30euro a bag.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They don't charge 30 a bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

hi all!
    are ryanair very anal when it comes to the size of the cabin baggage allowance?
    their dimensions seem to be very small!!!
    55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
    what have you been using of late?
    What about the smallest bag out of the 3 when you buy a set of suitcases(the one designed for cabin baggage!)?
    Or are they just trying to deter the 5 bag lady on the plane?
    slan
    j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭John_Mc

hi all!
    are ryanair very anal when it comes to the size of the cabin baggage allowance?
    their dimensions seem to be very small!!!
    55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
    what have you been using of late?
    What about the smallest bag out of the 3 when you buy a set of suitcases(the one designed for cabin baggage!)?
    Or are they just trying to deter the 5 bag lady on the plane?
    slan
    j

No, they're trying to make as much money as possible. So whatever you do, ensure that your bag is within the limits they specify both in dimensions and in weight. If you don't, expect to pay extortionate extra fees :rolleyes:

Advertisement