Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machida for a title shot?

Options
  • 10-03-2009 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

Rumours abound that Rampage has a hand injury from his fight with Jardine and that Lyoto will be offered the spot.

I have been waiting for Machida to get his title shot. Hope this happens if i am honest.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

"Hand injury" :p

Heard that earlier. Rashad said he's expecting to fight Machida in May. IMO Machida beats both Rashad or Rampage so this should be interesting.

Heard that earlier. Rashad said he's expecting to fight Machida in May. IMO Machida beats both Rashad or Rampage so this should be interesting.

Rampage had his troubles at the last UFC against someone who uses elements of Machida's game. So Im totally with you on this.

rovert wrote: »
    Rampage had his troubles at the last UFC against someone who uses elements of Machida's game. So Im totally with you on this.

To be perfectly honest, I feel the UFC have put off Machida as long as they could but he kept winning and they can't ignore that. They may have felt his style is boring, I personally find it incredibly interesting though I did used to complain that he didn't open up enough (which is no longer a complaint).

So now IMO, once he gets the belt he's gonna hold it for a good while because I don't see anyone in the UFC with the toolkit required to beat him at LHW.

To be perfectly honest, I feel the UFC have put off Machida as long as they could but he kept winning and they can't ignore that. They may have felt his style is boring, I personally find it incredibly interesting though I did used to complain that he didn't open up enough (which is no longer a complaint).

So now IMO, once he gets the belt he's gonna hold it for a good while because I don't see anyone in the UFC with the toolkit required to beat him at LHW.

In an ideal world I would have Machida fight another fight before a title fight. For one particular reason business as the crowd has only recently turned a corner on him and it would make business sense to solidify his burdening following by one more fight before challenging for title. But no question as a fighter he is ready to fight for the title and dominate as champ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Bloody delighted with this news if it turns out to be true.

Have been a fan of Lyoto for ages. His style is so different and technical it's refreshing to watch. He's proved he can finish the odd time as well.

I'm goin for a 5 round unanimous decsion win for Lyoto. Don't think he'll go for the finish given the importance of the fight but he'll pick a frustrated Evans apart with strikes.

Kazooie wrote: »
    Bloody delighted with this news if it turns out to be true.

Have been a fan of Lyoto for ages. His style is so different and technical it's refreshing to watch. He's proved he can finish the odd time as well.

I'm goin for a 5 round unanimous decsion win for Lyoto. Don't think he'll go for the finish given the importance of the fight but he'll pick a frustrated Evans apart with strikes.

A 5 round Lyoto fight imagine :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Im happy with either scenario as they both deserve the shot in my imo. Rampage v Rashad makes for a better fight on paper though and would likely sell more too. but no complaints here - especially if rampage wasnt going to be 100 percent.

rovert wrote: »
    A 5 round Lyoto fight imagine :eek: :D

I know.
    And they give out enough when he goes the distance in non title fights!:rolleyes:
    Bet ya Dana's considerin somehow making it a 3 round fight. :D

But for me It'll be 5 rounds of him picking his opponent apart with sweet, textbook striking. A joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Has Machidas chin been tested yet?

That's the only concern I have. He's definitely the best fighter in the weight class.

• Advertisement

Has Machidas chin been tested yet?

That's the only concern I have. He's definitely the best fighter in the weight class.

I've seen him take big shots off BJ Penn, Nakamura and em, that's it.

He's so good at not getting hit.

Problem with a Machida vs Rashad fight is that both move backward and are willing to do very little unless the other guy does, that the 1st 2 rounds could be highly uneventful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

The worst thing will be five rounds of Rogan saying....
    'Machida is very elusive..........'
    ad infinitum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I'm not sure why people are saying Lyoto deserves a shot before Rampage. Rampage destroyed a long term champ, than lost title on a very close decision. He has since beaten 2 top 10 contenders.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

If Machida gets his shot and wins, I can't see Lyoto ever losing the title.

He trains with Anderson Silva and Silva says he can't ever get close to hitting him in training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

While I think Lyoto is a very worthy challenger, my fear for a Lyoto Rashad matchup would be that it has the potential to be pretty dull.

I really like Machida's style, it's unique and very effective. But it can be boring if another fighter doesn't decide to take the fight to him. He works best when exploiting openings left by other fighters coming forward.

Rashad is also more of a counter-puncher so either someone is going to have to take the initiative or we will be in for five rounds of cat-and-mouse with very little being landed by either fighter. And to be honest I don't know if it is in either fighters' interest to leave themselves exposed by being more aggressive than they usually would as they are playing to the others strengths then.

I do want this to happen as I think Machida has proved that he is championship material at this stage, i just think that it is an interesting but potentially dull matchup in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Is or was (if the hand injury is true) Evans V Rampage scheduled yet? UFC 100? I think Machida winning the title at UFC 100 would be sweet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Rashad by lay and pray or Machida by hit and run.

That is what I would have said 3 months ago. But now I think we have a new Machida, after his last fight against Thiago. Machida by KO rd 2 is what I think now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

*grins* Machida fights to win. I think he saw enough of a threat in the shots that Thiago COULD land that he put him away early rather than risk that knock out.

Just me.

I think he'll take you to a decision if he decides you don't have the gas for the full fight.

With Rashad, i think he will see it as a case of "if you want to be the champ, you gotta beat the champ" and just look for the early win.

I've just had a premonition. Machida by gogoplata. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I wouldn't expect Rashad to present Machida with the same opportunities to hurt him though. Thiago Silva's come-forward style is at the other end of the spectrum to rashad's counter-punching, passive style, and played right into Machida's hands allowing him to capitalise on the openings Thiago left when being his normal aggressive self.

Thiago's normal style was tailor made for Machida and shows Machida at his most exciting. To be fair, most people who have fought him in the UFC have fallen into the trap of trying to take the fight to Lyoto and ended up looking pretty bad in the process.

I think Rashad will be a lot more methodical and be looking to wait for openings, hoping to fight off the back foot like he did against chuck. Unlike chuck, I don't see Machida getting frustrated and started to fight an uncharacteristally aggressive fight.

This is why I fear the fight may not be as aesthetically pleasing as either of the fighters' more recent bouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Stumbled across an old interview with Machida, worth another visit:
    http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/07/11/exclusive-interview-lyoto-machida/

I think Machida is almost purpose built to beat Rashad. Hopefully he'll do it with a KO. Of course, Rashad has proved he's a smart fighter with KO power but I don't think he'll handle Lyoto's style too well.
    I would also get a kick out of seeing a proper warrior knock out an arrogant fecker.

Advertisement