Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being forced to work 2 jobs?

Options
  • 10-03-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

About 3 months ago my manager moved me into a new role, another girl tyook over my old job and all was grand. The company have certain specialty areas and aren't great at training so for my old job its only me and the newer girl that can do it properly. I think a few others could half do it but wouldn't be able to solve the more complicated stuff that comes up. my problem has happened last week, im on a part time basis now as OH salary was reduced and we couldnt afford full time creche fees so i stay at home 2 days a week and work 3. The other girl who took over my job has told me she's going home for a month in May and taking holidays. She said she was surprised that they allowed her to do it and was told immediately there was no problem in her taking the time off. Now i've been told i have to do her job as well as mine for the entire month she's away, they claim they have no choice as the job needs to be done and nobody else can do it to my ability. They won't be paying me any extra to do it they just expect me to work full time at a normal rate and do a full time and part time job in that. When i protested that i'm part time now and it's not my fault they granted her a months holidays i was told there was no negotiation. We can't afford the extra creche fees and i don't feel its fair for me to have to do 8 days work in 5. Anything i can do?

Advertisement