Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem in Dreamweaver CS3....ftp uploading

Options
  • 10-03-2009 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

I have taken over the website updating for a friend, the ftp details that she has given me are correct, but when I connect via dreamweaver all I can see on the remote side of the screen is a folder icon and a forward slash and nothing else, folder cant be opened, nothing in it.....anyone know why this is? Havent come across this before.
    I cant see the remote files basically, have tried using Windows Explorer also, but with the same results. The site is currently live and working properly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I have taken over the website updating for a friend, the ftp details that she has given me are correct, but when I connect via dreamweaver all I can see on the remote side of the screen is a folder icon and a forward slash and nothing else, folder cant be opened, nothing in it.....anyone know why this is? Havent come across this before.
    I cant see the remote files basically, have tried using Windows Explorer also, but with the same results. The site is currently live and working properly

Have you tried the command-line FTP ?

Had this issue a fortnight ago with a site and apparently it resolved itself after I emailed the support crew (mind you, they might have tweaked something without telling me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Ok an email to the support team might be in order, I'm not familiar with command line FTP I'm afraid, I'm used to Dreamweavers get and put operations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

You don't really need to be - you just need to use it to check the connection and directory listing

> Click Start
    > Click Run
    > Type in "command"
    > In the black box type "FTP " followed by the web address/IP
    > You'll be prompted for the username & password - enter those
    > If it connects, type "ls" and press enter

This will show you a directory listing of the remote files.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

and 'bye' plus the return key will finish your session.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    You don't really need to be - you just need to use it to check the connection and directory listing

> Click Start
    > Click Run
    > Type in "command"
    > In the black box type "FTP " followed by the web address/IP
    > You'll be prompted for the username & password - enter those
    > If it connects, type "ls" and press enter

This will show you a directory listing of the remote files.

Oh really? That easy? Cheers I'll give that a go....

Edit: Ok Ive entered the username successfully but when prompted for the password I cant enter anything.....underscore just blinks and doesnt seem to accept any text....any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Just type the password and hit enter, the cursor wont move or show you what you are typing for a password.

ooops thanks, I wasnt paying attention to uppercase/lowercase letters in password :o

Advertisement