Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax at 7% but is it safe?

Options
  • 10-03-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I heard recently about Halifax offering a 7% interest on a current account.
    link: http://www.halifax.ie/index.jsp?p=100&n=101

My question for anyone in the know is simply: Is it safe to switch?
    I know there were some concerns in the UK and that they merged with lloyds i think.

Its an excellent rate to be honest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 yogasiva

I heard about Halifax but had the same opinion as you. I've recently opened an Anglo Irish account (7.3%) and a BOI (7%). Both variable rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Looks like that 7% is only for amounts up to 2,000.
    I opened a Flexi Saver account recently with them at 5% but it looks like it's down to 3.5% now.

The Anglo account is a 1 year term - saving a max of 1000/month
    BOI - save a maximum of 500/month

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Think I would rather give my money to Halifax than Anglo Irish to be honest.

yogasiva are those "current accounts"? Im asking about a current account not a savings account that i have to wait months to take money out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Saruman wrote: »
    Think I would rather give my money to Halifax than Anglo Irish to be honest.
    :confused:
    Anglo Irish - Owned by the Irish taxpayer
    Halifax - British based PLC

With all things being equal, why would you prefer to do business with a foreign plc over a company which you own (albeit a tiny minority!)?

Is this another example of the Irish attitude of "curing the headache by cutting off the head"?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

Im about to open a anglo savings account, money on there balance sheet is money on the states balance sheet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Well it is on a current account and only up to 2000 i think plus you have to have a minimum lodgement every month.

Oh and the govt guarantee here in any way is a deposit guarantee so deposits only what ever is in your current account isn't covered to the best of my knowledge. Please correct me if im wrong :)

Advertisement