Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staffie proof crate

• 10-03-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,
    We're having some problems with our rescued staffie-x Suzie. We think she suffers from separation anxiety as she has been chewing up the kitchen and having accidents when we leave her on her own. We've tried everything with her already - plenty of exercise, kongs, bones, radio on and she has another dog buddy for company so she's never really alone.

Nothing so far has worked and this has been going on for months. It's got to the stage where Im worried she'll hurt herself. e.g. she has chewed all the knobs off the washing machine and if she starts this on the gas cooker she could start a fire or something.

Anyway, we bought her a crate last week in Argos and have been introducing her to it slowly. She loves it now and will go in their of her own accord whenever she wants to chew a bone or have a nap.

We left her alone in the crate for the first time on Saturday with our other dog Buster in his crate too in the same room. She was grand when we left her - no whining or anything, just chewing away on her kong. We were only gone for an hour but when we came back much to our surprise Suzie was waiting at the door to greet us. She had managed to squeeze through the bars and escape!! We figured out how she got out and made it more secure with extra wire so didn't expect she could get out again. We were wrong!!!

I left the two of them alone for less than an hour today and could not believe it when I came back. Not only had Suzie escaped from her crate (this time she managed to open the lock), she had broken Buster out of his crate aswell by opening the door.The two of them were happy as Larry in the crate together by the time I got home!!!
    We really dont know what to do now.

Does anyone know of any crates that are staffie proof??? Should I keep the dogs in separate rooms so Suzie isn't trying to get out to Buster all the time? I don't mind the destruction so much but Im just so worried that she'll hurt herself in some way or turn on the gas while we're gone :-( I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks,
    Claire

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 soulstaf

No crate will be staffie proof if they are determined to escape!!

You do seem to be doing things correctly with regard to basic separation related problems but I think it would be best for Suzie to seek behavioural help from a qualified behaviourist

Dogs that suffer with separated related problems experience extreme emotions of stress and/or anxiety-which is not good for her and the problem can get worse

Staffies create strong bonds with their owners and do suffer with the removal of that attachment - some cope better than others.

Good Luck!

Advertisement