Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye To RTE's Questions and Answers

Options
  • 10-03-2009 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭

RTÉ has decided, with John Bowman’s agreement, to end the run of Questions and Answers at the conclusion of its current season in June 2009.John’s continuous presentation of the programme for 21 years makes it the second longest run in RTÉ’s history.
    John commented: “When I was initially persuaded to take on Questions and Answers in 1988 for one season, I never envisaged that it would enjoy such a prolonged run. However, despite the difficulty of such a decision, I concluded some time ago that once I had completed twenty years, it would be time to concentrate on my other interests within television. With summer 2009 marking my ‘21st birthday’ presenting the programme - and eager to devote more time to the marking of the 50th anniversary - I agree with RTÉ’s decision on the timing of this change.”

Thanking the programme’s viewers for their engagement over the years, John emphasised what a privilege it was to present Questions and Answers which has consistently attracted an exceptionally large audience in its Monday evening slot. He attributed this success to the programme’s production team led by Deirdre Younge with Shay Howell and Stephen Wallace. He also paid tribute to Deirdre’s predecessor, Betty Purcell.

RTÉ’s Director-General, Cathal Goan said: “Questions and Answers has been an integral part of the national conversation for over twenty years. With John in the chair expertly guiding and probing both guests and audiences, it has been an appointment to view for all with the remotest interest in current affairs at home and abroad. Given John’s central importance to its success, RTÉ has decided it will not continue the series but will - instead - seek other ways of continuing its commitment to highest quality debate on, and engagement with, matters of current public interest. I look forward to John’s important new contributions as we approach fifty years of Irish Television.”

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

There'll be a void left without it. I've always been rather fond of the party hacks who are planted in the audience to ask a scripted question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't see what Bowmans departure has to do with a whole programme, bad as it is, being axed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

program was a complete waste of time anyway, plenty of questions, not too many answers, john bowman was terrible for letting people waffle on and never get to the point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Typical RTE.

Lets me way for some US imports or low budget Irish comedy that will last half a season.

Surely Q&A is a cheap program to make with decent viewer figures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

program was a complete waste of time anyway, plenty of questions, not too many answers, john bowman was terrible for letting people waffle on and never get to the point
    Nonsense. Bowman is an intellectual genius. The sharpest debater I have ever seen. He could expose the weakness in an argument or opinion in record time.

Whereas someone like Miriam O'Callaghan, asks obvious dumb down questions on every matter. In fact, most political presenters would have nothing close to Bowman's breath of knowledge and razor sharp mind. Not to mention his wit.

This is a very, very, very big lose to public discourse. Politicians will get an even easier time now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

It isn't the best program on RTÉ (the competition for that title isn't exactly fierce), but it served a purpose so I think it's a loss that it'll be gone.

I agree that John Bowman was an excellent chairperson. Considering the panel's potential for waffle, he did cut it down considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I think his problem was that once he exposed a mistake, he wouldn't follow through on it. He sat back too often on it and didn't highlight the ludicrousness of what somebody was saying. I think it became a bit tired though, they used to just invite the same people on all the time instead of trying to find new voices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think they need a replacement show. Maybe with someone a little harder on the guests however who would go on the show if they became too hard on them?

I think Matt Cooper would be a good host. I think he does a good job on the Last Word at cutting into guests sometimes when they deserve it.

I think TV3 could have an opening for such a show if RTE don't replace this show (don't they have something like this already?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

More like questions and no answers from some of the shows I saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Mr.Micro wrote: »

+1 , and Bowman could have pressed for more answers sometimes too.

Q&A, more like B and S more often than not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Glenn Quagmire

Robbo wrote: »
    There'll be a void left without it. I've always been rather fond of the party hacks who are planted in the audience to ask a scripted question.
    Mr.Micro wrote: »

It was the planted hacks and the carefully drafted questions that made the show. There was nothing like the interrogation you got if you attempted to get audience tickets. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Its an opportunity to discover new blood. Bowman has been excellent at what he does, but we need a flagship politics programme now with a new presenter with the potential to still be pushing politicians in 20 years time.

RTE have said the slot will be used for a similar programme.

I'd agree that Matt Cooper would be good. Im trying to think of others who would fit the bill.

David McWilliams?

Eddie Hobbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Ah it's the end of an era! The fact that any student, man on the street or general nutter could get air time was part of the charm. Bowman was an excellent adjudicator and it will be hard to get a presenter and a format that could compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Bowman wasnt too hard on them, always tried to be even-handed.

I will never forget the episode directly after Northern Bank when Sinn Fein was on the panel!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Trotter wrote: »
    Its an opportunity to discover new blood. Bowman has been excellent at what he does, but we need a flagship politics programme now with a new presenter with the potential to still be pushing politicians in 20 years time.

RTE have said the slot will be used for a similar programme.

I'd agree that Matt Cooper would be good. Im trying to think of others who would fit the bill.

David McWilliams?

Eddie Hobbs?

McWilliams and Hobbs might be good at getting their own point across but that is what they would wnd up doing rather than teasing out others.

Even though the show was often cr** it was at least a nod towards having some way of the public asking our exalted politicos questions.
    Bowman is bright guy but not sure if he was tired sometimes and left the less bright politicans waffle on rather than interrupt them.
    Also the stooges in the audience were pathetic hacks sent by local cumman or HQ to always ask the most obvious of questions.

Just another excuse for RTE to spend our license fee on some piece of imported sh***, worse still some makeover show or maybe a show that highlights the talents (or more probable the lack of) of one of their stars. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

A bit sinister, considering the time we're in.

Lost or Buffy should fit in nicely to the timeslot. More ads, less 'questioning', profit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I had a point to make and I had forgotten - Bowman was really something special during 2007 Election coverage. He would just come out with these facts, something like "this family always strong in this area", just really good facts. But he didnt do it as if he were educated, he was just pure knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

If there is one thing I hate about the new Late Late show, its that Pat Kenny never seems to ask the interesting questions you wish to know the answer too.
    He just brings them on stage, and pallies around for a bit, whereas Gay Byrne knew everything about them and got it out of them.

I guess it'll be the same with the bowster's replacement.
    We'll need the Electric chair to get a coherent answer out of the current crop of clowns.

Besides, I'm sure the Australians will give discounts on the next season of Water Rats.
    Oh Joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mike65 wrote: »
    Don't see what Bowmans departure has to do with a whole programme, bad as it is, being axed.
    Indeed, things didn't grind to a halt when the iconic Robin Day left BBC's Question Time, in my opinion the brand raised it's value when Dimbleby took over.

If the cost of the TV license fee is raised this year I will most definitely smell sewer full of rats.

I was always very suspicious of both Scrap Saturday and Bull Island being cancelled on foot of license increases and in years of General Elections.

It's not exactly like Q&A was expensive period-costume-drama. I'm sure RTE will fulfill their 'social-obligation' by putting some dreadful US re-run in the slot.

A rotating chairperson would work for me - like they do on "have I got news for you" and i know, i know, its not a satirical show, but you get my drift.
    One week Cooper, The next Tom McGurk, maybe then Miriam O Callaghan one week, Mark Little another etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Id love to see Matt Cooper present a Q & A style program!!

A rotating chairperson would work for me - like they do on "have I got news for you" and i know, i know, its not a satirical show, but you get my drift.
    One week Cooper, The next Tom McGurk, maybe then Miriam O Callaghan one week, Mark Little another etc etc

I don't think this would work. Its too open to abuse to get a someone that would easily be worked over by a government representative when a tough issue comes up.

Have to remember, RTE and the government are in contact and the hard questions often don't get answered because the question isn't even asked because there seems to be some sort of prearranged, it is a friendly chat type system.

Its like the recent Frost V Nixon movie with RTE and the government IMO. The government turn up because they expect to be asked only soft questions. We need a Frost like character to shake things up a bit IMO.

Note it might be a bad analogy, I'm very tired :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

They're politicians, what do you expect? There's a very fine balance between chairing a debate and asking pointed questions and turning it into an interrogation. The latter makes for better questions but it means that it's going to be extremely hard to get anything out of the politicians and you're going to have a chair that'll be viewed as biased.

Better a relatively quiet chairman who leaves it to the other participants to pick the holes in each other's arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

bowman needed to go but i dont see what was wrong with the actual format of the programme , question time in the uk thanks to the excellent dimbelby works fine

john bowman is fine on the radio but hes too much of an academic type for tv , dont know where the posts about this wit come from , hes a charisma free zone on tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Bowman was very good, in his day, but that has long since passed. He had become less sharp and less probing over the past few years preferring to allow the various politicians to waffle on and on and when he did ask a hard question he would smile and wink at the politician mainly because over the years he had become too familiar with them all. Most senior politicians didn’t mind coming on Q and A because they knew they could waffle their way through. That’s why they’re all terrified of Vincent Browne. Glad Bowman is gone, bring in some new blood!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Surely they could have got Eoghan Harris to chair it if JB wanted out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Vincent Browne would be a good man for the job, although impartiality is hardly his middle name. Grainne Seoige or Sharon Ni Bheolain would be interesting! :)

Trotter wrote: »
    Vincent Browne would be a good man for the job, although impartiality is hardly his middle name. Grainne Seoige or Sharon Ni Bheolain would be interesting! :)

lol, no they wouldn't they have no experience asking hard questions really as far as I can see.

I still think Matt Cooper is the best person for the job.

Sharon might be good at it, just thinking about it now. Didn't she used to be a teacher? Should be good at keeping order so. Giver her a ruler and let her keep order :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

kbannon wrote: »
    Surely they could have got Eoghan Harris to chair it if JB wanted out?

Eoghan Harris and RTE don't get along these days. Plus, he is a real apologist for the current crop of cabbages, not sure he'd be able to chair a debate.

• Advertisement

Eoghan Harris and RTE don't get along these days. Plus, he is a real apologist for the current crop of cabbages, not sure he'd be able to chair a debate.

Agreeed......plus he gets all too emotive. Total w%nker.:rolleyes:
    It'll be Mark Little for the job I'd say.

Advertisement