Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye To RTE's Questions and Answers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I think everyone underappreciates Bowman.
    The three hardest things in debating to do are:
    1. Make your opponent contradict themselves
    2. Flumox them, i.e. render them speechless.
    3. Make a point that is not only makes a point but has an element of sharp wit to it as well.

Bowman did all these regularly. No presenter in Ireland can do all three. In fact no present in the UK, maybe Paxman.

Cooper might be able to do number 1, McWilliams tries to be funny but is usually cringe inducing and someone like MOC comes across as she's actually disinterested in current affairs altogether but just likes presenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

The three hardest things in debating to do are:
    1. Make your opponent contradict themselves
    2. Flumox them, i.e. render them speechless.
    3. Make a point that is not only makes a point but has an element of sharp wit to it as well

Cooper does this often on his show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Cooper does this often on his show.

Ok, I find his accent annoying.

Ok, I find his accent annoying.

Good point too!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

How about Ivan Yeats?

Insider, knows BS when he sees it etc. If he can neutralise his FG'ness then he might be worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

thebman wrote: »
    I think they need a replacement show. Maybe with someone a little harder on the guests however who would go on the show if they became too hard on them?

I think Matt Cooper would be a good host. I think he does a good job on the Last Word at cutting into guests sometimes when they deserve it.

I think TV3 could have an opening for such a show if RTE don't replace this show (don't they have something like this already?)
    Ya its called nightly news with vincent brown. I quite like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

1huge1 wrote: »
    Ya its called nightly news with vincent brown. I quite like it.

Yeah I only saw a bit of it once, they should start to advertise it more and steal the audience if they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

lol, no they wouldn't they have no experience asking hard questions really as far as I can see.

I still think Matt Cooper is the best person for the job.

Sharon might be good at it, just thinking about it now. Didn't she used to be a teacher? Should be good at keeping order so. Giver her a ruler and let her keep order :P

sharon ni bheolian is a ******* robot

i wouldnt want to see grainne seoige present it as im so in love with her , i wouldnt hear what anyone was saying , an ugly middle aged gent is needed for that job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

No loss, as it had no more indepth quality that any programme RTE has aired, which ain't a lot. It only lasted so long beause it was cheap TV. And Bowman ain't particulary great as a presenter.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Eoghan Harris and RTE don't get along these days. Plus, he is a real apologist for the current crop of cabbages, not sure he'd be able to chair a debate.
    I know - I just forgot the sarcasm smiley!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

The perfect replacement for Bowman is an educated Northern Ireland Unionist that takes no crap! Then we would have decent panel beacuse the muppets that normally show up would simply not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I honestly don't see why RTE is getting rid of the Q&A format when all they are going to do it replace it with a very similer format??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

The perfect replacement for Bowman is an educated Northern Ireland Unionist that takes no crap! Then we would have decent panel beacuse the muppets that normally so up would simply not.

Seriously, you seem to have a habit of missing key words like "a" and "others" or words to that effect. Come on, type full sentences FFS!

Back on topic now (see previous post).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moonbug33

Can't believe they would get rid of Q&A in these times.........yes indeed it is sinister. Now more than ever we need a programme like it where the public can ask questions and voice an opinion. The format works well but they need to work on the audience members and clear out the party members with staged questions. We also need something like the old Bull Island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think The Last Word and the TV3 serve as good private alternatives that can ask uncomforatable questions that would not come up in Q&A.

The Last Word accepts questions from listeners. Perhaps a live audience is obsolete, shouldn't we be using text and email in questions to allow everyone at home to participate?

Lets embrace technology and expand the base for questions. I'd hate to be the screener for the questions though!! So much crap :pac:

I think The Last Word and the TV3 serve as good private alternatives that can ask uncomforatable questions that would not come up in Q&A.

The Last Word accepts questions from listeners. Perhaps a live audience is obsolete, shouldn't we be using text and email in questions to allow everyone at home to participate?

Lets embrace technology and expand the base for questions. I'd hate to be the screener for the questions though!! So much crap :pac:

thats a good idea...........like a televised live "answer the punters" text/skype/phone show. Could still have some vested interests contributing too in studio and from regional studios too.

Advertisement