Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stripping very old paint (prob containing lead)?

Options
  • 10-03-2009 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I want to strip the paint off the staircase skirting. Having stripped other parts I know to expect some green and yellow paint. I've used Klingstrip for my doorframes and although it's really good, I found washing it off a tricky affair... I bought some Nitromors Superstrip that has to be left on overnight and the only advice on these type strippers I could find about lead paint is that one should not sand it. So am I safe enough stripping this with any old chemical paint stripper as long as I don't create any sort of inhalable dust?

And while I'm at it - the light blue and pink type wall paint in 1940's ex council houses - are they likey to contain lead? I must admit to my shame I hadn't thought about this before, and only just now am I thinking when the house was rewired and all the walls were chased, if there was lead in the paint I should probably throw out the carpets upstairs!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

A heat gun used on a lower setting is the best way from what I've heard. If you really have to dry sand then proper respiratory protection and the use of plastic sheeting to catch the dust is essential. Using misting sprays to keep down the dust is recommended as well.
    I'm not 100% sure but I always thought that normal paint strippers (methyl chloride based) should definitely not be used to strip lead paint and that you need a special product for lead...but you said you used klingstrip which is a slow acting remover...I don't think those strippers use methyl chloride.

As for your walls? Can't say for certain. Since you're dealing with a potential toxin if you're not 100% sure then get it tested. In my experience lead was mainly used for painting woodwork, usually in whites, yellows and light greens, but lead was also used as the main pigment in white paints (and therefore pastel colours) of all types before titanium dioxide came along so it's possible that your walls may have lead on them. It's impossible to know without testing really.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Anything pre 70's I suppose treat with caution. Paint on walls is most likely a white wash type lime paint. You can get lead test kits. Do a google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

We used heat guns to get rid of ours. Worked a treat. Tried the chemical strippers, but they were useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

I have done a lot of paint stripping in my time and can safely tell you not to use a heat gun or nitromorse without a good mask for your lungs.

If you have kids in the house I strongly suggest you clean up immediatly after you finish and air the place out, don't have kids in the house when you are doing it either.

The dust is awful for kids.

When you finish the job take the clothes you were wearing off and put them into the wash (wash seperately).

There are several paint stripping products that claim to be safe to use with kids around but I wouldn't bet my boys brain development on it.

If I had to use something I would use Kingstrip it contains caustic soda

Advertisement