Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Auto-electric mechanic in Waterford?

Options
  • 10-03-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

I drive a 2001 Mondeo and the driver's side electric window has stopped working. This also affects the central locking in the drivers side and even the boot lock. I took it in to Sheridans and they say it's a faulty wiring loom which needs to be replaced. They quoted €200 for the repair.

I'd like a second opinion! Does anyone know a good auto-electric mechanic in Waterford who could do the job instead at a more reasonable price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

I take it to Dick McManamara down in Waterside. There's a lad that works for him who is a genius in this area

Wo wo there tiger!

First have you got a manual for your car? second have you looked up in youtube theres a many thing there about cars and faults, thirdly have you tried any car chat rooms or ford clubs? you may meet people there who will tell you ah yeah thats this and so so, i have the same problem with my car but its an older one and after talking to a few people online i found out exactly what it is just havent got around to doing it! have you checked all fuses and taken the door panel off yet? you may see something simple, try it yourself before you get ripped off by some nasty so and so!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Multivan wrote: »
    Wo wo there tiger!

First have you got a manual for your car? second have you looked up in youtube theres a many thing there about cars and faults, thirdly have you tried any car chat rooms or ford clubs? you may meet people there who will tell you ah yeah thats this and so so, i have the same problem with my car but its an older one and after talking to a few people online i found out exactly what it is just havent got around to doing it! have you checked all fuses and taken the door panel off yet? you may see something simple, try it yourself before you get ripped off by some nasty so and so!:pac:

I've been on the mondeo forums and have been largely ignored for some reason! I also have a Haynes Manual for the car and a degree in Electronic Engineering. I've studied the electrical drawings and they're not the easiest to decipher. At least I can't see a common area that would affect central locking, only certain electric windows and the boot lock. Also getting the door panel off can be tricky and the last thing I want to do is make the problem worse. I just don't have the time or the inclination to do the job myself.

I also have a few other mechanical problems to get fixed so if I can get it all done under one roof that suits me fine. I don't mind paying money if I'm getting value for it. So any more mechanic suggestions anyone?

Has anyone dealt with Peter Nolan at the back of the old Tom Murphy showroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

I've been on the mondeo forums and have been largely ignored for some reason! I also have a Haynes Manual for the car and a degree in Electronic Engineering. I've studied the electrical drawings and they're not the easiest to decipher. At least I can't see a common area that would affect central locking, only certain electric windows and the boot lock. Also getting the door panel off can be tricky and the last thing I want to do is make the problem worse. I just don't have the time or the inclination to do the job myself.

I also have a few other mechanical problems to get fixed so if I can get it all done under one roof that suits me fine. I don't mind paying money if I'm getting value for it. So any more mechanic suggestions anyone?

Has anyone dealt with Peter Nolan at the back of the old Tom Murphy showroom?
    ive dealt with peter nolan.good work and very reasonable.wouldnt go past him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

wfman wrote: »

ive never had the need to use him but ive heard good talk about him

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

Yep top bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

well if you know your stuff in electronics check out for a bad earth and get a can of switch contact cleaner,wd 40 will do and spray all the connections you can behind the dodgey door panel and any other area you mite feel needs to be done ,dont worry if you break the clips pulling the door panel off,they sell them in deevys in town or you can ebay them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ministry

i dealt with petrer good man noes what hes doing very cheap towards the main dealers top man.Hes the man to see brill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ministry

his adress is graces lane off morgan street phone no 051 876736 whort a try

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

UMMMMM:confused: not so sure about him, I once had a civic that had a problem with the central locking system, and it was flattening the battery. I went to him and he said he just didn't do those kind of faults:confused: (thought he was an auto electrician). So I had a look myself and I found the problem. It was a faulty control unit. I thought Dick mcNamara only done starters and alternators. Prefer him tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

Iv brought my car to peter loads of times always found him very good and resonable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

sorry to dig up an old thread but finding it difficult to get someone to look at my passats wiring

the usual problem with water ingress in the ccm module has the central locking and alarm all screwed up.had my mechanic dry it out and try fix it-it's better now but still not fixed.One door doesn't respond to the remote key fob so the alarm goes off sporadically

he doesn't seem to want to finish the job, maybe wiring isnt his thing,I'm not sure

I tried McNamara but I found the guy I spoke with to be ignorant,he barely acknowledged me and just grunted a few times so I left.

peter Nolan and duggans are both too busy to even look at it they said, so I've run out of options in the Waterford area I think

Anywhere else I can try?

SteJay wrote: »
    sorry to dig up an old thread but finding it difficult to get someone to look at my passats wiring

the usual problem with water ingress in the ccm module has the central locking and alarm all screwed up.had my mechanic dry it out and try fix it-it's better now but still not fixed.One door doesn't respond to the remote key fob so the alarm goes off sporadically

he doesn't seem to want to finish the job, maybe wiring isnt his thing,I'm not sure

I tried McNamara but I found the guy I spoke with to be ignorant,he barely acknowledged me and just grunted a few times so I left.

peter Nolan and duggans are both too busy to even look at it they said, so I've run out of options in the Waterford area I think

Anywhere else I can try?

I don't know if the place down in witches lane,the next left down from Sheridans the ford dealer only do engine management ,or if they do other stuff I don't know but maybe worth a try,although it could be for nothing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There is a crowd that do electronics there on the Waterside. Can't recall the name of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

SteJay wrote: »
    I found the guy I spoke with to be ignorant,he barely acknowledged me and just grunted a few times so I left.

Is this your first time being to a mechanic or auto parts distributor, most of them do this for some reason, can never figure out why.

Sully wrote: »
    There is a crowd that do electronics there on the Waterside. Can't recall the name of the place.

Are you not thinking of ABE, Auto Battery Electrics, I thought they were gone.Mac Namara is over there too.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well I can't speak for Peter Nolan", but I can assure you, if Derek Duggan says he's to busy to look at it at the moment, then he is. January is a very busy month for Derek, he looks after quite a few of the main dealers with the fitting of parking sensors and toe-bars, as they are his bread and butter he has to give them priority.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jimmyw wrote: »
    Are you not thinking of ABE, Auto Battery Electrics, I thought they were gone.Mac Namara is over there too.

Remember a crowd who did electronics there, didn't know they were gone!
    Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well I can't speak for Peter Nolan", but I can assure you, if Derek Duggan says he's to busy to look at it at the moment, then he is. January is a very busy month for Derek, he looks after quite a few of the main dealers with the fitting of parking sensors and toe-bars, as they are his bread and butter he has to give them priority.

Duggan is the chap beside Odeon is it?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Yeah, in railway square, next to the small taxi office at the entrance to the underground car park

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Yeah, in railway square, next to the small taxi office at the entrance to the underground car park

Used him before. Nice bloke and good at what he does

Isnt McNamara the one on Waterside under the archway entrance? that's where I went first and got the "excellent" customer service

yeah Derek Duggan actually did say that about Jan being busy-and about new cars he was working on.He was sound-no problem with that

I've been to every mechanic is Waterford or Tramore over the years at one point or another and don't expect miracles.If I get the impression someone doesn't appreciate my business then I'll leave straight away and never go back

Heard of a guy outside Dungarvan who is meant to be a genius with electrics but can't get him over the phone.He must be busy also

I'll get there in the finish lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

There's something wrong with that bloke who works with Dick McNamara, he's an ignorant pig.

But Dick himself is a gentleman, it might be worth going back and trying to speak to himself.

Otherwise it might be a main dealer job!

€€€€€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Actually I just rememberd, I think there's a place in Six Cross Roads, on the left as you go in. Might be ABE reincarnated.

I can't remember their name, but it might be worth a visit.

it was an old lad wit glasses.he standing there chattin to his pal looking at an engine of a car paying no attention to me or another potential customer who walked in.pig ignorant is right,he grunted a few times den some young lad came out and said come back some other time so I walked out-must be better places around than that!

I'll have a look for the one in the 6cross roads,thanks for the suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Just got a job done on car today with the Polish lads in Waterside/riverside (down by court house) , BRILLANT SERVICE ,QUICK and CHEAP ,No booking took the car in straight away

COST=Put it this way ,diagnostics €25 ,Fix(re-wire job) €40 ,when to consider the main dealers quoted me over the phone a minimum of €85 just for the diagnostic ,I'm delighted .

OP would be well worth checking out in my humble option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

+ 1 for Peter,

Hello, can anyone give a recommendation please for a decent auto electrician to install automatic central locking (has manual but have had a couple of near misses while locking her lately) and upgrade the radio on a daihatsu sirion automatic. Thanks ðŸ‘

Advertisement