Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kite Surfing on holidays

Options
  • 10-03-2009 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have never kite-surfed and am holidaying in an area of the Algarve that has a kit sufring/boarding centre. I was thinking of trying this for a day or two.

How difficult would it be for a complete novice? I don't have huge upper body strength - would this be an issue? Would I be for days feeling like I had been in a car crash??!!

Cheers,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Its really easy to get into. Because you have the kite pulling you, you don't have to worry about your balance as much. Just keep the board pointing forwards. The controls are easy, pull the left handle to turn the kite left. Pull the right handle to go right.
    Regarding whether it'll strain your arms or not, by the time you actually get out onto the water with it, your kite will be attached to your waist by a harness, so there's not much pull on your arms. Thats what I had when I tried it out anyways. Watch groups that go out, see how they manage and that'll give you an idea. And depending on the size of the kite, and strength of the wind, you might get just pulled along, or be able to catch some serious air. These kites can lift you 10 ft in the air no problem, or dragged through the sand, face first in my case.
    If you are worried about feeling wrecked after, leave it till your last, or second last day there.

Just do it. You won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Hi Tom
    I would definitely recommend giving it a go! More than likely if its a reputable school you will spend some time on the beach learning how to fly kites before you hit the water and then you will start by getting the feel for the kite in the water before you go near a board. You will definitely ache after the first couple of tries but that shouldnt put you off as its well worth it!

Never heard of anyone being harnessed into a kite on their first lesson and i definitely wouldnt recommend it!
    Have a great trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Its not like a climbing harness or anything. Its used so that if you do lose control or something happens you let go of the main control lines, and the kite loses power but doesn't get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 peteretep

Fi H wrote: »
    Hi Tom
    Never heard of anyone being harnessed into a kite on their first lesson and i definitely wouldnt recommend it!

usually that would be your second lesson :D
    you should do it, its a great sport and the conditions in Ireland are really good for it, so you can continue it when you get home if you like it. And I've never taught anyone who didn't like it!

Advertisement