Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotify.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they seem to have it fairly well nailed down - you need an actual (not virtual) credit card from the country you are registering from.

might be worth looking at We7 - they don't have the same range of music as Spotify, but they do have an iPhone app and premium sub is €9.99 so slightly cheaper than Spotify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Mr.S wrote: »
    Can anyone explain this:

I use Spotify all the time here in Ireland, its add free (I don't pay) and never any issues. But none of my friends can download it, and when i go to the spoify website it says that its not available in Ireland?

I've had a account pretty much since the day it was released, is that why i can use it, and its just new users that can't?

What ISP are you with? Some of the ISPs work, others don't.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mr.S wrote: »
    Can anyone explain this:

I use Spotify all the time here in Ireland, its add free (I don't pay) and never any issues. But none of my friends can download it, and when i go to the spoify website it says that its not available in Ireland?

I've had a account pretty much since the day it was released, is that why i can use it, and its just new users that can't?

And i thought it was just me! Sssshhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

mine was like that but it got blocked eventually so have to pay now to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I am currently a premium subscriber but my year is up in october.
    My boss used a uk credit card to pay it for me last year.
    He had his own done this way but was recently able to use his irish card as he could choose Ireland as his country in his profile.
    I think this is due to the fact that he registered very early on when Ireland was an option.
    When my sub expires (2.5 weeks or so) I am screwed as I can't change my country as I was later registering and Ireland wasnt an option then.
    I emailed them to see if I can do anything but there is nothing I can do.
    My boss hasnt offered to renew for me as he has his Irish card setup now so it looks like I will have to do without.
    I have tried Rhapsody (which queues the songs) and a couple of other similar apps and nothing compares to spotify.
    I am going to miss it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Why are most streaming websites blocked in Ireland, is it something to do with the copyright/licensing law in this Country?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hey folks. Has anyone got an invite code for this by any change I have it thinking Im in the UK but the code I was sent is used already..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭palethinboy

I set-up an account when in the UK recently, it works at home but i know the account will expire after 14 days. I'm willing to pay for the premium service which means the account can be used in any country, but they won't accept my irish credit card as payment. is there a way around this? help............i've fallen deeply in love with spotify

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Yep you've gotta use a credit card with a uk address on it. No other way around it unfortunately. Paypal refers back to the credit card during the transaction too so that's no good either. Gotta get a uk based mate to sort it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

It could be a long time before this is officially available here. They'd have to do a licence deal with the Irish music publishers. For a country with a population of only about 4 million, it's not worth the hassle to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Have this working on my iphone, its the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Yeah but it's nigh on impossible for the rest of us mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

I gave up on getting Spotify working a while back. There is a workaround to get the premium version which involves purchasing it through an ebay user based in the UK (or just get a friend in the UK to do it)

Has anyone here tried Grooveshark. Just got a VIP copy today and it seems to be about as good as Spotify as far as I can see. The VIP subscription is only $3 per month or $30 if you sign up for the full year (compared to £9.99 per month for Spotify premium). This also entitles you to the Grooveshark mobile app and ad-free service. Seems pretty good to me and I haven't had any issues yet. Maybe the music library is smaller than spotify.com, I'm not sure. Would definitely recommend trying it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

friendface wrote: »
    I gave up on getting Spotify working a while back. There is a workaround to get the premium version which involves purchasing it through an ebay user based in the UK (or just get a friend in the UK to do it)

Has anyone here tried Grooveshark. Just got a VIP copy today and it seems to be about as good as Spotify as far as I can see. The VIP subscription is only $3 per month or $30 if you sign up for the full year (compared to £9.99 per month for Spotify premium). This also entitles you to the Grooveshark mobile app and ad-free service. Seems pretty good to me and I haven't had any issues yet. Maybe the music library is smaller than spotify.com, I'm not sure. Would definitely recommend trying it though :)

Thanks.
    Just looking at it now. Looks interesting. I wonder if they'll start region blocking in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Debit card from a Credit Union works via paypal, that was only 2 months ago and Ive never had any issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

Cheers friendface for the heads up on GrooveShark. Looks good so far. Was paid up member of Lastfm till this morning, then they went and removed the ability to play your loved tracks and playlists. Another case of the media mafia shooting themselves in the foot. They have driven me from a service I was paying for to one as far I can tell I don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Was paid up member of Lastfm till this morning, then they went and removed the ability to play your loved tracks and playlists.

Wow, I had a 1 month subscription to last.fm, without being able to play your loved tracks, it will be 100% crap as opposed to 90% before that.

I signed up to Spotify free on a UK proxy I have and loved it so much, I bought a 1 month unlimited account on Ebay for $12. Worth every cent. I can't see myself downloading much music anymore and I have a what.cd account. It's that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

On Last.Fm have you tried the free Chrome last.fm extension? I have started using that and finding it excellent, it is playing every single song, and my full playlist - very handy!

Just signed up to Spotify via a UK proxy address, thanks for the advice on here, very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 medixas

Register with Relakks.com something like 3 euro month.. u will get sweedish IP so u get free 20 hours then u can make new acount then that will run out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KattJaevel

Im Swedish and had this working nice and smooth in sweden with my HTC android phone and all.

As long as i pay for the account with my swedish bankaccount it will continue to work. But now i cant find the app for spotify to android! Horrible!

Anyone knows how to get ahold of that app? Is it availible at all for android in ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Apologies for the bump, but thought it was worth mentioning here rather in a new thread. Lucozade are currently doing an offer where you can win a Premium subscription to Spotify. Interestingly, it says on the bottle that Spotify isn't open to Irish customers, but Lucozade will give you exclusive access to Irish customers if you win. At the moment Tesco are doing a BOGOF with 750ml bottles so double your chances :D

Wow, lucky Paddy if he wins the competition eh? It's crap like this that makes me sympathize with all the people I know here who pirate their digital media.

Wow, lucky Paddy if he wins the competition eh? It's crap like this that makes me sympathize with all the people I know here who pirate their digital media.
    Ireland's a small market, of course Spotify's focus at the moment is going to be breaking into the US. It's not as if we don't have alternatives to Spotify, We7 offer a great service along with Eircom Hub, iTunes, 7Digital, HMV Digital etc. The music service is far from perfect here in Ireland, but lack of service isn't the main cause of Pirating in Ireland.

I know, but it's frustrating sometimes...

I know, but it's frustrating sometimes...
    Very frustrating but, with a small population, Ireland is the last on the list to get these new services.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Very frustrating but, with a small population, Ireland is the last on the list to get these new services.

We get (for example) apple products pretty much in line with the rest of the larger countries, and before many other countries...

We get (for example) apple products pretty much in line with the rest of the larger countries, and before many other countries...

.............. you don't need to deal with music rights deals when buying an ipod.......

Not comparable in any shape or form.

There are other legalities entailed with selling electronic goods in Ireland.

• Advertisement

There are other legalities entailed with selling electronic goods in Ireland.

None that involve literally hundreds of record labels. Some no longer active but still holding the rights. Its a poor comparison.

Selling electrical goods in Ireland, very few legalities that aren't standard across europe, can't think of any that are restricted to just Ireland.

Advertisement