Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infraction for breach of charter

Options
  • 10-03-2009 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I received a red card infraction from Oscarbravo for saying a person was trolling the the post below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055506656&page=7

Whilst I accept that accusing someone of trolling is a breach of the politics charter there was no warning issued by any of the politics mods, nor was my post edited and the offensive material removed nor was there any public reminder given in this post regarding trolling accusations. I think a red card was a bit over eager for a first time offence and a warning and yellow card more appropriate.

I queried this with oscarbravo and his blunt response was - show me the part of the mods guide where it says I have to give you an explanation. Now I don't know what's in the mods charter but a bit of common courtesy could surely apply here.

What I find incredible is that the charter doesn't allow anyone to accuse a poster of trolling but trolling itself is not explicitly prohibited.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Whilst I accept that accusing someone of trolling is a breach of the politics charter there was no warning issued by any of the politics mods.

I never issue a warning before giving an infraction. A Mod is not obliged to do so.
    If you consider someone to be trolling, report the post and leave it to the Mod to deal with instead of dragging the thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Accusations of trolling get an automatic red card from me in the politics forum. It might seem harsh to you but it's specifically addressed in the charter.

The option to report a post is always available to you in the event you feel a poster is trolling and I suggest taking this route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Having posted here for over a year, I've seen plenty of mods give warnings first and this is a more prudent and reasonable approach. Maybe a listing of red and yellow card offences could be issued on the forum so at least posters could be aware of breaches of the forum and appropriate measures so at least the cards could be seen to be consistent.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Having posted here for over a year, I've seen plenty of mods give warnings first

Maybe they have, but they are not oblidged to.
    Maybe a listing of red and yellow card offences could be issued on the forum so at least posters could be aware of breaches of the forum and appropriate measures so at least the cards could be seen to be consistent.

Mods cannot foresee the future. We cannot 'guess' all breaches.
    Cop on is required when posting in a forum. If everyone behaved themselves as they would in public, then no infractions would be required in the first place.

Well how about a bit of common courtesy when dealing with people instead of it's not in the mods manual so therefore I can be as rude as I like? Like you point out, behave like they would in person.

You really need to get a hold of oscarbravo, he is by far the worst mod I''ve experienced on this site and I know I'm not the only one who finds his manner repulsive especially towards those that disagree with his opinions. I've really had it with the politics board which is a shame since the two other moderators on it are fair and reasonable. If I was one of his pro euro groupies I'd have never have gotten a straight red.

And before you even say take your business to another board, I like boards.ie and have no problem in any other forum I post in, boards just isn't for the mods it's for everyone and if we all started posting elsewhere then your ad revenue with dry up fairly fast. Remember the posters today are potentially the mods of tomorrow, there really is no need for his rudeness.

My final post on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Let me be clear on this: are you accusing me of giving you a red card because I disagreed with the views you expressed, rather than because you broke a rule that's clearly stated in the forum charter?

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Maybe they have, but they are not oblidged to.

Mods cannot foresee the future. We cannot 'guess' all breaches.
    Cop on is required when posting in a forum. If everyone behaved themselves as they would in public, then no infractions would be required in the first place.

Hi Beruthial

Could you explain how the above post was posted given this rule please?

"make a post in the Help Desk forum. In this forum, only Smods and Admins can respond to your post." Is the mod in question an smod or admin as well?

Also I'm not asking for the sun moon and stars or to see into the future, all I'm asking for is that the existing charter be updated so people can see the possible consequences of breaching the charter. That way we can assure consistency when infractions are handed out.

Advertisement