Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choice

Options
  • 10-03-2009 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I'm currently in TY and it's now time for me to pick my leaving cert subjects.
    I have decided to do German, Technical drawing and music, along with the usual, irish, english and maths.
    I don't know what science subject to do, biology, physics or chemistry.
    I wouldn't consider myself to be that good at science.

I've heard that biology is the easiest and physics is near impossible, is this true?

Also I'm not sure whether I should do an 8th subject.
    I can do Japanese, which I heard is fairly easy.
    Or I can do Applied Maths which I heard was the hardest subject in the LC, but I'm pretty good at maths, got an A in the junior cert.

So if anyone has any experience doing these subjects, a few tips on what to pick would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

physics is the bain of my life! me and a few others in my class thought it would not be as bad as its made out to be, we were in honours maths until recently and to be honest you need to very mathsy too be able for the long questions, where as experiments/definitions are just a case of learning! if you are very good at maths and think you will like it go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

if you're not good at science why not do a business subject. you only need science if you are doing sciencey stuff in college. of course it's always good to keep your options open with one science subject if you're not sure what you want to do in college.

biology is learning off stuff more than thinking i've heard. but it also has a high failure rate so it's no gimme.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

im doing physics at the mo in fifth year i acctually find it quite do able i hated chemistry, and biology is supposed to be a very long course . if you are good at maths id go for physics im doing higher maths, applied maths and physics and i find they all relate to each other in a lot of ways.
    also i find applied maths very interesting its definately worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Prepare to hear this answer a good bit: Do what you enjoy.

Like Maths and going to do HL, do Applied Maths.

Like X section in JC Science, do X Science at LC.

Ignore what you hear about length of courses, if you enjoy it, do it.

Bio is a long course, but I like it, so I dont mind the fact that there's a fair bit to do. Whoever told you Physics is impossible, probably does no work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Fad wrote: »
    Prepare to hear this answer a good bit: Do what you enjoy.

Like Maths and going to do HL, do Applied Maths.

Like X section in JC Science, do X Science at LC.

Ignore what you hear about length of courses, if you enjoy it, do it.

Bio is a long course, but I like it, so I dont mind the fact that there's a fair bit to do. Whoever told you Physics is impossible, probably does no work.

Could not agree more, took the words out of my mouth.

I'm doing physics now and you kinda have to have a desire/passion for it to do well in it. The maths is by no means impossible (no disrespect to anyone who finds it difficult but if you got an A at higher level in JC you shouldn't have a problem.) Its just about knowing the formulae and plugging in the numbers.

The reasons why I chose physics were:
    I liked it at JC
    I'm interested in how stuff works
    I want to do engineering

That doesn't mean it will suit you though so follow Fad's advice and you won't regret it.

• Advertisement

The maths is by no means impossible (no disrespect to anyone who finds it difficult but if you got an A at higher level in JC you shouldn't have a problem.) Its just about knowing the formulae and plugging in the numbers.

its not impossible by any means, plugging in the numbers to the formulae is very easy, but its figurning out the question being asked and what formulae to use that causes the problems, i find maths ok, got a B in Higher in the Jc with no effort into it, but i still find the maths in physics the hardest:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

its not impossible by any means, plugging in the numbers to the formulae is very easy, but its figurning out the question being asked and what formulae to use that causes the problems, i find maths ok, got a B in Higher in the Jc with no effort into it, but i still find the maths in physics the hardest:D

Thats more to do with your logical reasoning and problem solving abilities than your maths abilities. You need to have a certain aptitude for it and some parts are difficult but I would consider it to be easier than integration in HL maths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TF-2K7

I think i'll give physics a go, I'm thinking of doing engineering in college anyway.
    I did music for my Junior Cert but i wasn't that good at it, so I'm just wondering if geography, business or economics would be easier to get high points.

Also, has anyone done Japanese and what did you think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

TF-2K7 wrote: »
    I think i'll give physics a go, I'm thinking of doing engineering in college anyway.
    I did music for my Junior Cert but i wasn't that good at it, so I'm just wondering if geography, business or economics would be easier to get high points.

Also, has anyone done Japanese and what did you think of it?

i'd say economics for high points. there was a thread here a good while ago saying japanese was easy. all you had to know was your name.

ya true of course, but having higher level maths for the Lc is a def plus if you are doing physics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I myself find physics the bain of my life, like english4490. I'd say do business or geography, in my opinion both easier than physics.

I myself find physics the bain of my life, like english4490. I'd say do business or geography, in my opinion both easier than physics.
    thank god someone is speaking a bit of sense!! ah business and geography what lovely
    approachable subjects! physics is evil!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Biology is fairly easy if you put a bit a work in, mostly learning, and if you got an A in higher maths you might be able for applied maths, a friend of mine does it and he says that it takes a lot of work, but he's very, very smart (wants to be a doctor).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

TF-2K7 wrote: »
    so I'm just wondering if geography, business or economics would be easier to get high points.

Economics has to be the most boring subject I do! If you learn your points you could probably get good points, a lot of learning, but it is still unhealthily boring!!

Economics is really interesting and easy if you have an interest in currant affairs, and the exam has 8 questions and you only do any 4. The choice in it can't be beat!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

I would definitely recommend Japanese if you have any aptitude for languages. The grammar is fairly simple and the alphabets are much easier than they look. It's really just a matter of application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭DURKA-DURKA

bio is dead easy!could get a B no problem! and chemistry is handy if your prepared to put the work in and have an aptitude for science! and its really interesting!

Advertisement