Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pack of littles C***S

• 10-03-2009 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Just having a rant here I came out of the shops in Drogheada today to find my bike on its side. Apparently a pack of little cnuts kicked it over and belted off. Samashed indicator both mirrors damaged.

What I find more annoying is the was a fat fcuk sitting in a taxi a few feet away and did fcuk all, here couldn't even give me a descrition four youths one with a blue hoodies. I just don't understand how someone can let something like that happen in front of there eyes and do nothing.

I checked it out at the cop shop and of course the new CCTV was pointed in the opposite direction. but that's just life. It was really someone just watching that happen that got me more, I hope the same thing happens to him if he needs help.

That's me rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

I hope the same thing happens to him if he needs help.

That's me rant over.[/quote]

dont worry karma is coming his way:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Odysseus wrote: »
    .... a fat fcuk sitting in a taxi a few feet away ....

Could you narrow it down a bit ........:D:D

Arent they all....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Sids Not wrote: »
    Could you narrow it down a bit ........:D:D

Arent they all....:eek:

oh your introuble for that hehe:):) no taxi's for you on a drunking night out haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Sorry to hear about your bike getting damaged but in fairness cop on, the taxi driver is not going to take on "a pack" of scumbags and to expect anyone to is absurd. Broken mirrors are easy to fix broken bones are a little more tricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Sorry to hear about your bike getting damaged but in fairness cop on, the taxi driver is not going to take on "a pack" of scumbags and to expect anyone to is absurd. Broken mirrors are easy to fix broken bones are a little more tricky.

Sorry mate, but personally I disagree and don't think there is a need to "cop on" as such. I personally wouldn't stand by and watch such an incident but that is my personal opinion. At the very least he could have got a descent description and called the cops, there is no risk to his safety there.

• Advertisement

The reason he didnt do anything was because..."ah sure its only a bike"....if it had have been a car/big-mac he would have been more inclined to take more notice or phone pictures......:p

Odysseus wrote: »
    Sorry mate, but personally I disagree and don't think there is a need to "cop on" as such. I personally wouldn't stand by and watch such an incident but that is my personal opinion. At the very least he could have got a descent description and called the cops, there is no risk to his safety there.

Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it but it doesn't give you the right to look down on someone just because they made the decision not to get involved. The fact is, the situation could have gotten much worse if the taxi driver had stood up to them.
    How would you feel if he did stand up to the scumbags and had the crap beaten out of him or worse, 1 taxi driver against "a pack" of scumbags is only going to have a bad outcome. I know I'd prefer to pay the repair bills than have something like that on my conscience.

The bottom line is, it was his decision not to get involved and you shouldn't be on here calling him a "fat fcuk" just because he minded his own business and kept himself out of trouble.

Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it but it doesn't give you the right to look down on someone just because they made the decision not to get involved. The fact is, the situation could have gotten much worse if the taxi driver had stood up to them.
    How would you feel if he did stand up to the scumbags and had the crap beaten out of him or worse, 1 taxi driver against "a pack" of scumbags is only going to have a bad outcome. I know I'd prefer to pay the repair bills than have something like that on my conscience.

The bottom line is, it was his decision not to get involved and you shouldn't be on here calling him a "fat fcuk" just because he minded his own business and kept himself out of trouble.

What can I say we disagree on the above issue, however, I stand over my assessment of said taxi man. I'm fully awear of the dangers of these situations, and the fear they can provoke is people. However, I'm sure he is not too fussed about my assessment of him, but yeah I would look down on him for not doing anything.

No the bottom line he was a lazy fat fcuk ....turning a blind eye is just what makes these scumbags worse...it gives them more power to carry on doing it...next time it'll be someone getting stabbed....You dont have to get "involved" to help stop this crap from taking place....you just have to care...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

As Clint Eastwood said people are turning soft. They will stand by and let these things happen as long as it doesnt affect them.

• Advertisement

I honestly can't believe that people are giving out because somebody didn't take on a gang of scumbags.

There is far too much of this hard man attitude in biking in Ireland, its your bike to protect and no one else's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I honestly can't believe that people are giving out because somebody didn't take on a gang of scumbags.

There is far too much of this hard man attitude in biking in Ireland, its your bike to protect and no one else's.

that's pure stupidity to be posting. The OP said he could have "AT LEAST called the gardai".
    That does not involve "taking on a gang of youths" like some sort of muscle bound ninja from the depts of hell

- it involves dialling THREE NUMBERS on your mobile.. and informing some gards of the situation.

From your leap to this lazy heaps defense, you wouldn't happen to be an overweight provider of public transport for a small fee yourself by any chance?
    it's the only reason I can see you getting so worked up about someone venting about their damaged vehicle and a bystander nearby not even bothering to ring the gards.

It reminds me of the time some group of people didnt bother to help a woman being mugged on O'Connell street - fine if you don't want to fight RING THE GARDS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

What exactly did people expect the fat man to do?

Jump out of his taxi in the middle of the road and take on four scumbags by himself because they knocked a bike over?

If you were driving down the road on your bike and you saw four youths vandalise a taxi and run off would you get off the bike and chase them?

As Clint Eastwood said people are turning soft. They will stand by and let these things happen as long as it doesnt affect them.

Nope..more a case of other people turning mental. Years ago you intervened and you got a punch or at worst a hiding.......now you get stabbed or pick on the wrong scumbag and you get even worse:eek:

jim o doom wrote: »
    it's the only reason I can see you getting so worked up about someone venting about their damaged vehicle and a bystander nearby not even bothering to ring the gards.

Venting is one thing, but having a dig at someone because they minded their own business and kept themselves out of trouble is another.
    that's pure stupidity to be posting. The OP said he could have "AT LEAST called the gardai".
    That does not involve "taking on a gang of youths" like some sort of muscle bound ninja from the depts of hell

The OP said nothing about the Gardai in the original post, we all know that in this case it was the taxi driver intervening and not just calling the Gardai the OP was after.

The fact is in a case like this the taxi driver calling the guards wasn't going to do much. The OP said that they kicked it over and ran off.
    Its your responsibility to look after your bike and nobody else's,
    and you shouldn't rely on the kindness of strangers to keep your bike safe.
    From your leap to this lazy heaps defense, you wouldn't happen to be an overweight provider of public transport for a small fee yourself by any chance?
    Having a dig at me really helps doesn't it :rolleyes:. This is more of the hardman attitude that is inherent in the biking culture in Ireland. I defended a man who kept himself out of trouble so obviously I'm an overweight taxi driver.

Babybing wrote: »
    Nope..more a case of other people turning mental. Years ago you intervened and you got a punch or at worst a hiding.......now you get stabbed or pick on the wrong scumbag and you get even worse:eek:[/QUOTE

Lot of people missing / avoiding the point.....CALL THE GARDAI.....nobody expects anyone to take on these little gits...i wouldnt..but i can use a phone...i would ,but then again i'm a biker too....

Venting is one thing, but having a dig at someone because they minded their own business and kept themselves out of trouble is another.

I defended a man who kept himself out of trouble so obviously I'm an overweight taxi driver.

..or you know someone who is..............:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hey OP, the taxi man wasn't driving a C class Merc by any chance was he?

Nope..more a case of other people turning mental. Years ago you intervened and you got a punch or at worst a hiding.......now you get stabbed or pick on the wrong scumbag and you get even worse:eek:[/QUOTE

Lot of people missing / avoiding the point.....CALL THE GARDAI.....nobody expects anyone to take on these little gits...i wouldnt..but i can use a phone...i would ,but then again i'm a biker too....

Maybe Ive missed what happened.

The way I read it was scumbags vandalise bike, taxi driver witnesses, owner comes out of shop and taxi driver explains what happened.

If thats not what happened how did the owner get into contact with the taxi driver?

The OP said nothing about the Gardai in the original post, we all know that in this case it was the taxi driver intervening and not just calling the Gardai the OP was after.
    >
    Having a dig at any one is legal and perfectly acceptable - when they do nothing. The op may have not SAID anything about the gards - he didn't need to. COMMON SENSE dictates that the taxi driver could have rang the gards. I assume as a biker you have common sense as you need it to stay alive on the road, correct?
    The fact is in a case like this the taxi driver calling the guards wasn't going to do much. The OP said that they kicked it over and ran off.
    Its your responsibility to look after your bike and nobody else's,
    and you shouldn't rely on the kindness of strangers to keep your bike safe.
    >
    The fact is that you don't know that "for a fact". If he had rang them they might have made it - if he had even paid enough attention to get an accurate description of them to be given to a gard - even THAT would be useful - what he did - nothing - was entirely useless.

And it's all good and well to say "your bikes safety is your responsibility". But nobody can be there 24/7. We have to go to work, we have to walk into shops, our life cannot revolve around the safety of our vehicle and to suggest it should is insane and contrary to real life.
    Having a dig at me really helps doesn't it? This is more of the hardman attitude that is inherent in the biking culture in Ireland. I defended a man who kept himself out of trouble so obviously I'm an overweight taxi driver.

Not a dig at you so much - but at your ridiculous attitude that the taxi man was fine sitting there and ignoring criminal damage. Would you feel the same if he ignored a woman being mugged, or raped?

And you banter on about this hard man attitud, how hard man is it to CALL THE GARDS? it isn't hard, its easy - it's just a phone call.

• Advertisement

My last comment...to smellslikeshoes..if it was your bike and this happened...what would you do....just say "ah well"......No you'd be on here too...looking for some support, not having to defend yourself...just feel for the guy and stop dragging this on.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

........posted by someone who's never had something like that done to their property, that's what I think.....

Many years ago, outside a pub in Galway, a couple of visiting Kerry Macra yobs knocked over a line of bikes outside the pub, my SO's 1 week old bike amongst them...........cue: manhunt. The crowd in the pub left the premises, split up, and went looking for them.

Found them too.

Won't do it again, I assure you........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Not a dig at you so much - but at your ridiculous attitude that the taxi man was fine sitting there and ignoring criminal damage. Would you feel the same if he ignored a woman being mugged, or raped?

And you banter on about this hard man attitud, how hard man is it to CALL THE GARDS? it isn't hard, its easy - it's just a phone call.
    You can't compare someone getting mugged/raped to someone kicking over a bike, two completely different things. The OP was expecting more than him just calling the guards though

He came across like he was expecting this person to intervene in his original post and that is where this argument stems from.
    My last comment...to smellslikeshoes..if it was your bike and this happened...what would you do....just say "ah well"......No you'd be on here too...looking for some support, not having to defend yourself...just feel for the guy and stop dragging this on.....
    Ah don't get me wrong, I do feel for him. Its never happened to my bike thankfully but I know I'd be well cut up if it did happen. My point is he shouldn't be having a go about a third parties actions/lack thereof. He should be having a go at the scumbags and looking into parking it in a safer place/ alarm/better locks etc.

Ah don't get me wrong, I do feel for him. Its never happened to my bike thankfully but I know I'd be well cut up if it did happen. My point is he shouldn't be having a go about a third parties actions/lack thereof. He should be having a go at the scumbags and looking into parking it in a safer place/ alarm/better locks etc.

He actually mentionned that the Taxi driver could not even give him any sort of description. A description isn't really an "intervention" it's something that would help the gards in their duty of catching the offenders. he did mention it - I read it myself.

If you really did "feel for him" you wouldn't be telling him how he should be feeling.. or what he "should have done". He didn't do what you say "he should have done" and his bike was damaged by douche bags. Telling someone - in retrospect - what they SHOULD have done is basically a slap in the face.

Ohhh you lost all your money betting on horse 12? no mate! you should have bet on horse 10! he's the one that won! retrospect is a wonderful thing.

galwaytt wrote: »
    ........posted by someone who's never had something like that done to their property, that's what I think.....

Many years ago, outside a pub in Galway, a couple of visiting Kerry Macra yobs knocked over a line of bikes outside the pub, my SO's 1 week old bike amongst them...........cue: manhunt. The crowd in the pub left the premises, split up, and went looking for them.

Found them too.

Won't do it again, I assure you........

That is hardly relevant here, I'm not defending the scum bags who knocked over his bike. The lads who done it deserve a good kicking in my eyes but this whole thing is about him having a dig at a taxi driver because he didn't get involved. Being honest if my bike was in the line outside the pub I'd be the one with the pool que taking things too far :p

If you really did "feel for him" you wouldn't be telling him how he should be feeling.. or what he "should have done". He didn't do what you say "he should have done" and his bike was damaged by douche bags. Telling someone - in retrospect - what they SHOULD have done is basically a slap in the face.

PLEASE PLEASE, tell me where I have told him what he should have done?
    Because obviously you have misunderstood something.
    He actually mentionned that the Taxi driver could not even give him any sort of description. A description isn't really an "intervention" it's something that would help the gards in their duty of catching the offenders. he did mention it - I read it myself.

To be fair giving an accurate description is not easy, especially when there is more than one of them.

Jump out of his taxi in the middle of the road and take on four scumbags by himself because they knocked a bike over?

If you were driving down the road on your bike and you saw four youths vandalise a taxi and run off would you get off the bike and chase them?

I would assesed the situation and make my call on it, at least I would ring the cops and give a visual description. If the roles were reversed yesterday and I was 5-7 feet away from a taxi being done yes I would make some form of intervention.

No lock or alarm would have prevented the incident. As for safer parking Main St in a busy town, parked up at those points designed for motorbike and push bikes. Close to CCTV but you have no control over which way it gets directed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Pick up the phone and call the Garda and perhaps note down a good description of the offenders. All from the safety of his '92 Nissan Sunny.
    Fcuk no, for a taxi?! :D

• Advertisement

Yeah i would, and when i caught them i'd drag them back to the car and show them how to do a better job.......:eek: i'm in trouble now...:D

BTW why was'nt the taxi-man in dublin picketing and fcuking up the traffic with the rest of them................:mad:

Oh before i forget..heres the latest "no nocky overy bikey thingy" from Lidl.........:p

Advertisement