Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Question

Options
  • 10-03-2009 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

In my physics class last week we tried to use a lens to make an image of a far away building on a screen. The only problem was that there was too much ambient light from the sun (which was behind the screen) and it drowned out the light rays from the building.

We now have to make some sort of dark box so that we can see the image of the building being formed. I haven't got a clue how to do this!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Could you not make it more simpler such as use an object in the lab and project an image of that onto the screen. There are too many variables involved with the building, the ambient light from the sun being one of them. Using simple objects that can easily be measured to confirm that 1/u+1/v=1/f is a lot easier than trying to use buildings etc and will have the same result.

If the problem is from the light rays coming from the building being drowned out, how is making a darkbox going to help? Surely, you would have to cover everywhere from the building to your lens to do so and put lights or something around the perimeter of the building.

I don't know how you would do this. Maybe go back into school at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rogers4815

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Could you not make it more simpler such as use an object in the lab and project an image of that onto the screen. There are too many variables involved with the building, the ambient light from the sun being one of them. Using simple objects that can easily be measured to confirm that 1/u+1/v=1/f is a lot easier than trying to use buildings etc and will have the same result.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah i know but we've already done that in class and my teacher wants us to try the same outside on the building regardless so there's nothing i can do about changing it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Try again when its cloudy, you probably won't have to wait too long.
    Or tell your teacher to cop on, and that you don't really need to do that to get the idea of the experiment, and doing a few closer images from inside the lab is just fine.

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    Try again when its cloudy, you probably won't have to wait too long.
    Or tell your teacher to cop on, and that you don't really need to do that to get the idea of the experiment, and doing a few closer images from inside the lab is just fine.

Em, i can't really do that! I'll get in trouble for not making the box and then telling him to cop on! Not a very viable option!

rogers4815 wrote: »
    Em, i can't really do that! I'll get in trouble for not making the box and then telling him to cop on! Not a very viable option!

As a senior student, don't be afraid to challenge some of your teachers and criticise their teaching methods. Usually, they will heed your advice and try an alternative. Always works for me. Don't be afraid to disagree either or get into a debate with them because you will actually learn more this way.

• Advertisement

Tell your teacher that if s/he wants to do an experiment on lenses at this scale to bring ye to the cinema!

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    As a senior student, don't be afraid to challenge some of your teachers and criticise their teaching methods. Usually, they will heed your advice and try an alternative. Always works for me. Don't be afraid to disagree either or get into a debate with them because you will actually learn more this way.

Believe me i'm not! i've done it before! many times! but i'd just prefer to actually do this experiment! Can anyone please tell me how i can go about this!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Make some kind of box with a hole in it, cut out one side and attach a big bit of dark cloth so someone can look inside...? Sort of like old cameras.

Make some kind of box with a hole in it, cut out one side and attach a big bit of dark cloth so someone can look inside...? Sort of like old cameras.

Oh! That's great! Thanks a million!

Advertisement