Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Binge eating

• 10-03-2009 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else binge eat? I am of a normal weight and will limit foods as I might put on weight. Then all hell breaks loose and I don't seem to have a stop button. I don't stop when full, I could eat 5 chocolate bars then some ice cream, then some bread and chips. i have tried to eat more carbs on a daily basis but nothing seems to help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

I dont know what to say i used to suffer horrendously from this. Dont know what made me get over it but i didnt to a certain extent. I would eat everything i could lay my hands on and then nearly puke afterwards. I guess i just tried to eat regularly, thus stopping myself from being hungry and having the temptation to binge eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

You say you limit your food, but do you cut out a lot of the foods you like? If you have a weakness for chocolate, allow yourself a snack size bar a day to satisfy the craving. Make sure you stay within your calorie allowance if you're counting, just work it in alongside the healthy food. This would stop you feeling deprived and reduce the risk of bingeing.

Also make sure you eat a variety of foods and experiment with new flavours and different ingredients. This should limit your desire to go out and eat junk food in order to get some tasty food in you!

These are just a couple of suggestions, but I think you need to figure out why you go on the binges in order to stop them. Is it triggered by something that happens? Are you just bored? Are there more serious issues that you need some help with? Once you can answer the 'why' then you can try to work out how to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I would suspect your body is craving nutrition and you're giving it sugar, then when the sugar rush wears off your body still craves nutrition and you give it more sugar. And so on and so forth. I have done this a lot in the past, much less so now, eat healthily despite the urge or at least find a healthier alternative - fruit and probiotic yoghurt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

femur61 wrote: »
    i have tried to eat more carbs on a daily basis but nothing seems to help.
    Instead of eating more carbs have you tried eating more protein/ good fats? Carb cravings tend to be self-perpetuating, and the more you eat the more you want them. Proteins and good fats (nuts, seeds, plant oils, fish) are much more satiating and will help curb your appetite.

When you go from eating high carb to low(er) carb you'll find it's a bit of an adjustment, but it doesn't take long for your appetite to re-set itself and you'll learn when you're genuinely hungry and when you're simply craving sugar.

Try to identify the behaviour that acoompanies the cravings too - is it boredom? Emotional eating? Stress?

Overeating/ binge eating is an eating disorder that's becoming more common and there are more qualified people who can help you with this: http://www.bodywhys.ie/

Best of luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement