Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bricking up a door/window area 2m x 2m

• 10-03-2009 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭

Bit of advice needed here?

Between my kitchen and sun/utility room is currently double glass doors (quite narrow) and two full length narrow windows (one either side). The actual overall "hole" is about 2m x 2m. My idea is to brick up one window completely, put in a single normal width door (half glass) and then half brick up the rest of the gap with a small window (hope this makes sense).

I'm aiming to keep more heat in, have more wall space for hanging kitchen items one side and utility the other and also take away a load of what I'm sure is not safety glass.

Any idea if this is the best way to fill this gap and how much work would be involved (for a handyman/brickie - not me) and I suppose any idea of cost?

Any suggestions/ridicule welcome!!!

cheers

Jim

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Its a double leaf wall or timber frame?

Im going to assume its a double leaf cabity wall. If its brick outside you need to brick up the outer leaf - bricks are about 70 cent and 6 of them make up an area of 9" x 16" (a block) -you do the math. You need some insulation in the cavity 60mm xtratherm, and then 4" blocks inside all that should be no more than 170 -22- euro at a very rough guess.

A scratch coat (base coat) on the inside wall, and a skim coat and bob is your preverbial uncle. I would suggest you go to a windo and door agent locally and see if they have some "Leftovers" its common that they have doors and windows that were wrong sizes for jobs and will go cheap.. maybe 600 euro. The door and window are fitted when the walls are in but before the plaster, they are nailed in through an aluminium banding that clicks into the side of the window / door frame, wou will need a cill aswell and possibly a lintel too depending in exactly whay you're doing.

Labour? If you lived beside me.. id do it for 500 ;) , but it really depends on who you get.. cost on labour.. 800 - 900 quid.

My advice? If its mainly heatloss thats your problem, dont bother doing this - just get a new door / windo to size thats triple glazed, and have it insulated around the frame and then plastered in, you'll save on the labour cost

Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

McNulty wrote: »
    Between my kitchen and sun/utility room is currently double glass doors (quite narrow) and two full length narrow windows (one either side).

Snyper has given good advice for a blockwork wall. But if its an internal wall, get a Carpenter to stud out the ope to the size, leaving a stadard door ope. Much cheaper to do.

Insulate between the studs with Rockwool, screw plywood sheeting to each side of studs and finish with plasterboard and skim coat.

The ply will allow you to hang kitchen units or shelves as you wish. Of course you can omit the plywood if you know exactly what you are putting on the wall and where.

Just install the vertical studs and horizontal struts to suit the position of your wall units. The timber will be positioned in the new wall to receive screws to support wall units or shelves.

A good Carpenter should do same in a day - days wage. A Plasterer would skim both sides in a matter of hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

RKQ wrote: »
    Snyper has given good advice for a blockwork wall. But if its an internal wall, get a Carpenter to stud out the ope to the size, leaving a stadard door ope. Much cheaper to do.

Insulate between the studs with Rockwool, screw plywood sheeting to each side of studs and finish with plasterboard and skim coat.

The ply will allow you to hang kitchen units or shelves as you wish. Of course you can omit the plywood if you know exactly what you are putting on the wall and where.

Just install the vertical studs and horizontal struts to suit the position of your wall units. The timber will be positioned in the new wall to receive screws to support wall units or shelves.

A good Carpenter should do same in a day - days wage. A Plasterer would skim both sides in a matter of hours.

i think though its an external wall, why would there be windows and a door on an internal wall?

if the entire window and door set is inside, id go with whe stud option but use rigid insulation. The sunroom could be v cold in winter and take heat from kitchen.

but certainly the stud is the cheaper option

Advertisement