Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reason not given for locking a thread.

Options
  • 10-03-2009 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

I can give links as examples if needs be, but i have noticed a few threads in after hours have been locked without the mod even giving a reason for locking them. The mod/s didnt even post to say that they were locking them.

Now if the thread was against the charter or had just run its course then maybe the mod who locks it should state the reason why it was locked. I respect the decision to lock a thread for some reason, that isn't the problem. But locking one without giving a reason isn't very constructive, maybe by stating the reason why it was locked it might even cut down on the problem issue that led to it being locked in the first place.

As it is, it simply looks like an arbitrary decision based on nothing more than the moderator disagreeing with some posts or even just because he/she got out of bed on the wrong side.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Caoimhín wrote: »
    , maybe by stating the reason why it was locked it might even cut down on the problem issue that led to it being locked in the first place.

I agree. I couldnt care less what reason a mod decides to lock a thread, its their business not mine, but it would perhaps benefit as you stated above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why didn't you just pm the mod and ask ?
    If they can't give an reasonable answer then as the cat mod/smod to review the action via helpdesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

It's a fair point but we're not obliged to give a reason and in many cases it will be self evident. The only one today that I can see that might not be obvious is the one about God being male. It had descended into a discussion about how palatable oral sex is on men and women which has nothing to do with the thread title.... which in turn had almost nothing to do with the content of the original post.

We do usually try to leave a reason but I'm not going to make any promises. Most of the time it should be obvious. If it isn't, feel free to PM a mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Why the attachment to any single scatological or faux-sexist thread in AH?

Just make a cuppa and refresh the page. :D

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Why didn't you just pm the mod and ask ?
    If they can't give an reasonable answer then as the cat mod/smod to review the action via helpdesk.

Hes asking a general question as to what he feels is a recent trend. if users were to be pm'ing mods as to why a thread was closed we could be talking about many many unnecessary messages.

I would fear for Terry, i think he would break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

javaboy wrote: »
    Most of the time it should be obvious. If it isn't, feel free to PM a mod.

Its not obvious which mod locked the thread so therefore its impossible to know which mod to PM. In AH (since thats the example used in OP) there are 6 mods (five of which could be offline at any particular time, and not have a clue of the reason) If ten people wanted to know why it was locked this would result in sixty PM's being sent, all to save one short explanatory post.

EDIT: Just had a quick look at AH and there are 5 locked threads on the first page all locked by Javaboy and all with Javaboy as the last poster with an explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

This ties into the deleted thread issue that came up a day or two ago.

What's wrong with building in a bit of transparency, within reason (with the caveats that Seamus raised, that spammers etc., wouldn't get such a courtesy, and that it would need to be an in line, and opt in procedure that wouldn't be to difficult to implement.)

In terms of deleted threads of course, and notifying the original author I mean, although the same mindset applies here.

WRT locked threads, a final message on thread isn't a biggie. PMs aren't waf, as the reason isn't disseminated to everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Right lads,

Here is an example; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055504788&page=4

Now, i accept that it was probably the wrong place, maybe should have been in the TV forum. But the thread was just locked without an explanation.
    In all fairness, it doesnt take long for the mod to post a note saying, "should have been in TV", or "moved to TV". Unless i am missing something, i dont see what the problem is otherwise, nothing offensive or no obvious breach of the charter.
    Even if there is a valid reason, a 5 or 6 word post to explain the decision may help to prevent a re-occurrence in the future..

I am not whinging here or critizing the mods decision, just trying to be constructive. I think it will help AH in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think:

-Mods need to issue a warning or infraction based on the content of a post:

Quote the post (removing and dodgy stuff, and edit the original post), explain how it breaches the charter, explain sanction (ban or infraction)

-Mods need to remove a post:

Edit the post, remove the contents, explain why it's edited, explain what will happen if the OP does it again

-Mods need to lock a thread:
    Mod posts last in the thread, explaining why it's locked

-Mods need to delete a thread:
    Close thread, delete, PM the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

tbh wrote: »
    I think:

-Mods need to issue a warning or infraction based on the content of a post:

Quote the post (removing and dodgy stuff, and edit the original post), explain how it breaches the charter, explain sanction (ban or infraction)

-Mods need to remove a post:

Edit the post, remove the contents, explain why it's edited, explain what will happen if the OP does it again

-Mods need to lock a thread:
    Mod posts last in the thread, explaining why it's locked

-Mods need to delete a thread:
    Close thread, delete, PM the OP.

Completely agree with this. I always post (to the best of my recollection) if I've infracted or banned someone, deleted posts or why I've locked the thread etc on thread. I know some mods don't like this and say this takes threads off topic but I agree that there needs to be a bit of transparency. It's not hard to make one post and it creates less problems in the long run.

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    Completely agree with this. I always post (to the best of my recollection) if I've infracted or banned someone, deleted posts or why I've locked the thread etc on thread. I know some mods don't like this and say this takes threads off topic but I agree that there needs to be a bit of transparency. It's not hard to make one post and it creates less problems in the long run.

While i agree with you, to be fair AH has alot more traffic, and does not have enough mods in my opinion,and while i always gave a reason for locking or deleting posts when i staffed on a MS vista forum, AH is so busy and there is so many asshat posters and comments im sure they are just tired repeating themselves.

There hasn't been any response from any AH mods on this thread, i thought that's what feedback was for. Jaysus, all im trying to do is give some constructive feedback, not cause any bother...

Javaboy is an AH mod and he posted #4

javaboy wrote: »
    If it isn't, feel free to PM a mod.

Missed the point, sometimes it isnt even clear which mod locked the thread.

Can you link to any particular AH forum that was locked without explanation in the last few days. I had a quick look at most were locked by Javaboy with reasons given

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Can you link to any particular AH forum that was locked without explanation in the last few days. I had a quick look at most were locked by Javaboy with reasons given

On front page at time of posting

AH Thread

On front page at time of posting

AH Thread
    Does it really need explaining?

Reason 1. It should be in feedback!

Reason 2. There is a sticky in AH looking for suggestions for improvements that it could've been posted in.

Reason 3. The OP should've PM'ed the mod in question asking for a specific reason.

Any of these ok? I'm not a mod so can only assume it was one of these three.

Any of these ok? I'm not a mod so can only assume it was one of these three.

Probably are but I'm just providing examples of thread to back up the OP cause I'm bored in work and have nothing better to do:) Doesn't really bother me unless its a big-ish thread already anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

TV forum

Soccer forum

Think it is self-explanatory as to why they were locked.

• Advertisement

AH is not a blog, or to discuss what someone is watching. Sex&Sexuality, TV Forum both would've a more suitable home for that thread.

Posting to get around a ban or to gain access to a private forum is a heavily frowned on thing. The case could be made that the OP was lucky to escape without an infraction

AH is not a blog, or to discuss what someone is watching. Sex&Sexuality, TV Forum both would've a more suitable home for that thread.

Posting to get around a ban or to gain access to a private forum is a heavily frowned on thing. The case could be made that the OP was lucky to escape without an infraction

All a mod would have had to have done was that^^
    Quazzie for AH mod:pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...5504788&page=4

Javaboy is always bang on, gives an explanation.

Again, i have no problem with pointless/stupid/offencive/out of place/against the charter threads being locked. Its when it is simply locked without any post from a mod even saying that it is now locked..

That link doesn't work for me for some reason.

That link doesn't work for me for some reason.

Try this...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055504788&page=4

Celebrities forum tbh. The only question that might be asked imo is why it was locked and not just moved. One answer might be that the mod who locked it felt that it was going down a bad road that might lead into posting of inappropriate pics which would lead to bans being handed out. Sometimes people don't realise that locking threads sometimes saves them from walking straight into trouble.

Celebrities forum tbh. The only question that might be asked imo is why it was locked and not just moved. One answer might be that the mod who locked it felt that it was going down a bad road that might lead into posting of inappropriate pics which would lead to bans being handed out. Sometimes people don't realise that locking threads sometimes saves them from walking straight into trouble.

Fair enough, however, count the words; "Thread locked, celebrity forum tbh, also its getting smutty" - AHmod

9 words, 15 seconds to type, problem solved and may serve as a warning and prevent a recurrence.

As it is, it was just locked, no reason given or even a mod posting to say that he/she just felt liked locking it.

Glastnos.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Fair enough, however, count the words; "Thread locked, celebrity forum tbh, also its getting smutty" - AHmod

9 words, 15 seconds to type, problem solved and may serve as a warning and prevent a recurrence.

As it is, it was just locked, no reason given or even a mod posting to say that he/she just felt liked locking it.

Glastnos.:D
    I can't type nine words in 15 seconds.

Look, it's a busy forum. It has twice as many threads (based over the average 10 days) as it did when i started modding it about two years ago. It also has twice as many users, if not more.

We do our best to keep it the way the majority want it.
    We ask for user input so that these types of threads are not needed. There is currently a sticky in AH asking how you would like AH to be.
    We are more likely to pay attention to a post in that thread than to one here.

Sometimes there may only be one of us on at any particular time of day. It might be busy and we may be dealing with reported posts coming in from all over the place.
    We sometimes don't have the time to give a detailed explanation for every thread we close.
    We may have a detailed explanation to give, but then a slew or reported posts will come in and we will deal with them first and then just forget about the thread we just closed.
    Well, that's my take on it anyway.

As for the mods, we have a high turnover of mods in AH. I've seen at least seven come and go in my time modding AH and we all have a different approach as to how things are handled.

A couple of the threads linked to were closed by me.
    I'll only ever close a thread if I feel it's either a troll or something that doesn't belong in AH. Where he latter is concerned, I sometimes will move a thread to the appropriate forum, but only if it's not a busy time of the day. If it's busy, then there really is no point in moving it becuase it will end up with the usual AH replies. I can delete them all before I move it, but a few slip in while I'm in the process of moving it and then I have to explain to the mods of that particualr forum that those who replied did so because it was an AH thread and shouldn't be banned for the comments they have made.

Fair enough Terry. Again, im not complaining about the mods, it is a tough job and fair play to you guys for doing it in your free time, its not a job i would relish.
    I am only trying to make a constructive point as to how AH may be improved. Since AH is the fourm that many new users tend to go to first and lets face it, nobody reads the charter or stickies, i just thought it would make the mods jobs easier in the long term if there is a clear reason given for locking a dumb thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If you're ever curious as to any modding decision made in AH, feel free to PM me.
    If it wasn't done by me, I'll ask the mod who did do it.
    I've no problem answering any questions. I doubt the other mods do either. Just don't PM them on my word.

If the green light is on, I'm on-line and will get back to you ASAP.

Advertisement