Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gchat

• 10-03-2009 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hey, I'm trying to get google chat on my e65. So far the only free software I can find that supports it is Fring. Problem is it runs really really really slowly. So slowly I cant even configure the bloody thing. Menu selection is delayed by at least 40 seconds, more in some cases. Im trying to figure out if it's a) just my phone acting up or b)if fring is just to memory heavy for the e65 which is slow at the best of times anyway.

Or does anyone know another way of getting gchat on the phone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

http://www.talkonaut.com/

you can sign into google chat or any XMPP server with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Also have a look at ebuddy :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

bombus is another popular one yea try that also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

There's another one with the rather unfortunate name of 'Slick' that is actually quite good.

Also, the Gizmo clients (full and Gizmo 5) support GTalk with a bit of work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Bluefrog wrote: »
    There's another one with the rather unfortunate name of 'Slick' that is actually quite good.

Also, the Gizmo clients (full and Gizmo 5) support GTalk with a bit of work.

I keep readin that, but Ive been playing with gizmo all night and cant seem to find anything in that'll let me use gchat.

I dont want a java program, or having to leave my browser open the whole time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I used fring on an e65 for ages and never had that problem....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Cable wrote: »
    I keep readin that, but Ive been playing with gizmo all night and cant seem to find anything in that'll let me use gchat.

Gchat is based on an open source protocol called XMPP aka jabber.

It may be called one of those.

I remember using it before, so unless it's the latest update or my phone is just getting bogged down. Not due my upgrade for a few weeks yet and need to drain every last bit of juice out of my e65

talkonaut is native S60 stuff i think

• Advertisement

http://gizmo5.com/pc/products/features/google-talk/ - I did say it took some work ;)

Well yeah, thats certainly a work around, but its not me logging into gchat, its me chatting to them, would it show when theyre online and when im online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

NimBuzz has a native S60 client

Nimbuzz looks and works great but totally kills my battery.

Is it just me or is the OP a bit whiney? ,I suggested Slick which totally fits the criteria mentioned and merely mentioned Gizmo as an afterthought. I then went on to Google for how to add GTalk contacts so a thanks would be nice. If Gizmo doesn't suit, use something else. Its not like you're stuck for choice given all the suggestions made.

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Nimbuzz looks and works great but totally kills my battery.

Is it just me or is the OP a bit whiney? ,I suggested Slick which totally fits the criteria mentioned and merely mentioned Gizmo as an afterthought. I then went on to Google for how to add GTalk contacts so a thanks would be nice. If Gizmo doesn't suit, use something else. Its not like you're stuck for choice given all the suggestions made.

Sorry, dont mean to be whiney, havent had a chance to try Slick, and while Gizmo works it doesnt work the way I'd like. And appreciate the help, just forget the thanks part when im replying

Fair enough, just seemed like you were poo-pooing everything everyone suggested.
    Sorry, dont mean to be whiney, havent had a chance to try Slick, and while Gizmo works it doesnt work the way I'd like. And appreciate the help, just forget the thanks part when im replying

Advertisement