Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

winrar context menu add-on

Options
  • 10-03-2009 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

I'd like to create a context menu option to extract something with a standard password. I regularly backup and rar stuff with the same password. I rar and unrar with this password nearly every day.

Would it be possible to add a context menu command "extract with password 'x' "

I'm guessing it would involve a registry entry to add the context menu addition. Clicking this context menu option would then activate a batch file that runs a command line to extract with a preset password.

I know you can use a winrar command line to extract files with a password ( though I still don't know quite how to do it) and I'd imagine it's not impossible to add a windows context menu option.

Am I going about this in an awful convoluted way or is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

well if your going to make it possible to open the password protected rar file without actually entering the password then really there is no point in having the password in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

I backup the files online but it's not a private host so i password them. I just want to make this easier on my own laptop which I pretty much always have with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Those context menu modifications in Explorer are called "shell extensions". Googling that term should turn up plenty of how-tos and articles on the topic. I seem to recall they're done through COM fiddling, so it may get a bit messy, but there's lots of resources out there for it.

Other approaches might involve having an app that runs the extraction command line for you, and dragging/dropping the RAR files onto the app to trigger the process. Don't know whether that would be easier or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Could you go for something like Live Mesh to store the files in the cloud? Then you mightn't need the password.

Advertisement