Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plc course

Options
  • 10-03-2009 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I am doing carpentry at the moment and ive decided that i want to go to college and live my life:D,
    I left school when i was in fifth year aged 16 now 19,

I just want to know if i just have to go do a
    plc course and try get into a college?
    or will i have to sit my leaving cert again,

Oh and does anyone no anything about
    getting a grant if i do go back??

Any suggestions????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

grant is based on your parents income afaik. and you don't need your leaving cert to get into college as long as you don't want to do something with very high points, you can get up to a certain level of points by doing a fetac course. this is just my very vague knowledge so try to find out more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 gero69

Its just i wanna go back and become a construction teacher
    so i'll probably have to sit the leaving cert,

any suggestions???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

teaching construction to leaving cert students is it? If so you should go to the teaching councils website and they have a list somewhere of degrees that qualify you to teach construction for the leaving cert.

you wouldnt have to go straight into that degree though. you could do a certificate course and move on up the ladder after that.

if you were over 23 you wouldn't need the leaving cert. maybe you could do the leaving cert applied?

even if you have to do the leaving cert there should be enough woodwork/construction/technical drawing subjects there to get enough points.

I want to go and become a woodwork teacher and teach it as a subject in a secondary school,
    Im not a qualified carpenter,

Does anyone no if i can do a plc
    course and get into a college to
    study Materials and Construction Technology
    with the plc????

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

gero69 wrote: »
    I want to go and become a woodwork teacher and teach it as a subject in a secondary school,
    Im not a qualified carpenter,

Does anyone no if i can do a plc
    course and get into a college to
    study Materials and Construction Technology
    with the plc????

Yes you can.

There is a course in Design and Technology Education in Letterfrack (GMIT).
    http://www.gmit.ie/letterfrack/programmes/bsc-design-hons.html

you could repeat the LC in one year, you need 2 hons including Tech Drawing or Construction and passes in the rest. Points needed in 2008 were 395. They are usually around the 420 mark for the same course in UL.

You can go back and do the LC, the requirement for the course are available on the link below or they also accept FETAC PLC students who have at least 3 distinctions in their certificate onto Level 8 courses which this is.

http://www.qualifax.ie/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=13176&CSH_ID=18&AdvancedKeyword=
    A pass with distinction grade in at least three modules in any FETAC Award at Level 5/6 meets the entry requirements for Honours bachelor degrees (Level 8) with the exception of nursing degree courses.

You don't say where you are based so I can't advise you on PLC courses in your area. There is a maintenance grant available, it is means tested and it doesn't affect your third level grant if you are eligible.

I'd suggest contacting whoever is in charge of the course and ask them for information.

• Advertisement

Im based in kildare, I have a appointment with a career guidance next week so I'l ask him more,
    Thanks for that information anyway :)

Advertisement