Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stuff to do in Mullingar

• 10-03-2009 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭

any suggestions on stuff to do for a bit of fun with a girl i've only just met

forget the cinema

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Ehm.. there's not really a lot to do in Mullingar. If you're into music, there's always a decently sized gig going on at The Stables/Yukon, and there's Danny Byrne's who has decent bands in after 11pm-- Rob Strong's playing on Thursday, for instance.

Seriously though, I can't honestly think of anything really in town that's particularly interesting. If you're super bored you could take a walk around the canal, but it's not really all that great, either.

Otherwise, all there is to do is drink...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭fakefurbabe

Oscars are doing a good deal on an early bird menu. Sagaar is an excellent Indian, or the Amber Court for Chinese. You've always got 'grab a granny' down the Greville.

You could go to Mojo's for a laugh....or the Final Fence.

You can't beat Danny's for music, you'll have to shout, but that's half the fun!!

Johnny Mac's is great as well. Went there for a drink on my birthday recently (thanks for the cards and pressies everyone :D), it was v.busy, and they had a fantastic acoustic band on down one end of the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

no salsa classes??

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

nice_guy80 wrote: »

forget the cinema

Do you have a car? If you have an interest in the outdoors there is loads to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭fakefurbabe

no salsa classes??

The Greville do Salsa classes, I think the Newbury do them as well. www.google.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

yes i've a car

whats there to do in the great outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

yes i've a car

whats there to do in the great outdoors?
    Visit Fore village and the castle/Abbey. Google the "seven Wonders of Fore" before you go. Well worth a trip. One more historic visit I would suggest is to visit the "Catstone" It marks the old centre of Éire. Its on the hill of Usineach out on the right about 9 miles on the Athlone road. Again google it for info before you go.
    There is a new cycle path from the Train Station all the way out to Ballinea along the royal canal. Take a left at the second last bridge "Belmount" and you can cycle all the way down one more mile to Ladestown at lough Ennell.
    Go for an Aberdeen Angus steak in Weirs of Multyfarnham, ps if you go there religious or not you should go into the Friary and and follow the path with the life size stations of the cross. Scares the ****e out of some people at twilight.
    There is tons more of this stuff from Scragh bog (almost unique in Europe) to the crannóg where the last High King of Éire lived; Malachí II.
    Beats sitting over a pint looking at each other any day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭roosterman71

If your asking that question here, you are in trouble :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Don't forget the dog track every Thursday and Saturday, food and drink and betting and Greyhounds! You can rent a boat on most of the lakes, there's usually something on in the arts centre. I'd advise getting the westmeath examiner as all local events are advertised or plugged there, it's out every Wednesday and as a blow in I've found it a very useful source of local information. Failing that there's the tourist office in Market square which is right beside Canton Casey's pub. If you're a glutton for punishment check out the GAA league games in Cusack park. The hurling is a bit better then the football at the minute. Belvedere house and gardens looks good although I've never been, it's out on the Tullamore road. On the way is lough Ennell and the Lakeside shooting centre(clay pigeons that is)

There's also lots of nice walks around the canal and lake. Head up to the vibe tattoo studio opposite the Greville and talk her into getting a tattoo or piercing. It's actually a nice place to get some good advice and have a browse through the tattoo books and the staff are sound. If you're still bored after that get the train into Dublin for a tenner return off peak.

Can't stand that attitude that there's nothing to do but drink. I like a beer as much as the next man but there's a bit more to life then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

As mentioned above John Mac's is a great spot. Good for a latte and lunch in the day time and watch the townfolk go by. As for a walk theres a nice walk over an esker between Tyrellspass and Kilbeggan, nice if you're fed up of the canal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭roosterman71

student2B wrote: »
    Bring her recession shopping... to the Indoor Car Boot Sale and Market in Mullingar Equestrian Centre on the Athlone Rd every Sunday from 29th MARCH (11am - 4pm)It starts at 11 am until about 4 pm and theres a coffee shop chipper upstairs for lunch and its free entrance!! Visit http://www.mullingarequestrian.com for directions. good luck!

I don't think bringing a girl to a car boot sale is going to impress her much

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Go to the Greyhound Racing get a meal or go and have a drink and watch the Racing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dianababyddori

I don't think bringing a girl to a car boot sale is going to impress her much

hahaha yeah seriously...a car boot sale???:eek::rolleyes:

she wont be seeing you again.haha

bring her out for dinner and then go drinking.

really nothing else to do in mullingar.

if it happens to be a nice sunny evening, take a spin out to the lake.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kevbrownuk

Hi,

Theirs 18 of us lads coming over from newcastle on sat morning, just got a few questions really, wondering who will be able to answer me best

Probably going to bring over £300. which is about E330 i think,

A) Will that be enough money to last Sat 9am -> Tuesday 6am (flight home)

B) How much is the cost of the Average Pint?

C) How much would i be looking to pay for a steak?

D) Are their many pubs / clubs in Mullingar?

E) whats the busiest night to go out, Sat or Sunday?

F) were playing a football match over their, anyone got any idea who were against lol (long shot i know)

Any answers would be greatley appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dianababyddori

kevbrownuk wrote: »
    Hi,

Theirs 18 of us lads coming over from newcastle on sat morning, just got a few questions really, wondering who will be able to answer me best

Probably going to bring over £300. which is about E330 i think,

F) were playing a football match over their, anyone got any idea who were against lol (long shot i know)

Any answers would be greatley appreciated
    you could be playing mullingar town or else mullingar athletic....just guessing...
    ya gonna be out all weekend??...depends really...
    like i spend up to 70euros on a sat nite...and im a girl.. haha i dnt knw hw i manage it.
    not sure bout pints. think big bottle of bulmers is 4.50 or 4.65
    bottles of blue wickeds and smirn off ice,etc are just about 5euro.
    tink vodka straight is about 4 euro.
    drinks in the niteclubs do be abit dear-er. like blue wicked would be 5.50, ya get me.

not sure about a steak...but like if your looking for a proper meal...like sunday dinners in pubs,hotels... its really dear. some place charge between 10-12euro.

yeah there a good lot of pubs and but only 5 clubs...

mojos is the best club...but ya hear alot of people say the fence because mojos has a young crowd. im 21, dnt rely notice. theres a new club in town call the lane. dont know what its like do cos avnt gone ta it yet.

good pubs is crossbar and dalys and caffreys in the smoking area-big bar outside.

saturday night is the busy-est but sunday nights is good craic too.

kevbrownuk wrote: »

A) It should be if you're only going out Saturday and Sunday, depends on a lot of factors though.

B) Depends where you go and at what hour. Guinness is €4 as a rule, and everything else tends to be a little more than that. Cider I've no clue. You'd be lucky to get anything cheaper than €3.80.

C) Depending on where you go, anywhere between €7-€15, give or take.

D) Considering the size of the town there's a ridiculous amount of pubs. If you like free live rock/indie music and popular covers, check out Danny Byrne's. Decent smoking room there too. Caffrey's has a massive smoking room but honestly it's definitely not a place I like to spend any amount of time in. Crossbar's okay, John Mac's is a bit pretentious but it's fairly alright too. Yukon's kind of seedy tbh. No idea about Daly's, never been in. Rest are kind of old man pubs.
    Clubs, there's only five or so I think. Ignore the one that's attached to the Greville.. just ignore the Greville in general. No idea about the Lane Club, it's only been there about two weeks and I've not gone in. Mojo's is my preference, mainly because it has three separate sections and there's a place to get away from the music and sit down and chat. Fence has the tiniest smoking room on the planet and is always way too jammed in every single part of it, I really don't see what the big deal is. Spin is not a place to go unless you're barred from everywhere else or it's a Tuesday and there's nothing else open.

E) Saturday, for the most part. There is craic to be had on Sunday, though, you can usually run into some interesting people on a Sunday. I'd just go out both nights tbh.

F) No idea, but good luck. :)

you could be playing mullingar town or else mullingar athletic....just guessing...
    ya gonna be out all weekend??...depends really...
    like i spend up to 70euros on a sat nite...and im a girl.. haha i dnt knw hw i manage it.
    not sure bout pints. think big bottle of bulmers is 4.50 or 4.65
    bottles of blue wickeds and smirn off ice,etc are just about 5euro.
    tink vodka straight is about 4 euro.
    drinks in the niteclubs do be abit dear-er. like blue wicked would be 5.50, ya get me.

not sure about a steak...but like if your looking for a proper meal...like sunday dinners in pubs,hotels... its really dear. some place charge between 10-12euro.

yeah there a good lot of pubs and but only 5 clubs...

mojos is the best club...but ya hear alot of people say the fence because mojos has a young crowd. im 21, dnt rely notice. theres a new club in town call the lane. dont know what its like do cos avnt gone ta it yet.

good pubs is crossbar and dalys and caffreys in the smoking area-big bar outside.

saturday night is the busy-est but sunday nights is good craic too.

Thankyou,

Think we gettin to newcastle airport for 6am, having a drink their (my god why im having a beer at 6am is beyond me)

got a match at 2 i think, then drinking from then onwards.

then sunday were drinking all day and night, have a quiet day monday tho ha

Im only 24 and i dont think my body can take a beer at 6am lol

One last thing

Do any of the pubs / clubs have a dress code?

cause i dont intend of taking shoes, just cheap black plimps :P

Lol. Dress code in Mullingar? No. Definitely not. You'll be fine so long as you don't look like a knacker.

Thats cool, what would u say is best to go out in, T-shirt / shirt / jumper :P

• Advertisement

Most guys will just do the whole jeans/tshirt thing, shirts and jumpers are fine too.. it really, REALLY doesn't matter, lol.

cool,cheers,i owe u a coke :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 murph200

The Book Fair with a Difference
    We are planning to hold a book fair in
    Delvin (Garradrimna), Co. Westmeath on Sunday May 2nd between 12 noon
    and 6 pm. I would like Just to fill you in on the background. In 1918 Brinsley
    MacNamara's (John Weldon,s) had his novel, 'The Valley of the Squinting
    Windows.' published. Brinsley, who, came from Delvin used the novel to tell a story of a rural village in Catholic Ireland at the begining of the 20th century. The last time the novel was publicly read was in 1918 on the steps of Clonyn castle and indeed the folks from Delvin were excited that one of their own had written a book. However it was during this reading that it was discovered that the fictional characters within the novel were representative of the people in and around Delvin. Admiration soon turned to hostility and what followed was anational scandal. Firstly the book was burned publicly in the centre of the village of Delvin, then Brinsley was brought to court and judement was passed in favour of the villagers to which Brinsley had to pay compensation. This however was not enough and anger soon turned towards brinsley's father, Master Weldon, who was principal of the national school at Balinvalley. Parents took their children from the school and Master Weldon faced boycotting and threats akin with what took place durin the great Land War. Ninety-two years have since elapsed and we in Delvin feel it is time to move on and so we are holding a book fair in Delvin, Co. Westmeath, on the 2nd of May between 12 and 6 pm. As part of the fair celebrities will publicly read extracts from the novel. Everyone is welcome and it should prove to be a day of enlightenment. For more information you can e-mail us at dslcltd@gmail.com

Advertisement