Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will we ever see a 32 county republic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

jimmmy wrote: »
    I guess the PIRA targetting only sons during the troubles ( with the excuse they were part time security force members or whatever ), the general Republican intimidation ( up to and including the murders at Darkley church for example ) and the Catholic intolerance for other peoples religion in mixed marriages did not help.
    the catholic intolerance for other religions is well known i met as a young protestant boy, i was 9 years old and for 3 mounths i went to school in the republic-but most people living in the irish republic are not aware of the of the inbalance of history as taught in catholic schools-and as encouraged by the state -take for instance Trinity college dublin-was mainly attended by better off protestants-in the republic trinity college was not excepted as a souce of education-so applicants attending trinity were automatically rejected from the republic jobs market - in ireland before 1920 alowed catholic/protestant marriage the way it worked was that the male child was christened after the fathers religion and the girls after the mothers-this was changed by the vatican -this is why there is a rapid decline of protestants in the republic -a single religious state isent in anyone best interest

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Lol! Unionist culture and the Beatles. :rolleyes:

Anyway, as dannyboy said, people are moving away from the old sectarian attitudes. There is a growth towards nationalism, people across the island a coming closer and have a better understanding of other people cultures. Even Unionism is starting to embrace Ireland more.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

getz wrote: »
    the catholic intolerance for other religions is well known i met as a young protestant boy, i was 9 years old and for 3 mounths i went to school in the republic-but most people living in the irish republic are not aware of the of the inbalance of history as taught in catholic schools-and as encouraged by the state -take for instance Trinity college dublin-was mainly attended by better off protestants-in the republic trinity college was not excepted as a souce of education-so applicants attending trinity were automatically rejected from the republic jobs market - in ireland before 1920 alowed catholic/protestant marriage the way it worked was that the male child was christened after the fathers religion and the girls after the mothers-this was changed by the vatican -this is why there is a rapid decline of protestants in the republic -a single religious state isent in anyone best interest

Oh please.

More nonsense lifted straight from reform.org.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    I disagree.
    Junder is a nice fella and I like him, but remember he has been through the mill.
    He is representative of the old & contracting generation of people in Ulster. He is far from representative of modern, expanding generation in NI.
    I spoke to a lad my age today from a unionist area who cannot get a job in Ulster and said he was thinking about coming to the Republic because he was offered a job here. He said he doesn't give a political fcuk along as he can get a job.
    The fact that this is a politics forum means that you're more likely to encounter politically conscious people anyway;).

The older generations are dying off, as is inevitable and unionisim is contracting through prosperity (less kids), old age and apathy.

People growing up through peace and affluence will have no reason to hate and will gradually be assimilated.
    It will definitely happen within the 75 years.
    If some commentators are saying that there is a good chance the UK will dissolve within the next 50 years, what chance does Northern Ireland have to outlast our lifetimes?

When the economy is up and running and this country is back on its feet again, you will hear people start to sing a different tune.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britain-will-be-only-nation-still-in-recession-next-year-1647356.html

Scotland is only staying in the Union to pay for RBS, they will be gone after that.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1164440/The-Bank-England-No-10-war-We-afford-Budget-spending-spree-Governor-tells-Brown.html

They didn't want the Iraq war and they don't want a nuclear bomb set off in Glasgow or Edinburgh:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7960466.stm

I'm 26 next week and I would be ready to bet €10,000 that:

We will see an independant Scotland before I'm 40. (2023)
    We will see the dissolution of the UK before I'm 50. (2033)
    We will see a United Ireland before I'm 56. (2039) i.e n 10,680 days

Most of the people old enough to remember the troubles properly must be 25.
    Most of the hardliners are 50+.
    In 30 years, they will be 80+ or deceased.

Every day of peace in Ulster brings unity one step closer.
    Deedsie wrote: »
    What part in particular shows that? The gradual increasing nationalist majority in all the border constituencies?

A real knife in the heart of Nationalism that is.

Thing is, less and less people on both sides of the border, want an United Ireland and that is an ever increasing section.

The thing with economics is it works both ways.

What are the personal financial reasons for somebody from the North to want an United Ireland? Voting for parties that want an United Ireland is one thing, voting for it in a single issue Referendum is different.

I keep bringing up this point, but I'm sure it will be ignored again! :p

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

the catholic intolerance for other religions is well known i met as a young protestant boy, i was 9 years old and for 3 mounths i went to school in the republic-but most people living in the irish republic are not aware of the of the inbalance of history as taught in catholic schools-and as encouraged by the state -take for instance Trinity college dublin-was mainly attended by better off protestants-in the republic trinity college was not excepted as a souce of education-so applicants attending trinity were automatically rejected from the republic jobs market

That is a complete fabrication!!!! Can you substantiste that???? A Degree from Trinity always was and still is one of the best guarantees of a job you can get in Ireland. -
    in ireland before 1920 alowed catholic/protestant marriage the way it worked was that the male child was christened after the fathers religion and the girls after the mothers-this was changed by the vatican -this is why there is a rapid decline of protestants in the republic -a single religious state isent in anyone best interest

That sounds like a good system. I agree with the one religion state being a bad idea. Yet another reason why partition was such a mistake.

• Advertisement

Svalbard wrote: »
    So hundreds of years after they arrived here, the planters still refuse to have anything to do with the Gaelic population. It really beggars belief. How arrogant can you get?
    i can assure you that bigotry is still alive and well ,not just in northern ireland its also in the republic -the prostant population has been decimated from[in 1902] 340,000 to [in 2002] 120,000 , 60% drop-why make up your own mind ,see Feterd on sea ,church of ireland 1957 this has been going on all over ireland since the 1920,s problems in cork ect in acts like these non catholics were driven out but you will not hear about thisi n schools, so both the north and the south need to change, if the republic made the north more welcome then maybe the protestant communities would feel more secure,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

K-9 wrote: »
    Thing is, less and less people on both sides of the border, want an United Ireland and that is an ever increasing section.

The thing with economics is it works both ways.

What are the personal financial reasons for somebody from the North to want an United Ireland? Voting for parties that want an United Ireland is one thing, voting for it in a single issue Referendum is different.

I keep bringing up this point, but I'm sure it will be ignored again! :p

Like you just ignored post 511 by me?

It is said an awful lot in these threads that people dont want a united Ireland. Still of my friends and family coworkers, they would all support it.

Show us some electoral evidence of this assumption or else it is just your opinion.

I have shown concrete election results voting for Nationalist parties.

But you feel its ok to undermine the wishes of the voters of the North by saying. "Ah they are Nationalists but not really"

Prove it with hard facts or stop saying it.

Not a personal attack K-9. Its just put out there alot without hard facts. The odd survey here and there is all thats been produced.

Id be more interested in the 41.4% that voted for nationalist parties in the last election.

http://www.ark.ac.uk/elections/

It's funny that because up north the intolerance towards catholics was frightening. I was attacked myself at a cross community youth club for bening from the catholic tradition. Also I remember my school football team playing a competition at a leisure centre in Belfast, which we won. While waiting to receive our reward, we were spat at, called all sorts of names by other Protestant school teams as there adults and RUC officers standing there watching it happen.

Intolerance is an ugly thing wherever it happens. I've spent alot of time in the republic over the years, imho, I've generally found it a very tolerant place.

For the record, a lot of republicans have many issues with the catholic church also. It's not just people from the Protestant faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Can'tseeme wrote: »
    It's funny that because up north the intolerance towards catholics was frightening. I was attacked myself at a cross community youth club for bening from the catholic tradition. Also I remember my school football team playing a competition at a leisure centre in Belfast, which we won. While waiting to receive our reward, we were spat at, called all sorts of names by other Protestant school teams as there adults and RUC officers standing there watching it happen.

Intolerance is an ugly thing wherever it happens. I've spent alot of time in the republic over the years, imho, I've generally found it a very tolerant place.

For the record, a lot of republicans have many issues with the catholic church also. It's not just people from the Protestant faith.

Atleast you acknowledge republicans have issues with people from the Protestant faith

• Advertisement

junder wrote: »
    Atleast you acknowledge republicans have issues with people from the Protestant faith

You've lost me mate? Just to clarify, republicans have issues with the catholic church just as people from the Protestant faith have issues with the catholic church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

In the cold light of day I just can't see a UI happening anytime soon (if ever), I mean to say, can you imagine all the Post boxes up North being painted green, can you imagine 'Irish' being compulsory in school up North, can you imagine Belfast taking their orders from Dublin, can you imagine the North doing away with the National Health Service, doing away with the Royal Mail, doing away with the BBC, doing away with the Pound too, and severing the links with Britain in the process :rolleyes:

It may be an 'ideal' in Nationalists minds, but it certainly aint in Unionists minds, (and thats for sure) they dont want it, Nationalists do, & never the twain shall meet > Its just not going to happen according to the Nationalist agenda.

Respect for each others countries & closer cooperation is where its at, long may the peace continue, & apart from the recent 'blip' hopefully the relationship between the UK & ROI will continue to flourish & grow.

Someone from the area once said the border has been rolled back a bit, to all intents and purposes. Some people in the areas in which you mentioned specifically ( the border areas of N. I ) may quietly talk of PIRA targetting only sons during the troubles ( with the excuse they were part time security force members or whatever ), the general Republican intimidation ( up to and including the murders of innocent worshippers at Darkley church for example ) and the Catholic intolerance for other peoples religion in mixed marriages did not help.

Thats just absolutely crazy. Dont let the truth get in the way of your prejudice.
    Svalbard wrote: »
    So hundreds of years after they arrived here, the planters still refuse to have anything to do with the Gaelic population. It really beggars belief. How arrogant can you get?
    can you prove this or is it just yet another assumption on your part, you got links to sources for instance or did you learn this in your 'pro-british history books'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Northern_Ireland_election_seats_1997-2005-by.svg

This shows a colour coded map showing election results since 1997. Basic enough but you will get the idea. The best example was the movement of protestants out of Derry after the gerrymander there was exposed after the Stormont regime was ended. Many protestants moved out to Coleraine. You must know about that surely?
    Unlike some of you i do not belief there is such a thing as cultural purity, within any culture there will always be numerous subcultures and even within those subcultures there will be other subcultures which in essence is why its in possible to define a culture, even on a individual basis,i doubt we could list every sub-culture that we are in ourselves.

However Junder you have continually insisted that your culture is British and in no way Irish. You have also stated that you have as much in common with people from the rest of Ireland as with people from Outer Mongolia.
    You even insisted this was the case from someone from Donegal, from the same province (and with a similar accent even) to your own.
    You also claim you are Ulster Scots even though you would have to go back 400 years to find any connection with Scotland. Your connections with Ireland are clearly much, much stronger.

Are you not defining yourself as from a pure culture? One free of the impurities of Irishness.

I think you are being self righteous/hypocritical here.
    I know it may be difficult for some of you to overcome your prejudices in order to actually be able to see protestants/unionists of northern Ireland as human and therefore subject to the same influences as the rest of society but i am afraid its true, Organism for is only a small part, not every protestant in northern Ireland is a member.

How ridiculous a statement is that? Is that what loyalism is doing now? Acting the poor misunderstood victims?

I dont think anybody here picked out people from another religion (at random) and murdered them. These are the acts of people treating others as sub-human.
    Telling jokes castigating people from another religion as stupid, dirty, disloyal. Believing people from another religion to be underclass. These are the acts of someone treating others has sub-human.

Do you really think anyone offered him a job in todays Irish Republic - where unemployment is rising at the fastest rate ever and virtually no business is being done ( ask any shopper who lives within driving distance of N. Ireland ) ? Maybe he and John Lennon had something in common , leading to dellusions and a loss of grip on reality ? lol lol

The international financial community perceive Ireland as by far the riskiest country in Europe as regards the possibility of defaulting on our borrowings ( 25 billion this year extra borrowing , just to pay day to day expenses ).
    No wonder most people in N. Ireland ( inc most Catholics I know there ) want to stay within the UK.

No people in Ireland will get through these problems, weve done it before and well get through it dragging all the negative baggage with us kicking and screaming.

BTW the international financial community also reckon the UK will be slowest to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Like you just ignored post 511 by me?

Indeed. It was more a general point, not really aimed at you.
    Deedsie wrote:

It is said an awful lot in these threads that people dont want a united Ireland. Still of my friends and family coworkers, they would all support it.

Show us some electoral evidence of this assumption or else it is just your opinion.

I have shown concrete election results voting for Nationalist parties.

But you feel its ok to undermine the wishes of the voters of the North by saying. "Ah they are Nationalists but not really"

Prove it with hard facts or stop saying it.

Not a personal attack K-9. Its just put out there alot without hard facts. The odd survey here and there is all thats been produced.

Id be more interested in the 41.4% that voted for nationalist parties in the last election.

http://www.ark.ac.uk/elections/

There are plenty of surveys. There was a huge thread on this very site a month or 2 ago with plenty of links to polls and surveys. A direct poll on specific questions is relevant on a thread about seeing a 32 county Republic! If it isn't, what is it relevant to?

A General Election is not a specific question on an United Ireland. Many SDLP voters would vote strategically for SF, not because of support for an United Ireland, but first and foremost to get a Nationalist in. Some Unionists voted for Jim Hendron in the 90's. If we go on your logic, those Unionists want an United Ireland? :confused:

Many Nationalists are perfectly happy leaving things as they are. Do they still vote for Nationalist parties, of course they do! Do you actually think every single SDLP voter wants an United Ireland and would vote for it in a Referendum?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

T runner wrote: »
    That is a complete fabrication!!!! Can you substantiste that???? A Degree from Trinity always was and still is one of the best guarantees of a job you can get in Ireland. -

That sounds like a good system. I agree with the one religion state being a bad idea. Yet another reason why partition was such a mistake.
    try www.scotchirish.net look for trinity college

Camelot wrote: »
    In the cold light of day I just can't see a UI happening anytime soon (if ever), I mean to say, can you imagine all the Post boxes up North being painted green, can you imagine 'Irish' being compulsory in school up North, can you imagine Belfast taking their orders from Dublin, can you imagine the North doing away with the National Health Service, doing away with the Royal Mail, doing away with the BBC, doing away with the Pound too, and severing the links with Britain in the process :rolleyes:

The postboxes would still be there, we could paint them all yellow?
    Irish wouldnt be compulsory. Irish history might. (and British/European history?)
    Belfast taking orders from Dublin? Well thats the question I guess.

Health service needs to be improved and it would. The BBC would still be there. (might be BBC Ireland?).
    There would still be links to Britain. It makes sense for Ireland to have closer links to Britain for mutually advantageous reasons.

The political border present at the moment is not of long term advantage to anyone. Its only there as its preferable to civil war. Will the unionists start a civil war if theres a united Ireland? Thats another important question.

I think any all Ireland would be a different Ireland to the one the republic live in atm. It would be a gradual process, it would have to benefit Ireland economically and socially, it would have full representation from the four provinces in any parliament. I would say there will be a partnership with Britian also.

Thats just absolutely crazy. Dont let the truth get in the way of your prejudice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Northern_Ireland_election_seats_1997-2005-by.svg

This shows a colour coded map showing election results since 1997. Basic enough but you will get the idea. The best example was the movement of protestants out of Derry after the gerrymander there was exposed after the Stormont regime was ended. Many protestants moved out to Coleraine. You must know about that surely?

However Junder you have continually insisted that your culture is British and in no way Irish. You have also stated that you have as much in common with people from the rest of Ireland as with people from Outer Mongolia.
    You even insisted this was the case from someone from Donegal, from the same province (and with a similar accent even) to your own.
    You also claim you are Ulster Scots even though you would have to go back 400 years to find any connection with Scotland. Your connections with Ireland are clearly much, much stronger.

Are you not defining yourself as from a pure culture? One free of the impurities of Irishness.

I think you are being self righteous/hypocritical here.

How ridiculous a statement is that? Is that what loyalism is doing now? Acting the poor misunderstood victims?

I dont think anybody here picked out people from another religion (at random) and murdered them. These are the acts of people treating others as sub-human.
    Telling jokes castigating people from another religion as stupid, dirty, disloyal. Believing people from another religion to be underclass. These are the acts of someone treating others has sub-human.

No people in Ireland will get through these problems, weve done it before and well get through it dragging all the negative baggage with us kicking and screaming.

BTW the international financial community also reckon the UK will be slowest to recover.

As it happens i don't have to go back any generations to find my scottish connections since a big clan of us live just outside glasgow today (And these are direct familt members), moreover i am half english so i am going to have a big whack of Saxon, Norman, Celt and even Roman blood.
    As for killing people at random i can assure you i have never murdered anybody in my life, if your refering to paramiltarys then both republican and loyalist paramiltarys were involved in sectarian murders, of course if you were from Northern Ireland you would know this. And Your right, Believing people from another religion to be underclass. These are the acts of someone treating others has sub-human so stop doing it and start treating us unionists as human beings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Thats just absolutely crazy.

Whats crazy or untrue about that ? Did you never hear of the Darkley church massacre for example, or the more subtle things carried out over the years ?
    Dont let the truth get in the way of your prejudice.
    Look at the facts before you make up your own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

It may be an 'ideal' in Nationalists minds, but it certainly aint in Unionists minds, (and thats for sure) they dont want it, Nationalists do, & never the twain shall meet > Its just not going to happen according to the Nationalist agenda.

Respect for each others countries & closer cooperation is where its at, long may the peace continue, & apart from the recent 'blip' hopefully the status quo between the UK & ROI will continue to flourish.

Éamon Ó Cuív, DeValera's Grandson. The Minister for Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs was last night on Newstalk recommending Ireland looks at rejoining the Commonwealth.

According to him it will have no impact on our sovereignty, republic or head of state.

Apparently we might even make money out of it.

People are more open to change than you may think.

The Republic is closer to Britain than ever with British-Irish Assembly meeting regularly.

Irish will never and should never be compulsory in the schools up North. But as soon as all the communities are educated together Irish should be available to those who want it.

Paint your postboxes whatever colour you want. We can actually recieve BBC in the Republic would you believe.

Roll Your eyes at the idea all you want, there is a growing nationalist population in the North and a more open minded south that the Unionist population might have more in common with than they like to think.

• Advertisement

As it happens i don't have to go back any generations to find my scottish connections since a big clan of us live just outside glasgow today (And these are direct familt members), moreover i am half english so i am going to have a big whack of Saxon, Norman, Celt and even Roman blood.
    As for killing people at random i can assure you i have never murdered anybody in my life, if your refering to paramiltarys then both republican and loyalist paramiltarys were involved in sectarian murders, of course if you were from Northern Ireland you would know this. And Your right, Believing people from another religion to be underclass. These are the acts of someone treating others has sub-human so stop doing it and start treating us unionists as human beings

A few points, when you're talking about who was mudering who, don't leave out the Bitish army and RUC. It's disrespectful to the families who lost loved ones to the NI security forces.

I don't think anyone has said that you're not intitled to your culture junder. But it would be nice for you to admit issues within it without pointing at Republican violence over the years. Republicans killed catholics and protestants in the conflict. There was plenty wrong with the north on all sides. But can you at least admit that more could be done for unionism to try and embrace Ireland? The orange order is after all an all Ireland order.

Éamon Ó Cuív, DeValera's Grandson. The Minister for Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs was last night on Newstalk recommending Ireland looks at rejoining the Commonwealth.

According to him it will have no impact on our sovereignty, republic or head of state.

Apparently we might even make money out of it.

People are more open to change than you may think.

The Republic is closer to Britain than ever with British-Irish Assembly meeting regularly.

Irish will never and should never be compulsory in the schools up North. But as soon as all the communities are educated together Irish should be available to those who want it.

Paint your postboxes whatever colour you want. We can actually recieve BBC in the Republic would you believe.

Roll Your eyes at the idea all you want, there is a growing nationalist population in the North and a more open minded south that the Unionist population might have more in common with than they like to think.
    there are three eu countrys in the commonwealth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Can'tseeme wrote: »
    I think any all Ireland would be a different Ireland to the one the republic live in atm. It would be a gradual process, it would have to benefit Ireland economically and socially, it would have full representation from the four provinces in any parliament. I would say there will be a partnership with Britian also.

Ah yes, and thats the key isnt it, some connection or partnership with Britain is paramount to keeping Unionists happy-ish & not feeling too 'cut-off' from their fellow countrymen & the rest of the UK.

As I've said many many times before, step one to a "United Island" would be to re-join the Commonwealth, (the symbolism is massive), the message to Unionists would be enormous, and it wouldn't do Nationalist Ireland any harm at all, but it would certainly gain you some kind of Union with Unionism . . .

I totally agree with Éamon Ó Cuív, (DeValera's Grandson).

try www.scotchirish.net look for trinity college

Yep. This is basically a loyalist site. It says in the introduction that the site would not be of interest to historians.

"Coming from one part of Great Britain to another, no record has been preserved of our arrivals as would have been the case had we been of alien origin; what we do know is that while a large majority came to Pennsylvania, tens of thousands of others settled in Virginia and the Carolinas. An estimated 200,000 of us landed at the American ports of Boston, Delaware (Philadelphia/Chester/New Castle); New York, Annapolis,Charleston, and the Virginia ports."

They seem to think American was in Great Britain. where have I heard something similar?

Explain the direct connection please. If you are going by your mothers maiden name than that Clan is one of 256 approx that you are directly decended from on your mothers side. You will find if you checked that most of these other 255 "direct family members" are Irish. Any comment or will you ignore this too?

Who accused you of killing anyone. Vast majority of sectarian violence and murders perpetrated by loyalists. Fact.
    The republicans were responsible for some but not to the same widespread indiscriminate degree. I know this as I'm from Ireland. I also mentioned that both sides were involved in my post which you decided to ignore.

I dont think anyone from any race or religion is subhuman.
    I do detest bigotry and the facts are that the sectarian organisations are found on the Protestant side of the split in the north.

Have you no comment on the fact that protestants move out of areas when they lose the majority? Are there any good reasons for this bar sectarian ones?
    Ah yes, and thats the key isnt it, some connection or partnership with Britain is paramount to keeping Unionists happy-ish & not feeling too 'cut-off' from their fellow countrymen & the rest of the UK.

Sorry to interject Camelot but Unionists should be able to supply rational reasons why keeping a connection with Britain is necessary or for Ireland to re-join the commonwealth. Keeping them happish will not do. Honestly and integrity needs to be the common languages now.

If there is a united Ireland then technically Unionists will have an Irish nationality and will no longer be cut off from their countrymen.

Ireland will always be seperated from Britain and Europe by water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

getz wrote:
    there are three eu countrys in the commonwealth

Uk, Malta and Cyprus. Now, why are there no other non-British related countries in it?

As I've said many many times before, step one to a "United Island" would be to re-join the Commonwealth, (the symbolism is massive), the message to Unionists would be enormous, and it wouldn't do Nationalist Ireland any harm at all, but it would certainly gain you some kind of Union with Unionism . . .

I totally agree with Éamon Ó Cuív, (DeValera's Grandson).

But Junder has given his self-proclaimed view as a Unionist and says no to an Ireland in the Commonwealth!

Yep. This is basically a loyalist site. It says in the introduction that the site would not be of interest to historians.

"Coming from one part of Great Britain to another, no record has been preserved of our arrivals as would have been the case had we been of alien origin; what we do know is that while a large majority came to Pennsylvania, tens of thousands of others settled in Virginia and the Carolinas. An estimated 200,000 of us landed at the American ports of Boston, Delaware (Philadelphia/Chester/New Castle); New York, Annapolis,Charleston, and the Virginia ports."

They seem to think American was in Great Britain. where have I heard something similar?

Explain the direct connection please. If you are going by your mothers maiden name than that Clan is one of 256 approx that you are directly decended from on your mothers side. You will find if you checked that most of these other 255 "direct family members" are Irish. Any comment or will you ignore this too?

Who accused you of killing anyone. Vast majority of sectarian violence and murders perpetrated by loyalists. Fact.
    The republicans were responsible for some but not to the same widespread indiscriminate degree. I know this as I'm from Ireland. I also mentioned that both sides were involved in my post which you decided to ignore.

I dont think anyone from any race or religion is subhuman.
    I do detest bigotry and the facts are that the sectarian organisations are found on the Protestant side of the split in the north.

Have you no comment on the fact that protestants move out of areas when they lose the majority? Are there any good reasons for this bar sectarian ones?

Sorry to interject Camelot but Unionists should be able to supply rational reasons why keeping a connection with Britain is necessary or for Ireland to re-join the commonwealth. Keeping them happish will not do. Honestly and integrity needs to be the common languages now.

If there is a united Ireland then technically Unionists will have an Irish nationality and will no longer be cut off from their countrymen.

Ireland will always be seperated from Britain and Europe by water.

My great Aunt is Scottish is that clear enough for you. I find your bigotry just knows no bounds, each post you make highlights more and more of your prejudices, if it was not so obscene i would find it almost laughable that you believe that when catholics leave protestant areas its because the protestants are bigots and are forcing them out and yet when protestants leave republican areas its still the protestants fault, perish the thought that republicans have intimidated people from their homes, perish the thought that republicans are not saints either. As for denying my right to my culture, one needs look no further then yourself.

gurramok wrote: »
    Uk, Malta and Cyprus. Now, why are there no other non-British related countries in it?

But Junder has given his self-proclaimed view as a Unionist and says no to an Ireland in the Commonwealth!

Think you will find i said i don't care either way, if the RoI wants to join the commonwealth then you would be more then welcome, if youdon't well i won't lose any sleep over the matter

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Just how closed-minded and self-righteous do you have to be not to be able to recognise how hostile this attitude seems to Unionists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

Commonwealth? I guess with todays bunch of chancers ruling us you would never know what might happen next! Im sure that Dev himself must be spinning so fast out in Glasnevin after hearing his own flesh and blood suggest that that he must have near drilled himself to the earths core by now!!

Its all strangely like the period before 1916 again now, people have forgotten nationalism and what it is about. Anyone who would claim to be a nationalist and then wish for re entry to the commonwealth? Beggars belief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

This whole thread, the Unionist arguaments, I dont know why, but I'm getting reminded all the time of that Tommy Tiernan joke about the Israelis arriving out and telling the Palestinians 'fcuk off and be from somewhere else' :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement