Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timer problem with boiler

• 10-03-2009 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi there

The timer on our boiler has stopped working. The clock simply doesn't move at all so we cannot time hot water. We can only get hot water by putting the boiler on constant for a period before the hot water is needed.

What is likely to have caused this?
    The boiler still works, seemingly there is no blown fuse as the water can be started by putting the boiler on constant.

It therefore seems the problem simply relates to the timing / clock device.

Is this the kind of problem a plumber may be interested in? (not sure if its a plumbing or electrical problem really...)

Even better is there something simple that may be fixable by myself by changing a connection - checking a fuse or something similar...

Any help and advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Get an electrician to change the timer if you're not 100% happy to change it yourself.

It's not unusual for them to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭patg

so when they stop the need to be replaced - rather than restarted?

could an amateur... a novice really.. replace it or is it a job for a professional?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ponyirl

what make is the time clock ? just curious.
    and do get a replacement one p

Timeclock carries the lettering "apt" Not sure if this is the brand or not though.

Is it easy enough to replace the clock? Maybe a weekend job lining itself up there for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ponyirl

yes "apt" is the make and it couldn't be simpler to replace only 3 cables. neutral , live in and live out. but make sure the power is off at the fuse board before tackling it ,also if its fitted onto a plastered wall and not the plastic surface box supplied be sure not to over tighten the fixing screws sometimes it can strain the housing and reduce the life if your clock.
    hope this helps p...;)

• Advertisement

Nice one Ponyirl.

Woodies it is for me first thing Saturday morning then and hopefully a well pleased wife shortly after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Saabdub

If it's the APT IMM24 immersion heater and boiler timeswitch I'm not sure if you'll get it in Woodies. I bought one in January from CPC Ireland http://ie.farnell.com/. It cost me €48.54 with postage and VAT and came within a few days. By then the original timer had started working again, it stops working for a day or so after the power has been turned off, so I have it as a spare.

Saabdub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

patg wrote: »
    Nice one Ponyirl.

Woodies it is for me first thing Saturday morning then and hopefully a well pleased wife shortly after.

Any Heatmerchants should have it.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

stay away from apt timers l'm alway replacing them for people they just dont last long enough for the money try getting a flash timer or even up grade to horseman chanel timer there easy to wire too

Well all,

thanks for the contributions and advices.

Edward - I had got a new apt control box before your post however if this fails me again soon then your advice will be borne out.

Anyway, changed it and it was straightforward so am glad I did it myself.

Thanks all - and no doubt will be drawing on your expertises again at some stage in the future.

• Advertisement

Did you get it in Heatmerchants?

Saabdub

Actually no. I went to Heat Merchants but they didn't have the same APT model there (they were only stocking their own branded model.) I didn't really want to get involved in anything more than changing the cover and reattaching the wires at this stage. (even simple tasks seem to have a habit of becoming unexpectedly over-complicated)

They referred me to T O Reilly around the corner which had the exact product that I was replacing.

Thanks, I have the same issue. Also, my timer is surrounded by tiles and if I want to upgrade I'll have retile that part of the wall.

Saabdub

You must be my kindred spirit - I know what you are talking about with the tiling problem generated by simply replacing a timer cover. If that was me it would probably end up leading to the rebuilding of at least one bathroom wall and the installation of a new shower unit!!!!!!!!!

You would not believe the problems I have had trying to change the cover of a plug socket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Saabdub wrote: »
    If it's the APT IMM24 immersion heater and boiler timeswitch I'm not sure if you'll get it in Woodies. I bought one in January from CPC Ireland http://ie.farnell.com/. It cost me €48.54 with postage and VAT and came within a few days. By then the original timer had started working again, it stops working for a day or so after the power has been turned off, so I have it as a spare.

Saabdub

I too have an issue with a dead APT IMM24 timer switch, is it just matter of picking up a new one and can anyone recommend a more reliable brand? Are they standard sizes? Ideally, I'd like to be able to take the existing one out and switch it with similar?

Also, any ideas where one might find a replacement timer in the Cork city, Blackpool area? Would T&A stock them?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Reading all comments above with interest as I have a similar situation. An electrical problem at the boiler tripped the fuse and later blew the fuse in the hot press - a fuse on a switch which isolates the timer and boiler.

I fixed the fault at the boiler but then the timer wouldn't work - the dial simply doesn't rotate. I can work it as a simple on/off switch at present but, obviously, will need to repair or replace it at some stage.

Any comments or suggestions? Maybe there is something simply to get the dial to rotate again?

Advertisement