Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCITP

Options
  • 10-03-2009 11:57pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone good give me a bit of help. I was looking at the MCITP today and was thinking of booking a test date. I have just done A+ and will be doing Network + next month. I don't have too much experience but I am willing to put the work in. I was looking at the Server 2008 exam to start with, is this a bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you dont have experience you're probably best starting out with the client exam first to get an idea of what the MS exam format is etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Take the 620 - cant go wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

I wont let on to know whats in MCITP and cant be bothered looking at this moment but regarding MS certs in general is it not better to start with the end user OS exams rather than Server OS ??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Thanks guys. I've booked in for the exam for 6 weeks time, which will hopefully give me enough time to get network+ done as well.

On the 620 is it pretty straight forward? I've been using Vista for nearly 2 years and am very comfortable with it. Anyone taken it recently?

Thanks guys. I've booked in for the exam for 6 weeks time, which will hopefully give me enough time to get network+ done as well.

On the 720 is it pretty straight forward? I've been using Vista for nearly 2 years and am very comfortable with it. Anyone taken it recently?

Without violating the NDA - You will walk it if you have any idea at all :)
    Don't let this exam give you a false sense of security for the others though! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

I don't know what the Server 2008 exam is like, but previously, the XP 270 exam was an excellent foundation for the 2003 290 exam, mirroring it in many aspects.

This was very useful, not just from the point of view of passing exams, but it reinforced lots of useful IT skills: FAT v. NTFS, disk types, Folder permissions, Printers, user management, AD, etc, etc.
    (also when I did the A+ it was mostly XP focused so it was very useful the XP 270 exam).

The Vista 620 is a different kettle of fish. Its not one of the harder MS exams, but I wouldn't describe it as easy due to the odd nature of some of the questions. It definitly isn't focused on Vista as a workplace OS, "enterprise" OS or other such names.

The main focus is not on the useful fundamentals you'd see on the XP exam. You may be questioned on them, but the main focus of the exam is on the new features of Vista: Defender, Mail, Media Centre, Sidebar, Sideshow, yawn; and the differences between the various versions of Vista.

All that said, if its your first MS exam its probably the best place to start. I'd imagine the Server 2008 exam is where you'll encounter a lot more useful information.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Zizou

Completed 70-620 on monday had more q's than I expected.
    I had 64 q's and about 10+ Simulations.
    plenty q's on new features like mail, meeting space, calendar, fax&scan, sidebar, defender, aero, parental controls.

Yeh, lots more sims on 620, I had at least 6 on mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Speaking of sims, and having completed the 620 Vista exam. Are there sims on the equivalent 270 XP exam, or is it just multiple choice?

testicle wrote: »
    Speaking of sims, and having completed the 620 Vista exam. Are there sims on the equivalent 270 XP exam, or is it just multiple choice?

The new microsoft certification track exams are alot different IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

testicle wrote: »

when I did it it was just an ez-pz list of questions.

I did 70-270 XP about 4 years ago, just questions back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Toshlad

I completed the entire MCSE 2003 in October 2007.

Don't walk in to any MCP certification thinking that if you use it on a daily basis it'll be a walk over.

I've been in IT for over 20 years and use XP at an advanced level since its release. When I did the XP MCP it through up things that really caught me off guard, that said, I did score 984 out of 1000 so the study guide I used worked well.

But don't think that getting the MCSE or any other MS certification is going to let you walk in to a job. My certification track got me the MCSE + Security qualification and even with over 20 years of IT experience behind me, after being made redundant in Feb it's not easy getting another job. You're seen as too qualified or they're looking for Cisco certs too.

Good luck with the exams, let me know if you want any study guides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

Is it worth doing my MCSE 2003? I have MCSA 2003 + M

Toshlad wrote: »
    I completed the entire MCSE 2003 in October 2007.

Don't walk in to any MCP certification thinking that if you use it on a daily basis it'll be a walk over.

It really depends on the environment in which you are using/administering it and your role.

tech wrote: »
    Is it worth doing my MCSE 2003? I have MCSA 2003 + M

Yup it is,

I think the 293 and 294 in particular are very important! (More important than the MCSA exams).

Other than that... the 297 AD Design is a good one to have too :)

Almost finished... just polishing off the 294 (Failed it once).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

Ok I have just passed 70-293, well just about !! 6 sims and 50 questions in total. Nect is 70-294!

Advertisement