Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 year old with bad period pain

Options
  • 11-03-2009 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi All

A couple of months ago my 10 year old daughter got her first period, I think we are all over the shock now however she is expereincing bad pains. Now it says on the box of paracetemol tablets from 12 years old so is this not an option? Calpol fast melts not doing any good for her at all. Anyone any suggestions for pain relief? It seems so unfair to have this pain at just 10 years of age :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Is 10 not a bit young? I got mine at twelve and a half.

Hot water bottle or those heat pads are great. I know for children that start puberty abnormally early they can get an injection from the doctor to delay it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

Is 10 not a bit young? I got mine at twelve and a half.

Hot water bottle or those heat pads are great. I know for children that start puberty abnormally early they can get an injection from the doctor to delay it for a while.

Yes, maybe mother nature should reconsider! Sheesh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Ask your GP, they'll be able to decide if she can go on normal paracetomal, might be able to if her body weight is high enough to take an adult dose, or she might be able to take both children's paracetomal and ibuprofen at once, they'll know best. Some light exercise and some heating pads are usually a help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Thanks Guys yes I know it's awful really, especially as she gets so moody bless her. Will bring her along to the doc as don't think she would qualify for an adult dose as she only weighs about 5 stone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

9/10 is with in the new average normal range for girls to get their first period.

I would suggest the same things as you would do for anyone else, raspberry leaf tea/tablets, hotwater bottle back rubs as for pain relief what about jr disprin ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

Ten years old, let me reassure you is perfectly normal for a girl to get her first period.
    A hot water bottle is really really effective. I use it every time and I get bad ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

Poor lil one I got my period when I was 9 ! I was in 3rd class in school ! According to docs I was on a lot of Steroids and medication so this had a big part to play in it, still i can imagine the shock !! Ill never forget my mams face tho when she found out I hid it for a cpl of days. I hadnt a clue what was happening to me.

I used hot water bottles and even a heat patch for my back, maybe give the doc a ring and see what they say bout the paracetamol it is only for a cpl days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

I used to suffer really bad with pains when I was younger - eventually I was put on the pill to relieve the pain and prevent me missing more school.

The other solutions I tried was recommended was brisk walking, a hot water bottle, a hot bath, a large blow up sports ball I would lie over. I tried a tablet Feminex I think it was called - this wasn't to bad - the best was the pill.

I know she is quite young but if the purpose is medicinal and she gets a low dosage it will help. I was just 12 when I started on it - that was 13 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

I knew a girl who had her periods at the age of 8. 9 - 11 is the average age I believe. Your GP should be able to advise you on your different options. Failing that if you dont want her to go on lots of pain relief my sugestion would be Acupuncture. Its FANTASTIC for pain relief and I know you will probably think that a 10 year old wouldnt fancy it or sit still long enough but they do acupuncture on people from new born to 100 years +. Children actually look forward to going when they get used to it. Hoped it helped

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Thaedydal wrote: »
    as for pain relief what about jr disprin ?

Can I just pick up on this point in case anyone else reads this... jr disprin is no longer available. Aspirin should NOT be given to children under 16

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ah mine are both still on calpol didn't know that was withdrawn from the market.
    Thanks angeldelight.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

get her to tip her tips and stretch the cramps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I got my period just after my ninth birthday. My mum would give me cup of hot, sweet tea, a hot water bottle & a couple of paracetamol. I think she called our family GP to get an ok on the kind & volume of painkillers I could take. Poor thing, it's no fun when you're one of the first dealing with periods. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I would suggest the same things as you would do for anyone else, raspberry leaf tea/tablets, hotwater bottle back rubs as for pain relief what about jr disprin ?

+1 to the above, massage with rosemary oil or rose oil may also help, I've used rosemary oil for years along with heat wraps and hot water bottles.

As someone who was on the pill aged 13 for the same problem, I empathise with your daughter, best wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

My youngest sister was 10 when she got her period too and like your daughter OP she was in dreadful pain (something that seemed to hit each of her older sisters and mum too unfortunately). Again, as with your daughter my mum didn't want to give her adult doses of pain killers as she was so young and so tiny. She used to run her a hot bath, lots of tea and TLC and she gave her those Deep Heat patch heat pads. They can be applied where ever the pain is worst and last for up to 8 hours at a time. I use these fairly often and are fantastic. They are really slim fitting so they can't be noticed under clothes (which would be great for your daugther when she is at school) and unlike Deep Heat itself, they don't smell. You'll find them in supermarkets and pharmacies.
    Good luck to your daughter and you :)

Yes, maybe mother nature should reconsider! Sheesh!

Can't ignore that there is too much o estrogen floating around as a by product of certain plastics. Whats the matter with letting her have her childhood? It's not as if she can healthily have a baby at her age and weight.

Can't ignore that there is too much o estrogen floating around as a by product of certain plastics. Whats the matter with letting her have her childhood? It's not as if she can healthily have a baby at her age and weight.

Everybody is different. My mother had four daughters and we started our period at 17, 14, 12 and 10. We all lived in the same house, went to the same schools, ate the same food etc etc. I'm way taller than the other, we all have different physical traits. We are all different. Puberty starts at different ages for everyone.Puberty is the begining of your body getting ready to be able to reproduce, you're not obliged or expected to have a baby as soon as your period start and she can still have her childhood her parents are hardly going to take her out of school and expect her to work because she has her period are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Ah Jeez - poor little thing

I know when I first got my period I suffered badly and had quite bad pain but after a few months it calmed down a bit.

Best bet would be the docs - she might need something a little stronger until her body calms down a bit.

Lots of cuddles - blankies - hot water bottles and evenings on the sofa would probably help a lot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 stranagaone

OMG!:eek:

I have just read this thread and am gobsmacked. I never knew anyone to have their period before secondary school, am I green or what!

My 10 year old has got body odour and has complained of pains in her tummy recently. She said there was something red on the toilet paper but I thought one of the others had drawn on it with markers.

I'm not ready for this never mind her. Can it stop and start? I would like it to come back in a couple of years time!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ham Sandwich

The doctor is definately the best bet, he'll be able to give her the best dose for her size and weight, plus advice on effective treatment. The poor pet getting it so early tho

• Advertisement

OMG!:eek:

I have just read this thread and am gobsmacked. I never knew anyone to have their period before secondary school, am I green or what!

My 10 year old has got body odour and has complained of pains in her tummy recently. She said there was something red on the toilet paper but I thought one of the others had drawn on it with markers.

I'm not ready for this never mind her. Can it stop and start? I would like it to come back in a couple of years time!!!

It will more than likely take a while for any sort of regular cycle to set in for your 10 year old. That said I don't think its going to go away for 5 years or so:)
    Talk to your daughter and ask her about the pains, how often she gets them, what they are like etc and you'll have a better idea if she is actually getting her period or not.

kizzyr wrote: »
    Everybody is different. My mother had four daughters and we started our period at 17, 14, 12 and 10. We all lived in the same house, went to the same schools, ate the same food etc etc. I'm way taller than the other, we all have different physical traits. We are all different. Puberty starts at different ages for everyone.Puberty is the begining of your body getting ready to be able to reproduce, you're not obliged or expected to have a baby as soon as your period start and she can still have her childhood her parents are hardly going to take her out of school and expect her to work because she has her period are they?

Work and periods? Where have you drawn that conclusion.

Lets face it, periods are unpleasant things which in this case is proving to be extremely painful.

If her periods can be stopped until she reaches a more suitable age (when all her friends start or the majority of them) then why not?

Ten is too young for hormonal strops and horrible pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Hi All

A couple of months ago my 10 year old daughter got her first period, I think we are all over the shock now however she is expereincing bad pains. Now it says on the box of paracetemol tablets from 12 years old so is this not an option? Calpol fast melts not doing any good for her at all. Anyone any suggestions for pain relief? It seems so unfair to have this pain at just 10 years of age :(

Standard Panadol tablets can be given from 6yrs up. One panadol caplet is equivalent to 2x5ml tsps of Calpol six plus so it's safe for your daughter's age.
    Other options are Nurofen Children (2x5ml for age 7-9 and for 10-12 3x5ml can be given).....and Panadeine - half to one tablet can be given for 7-12yrs every 4 hrs (no more than 4 full tablets in 24hrs).
    Don't give her any aspirin (disprin) products..not recommended for under 12s. Aspirin can cause a serious and sometimes fatal condition called Reye's syndrome in children (dangerous for teens too if they happen to be suffering from a fever or chicken pox).
    Hope the poor wee lamb gets some relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭kaa

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Hi All

hey i was 10 when i got my first period aswell. and afew months into it i got really bad pains, i tried the hot water bottle and my mom got cream that you put on your belly....forget what it is called but they didn't really work. i ended up taken panadol which worked for me.

i know this might sound extreme and not a good idea but maybe seeing a gp and discussing a contraceptive pill. it does make the period lighter and less painfull.

but you should visit a doctor because they might give more advice and other ways of making it easier on you girl.

Advertisement