Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are Germany's motives?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

The government duped the population into believing they were the second richest country in the world and the Irish people lapped it up and went out and bought themselves another one bedroom shoebox for €300,000 to rent out to a polish immigrant. As you rightly say, anyone who said otherwise was politely told they should hang themselves :eek:

Excellent post ; that sums up the celtic tiger years better than anything else I have read in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

No, it was more in a Harry Enfield "We're considerably richer than you" type of way.

The government duped the population into believing they were the second richest country in the world and the Irish people lapped it up and went out and bought themselves another one bedroom shoebox for €300,000 to rent out to a polish immigrant. As you rightly say, anyone who said otherwise was politely told they should hang themselves

It was obvious that an economy that was based almost entirely on house prices and those house prices were 20 odd times the average wage was going to collapse. Again plenty of people were saying this inside and outside of Ireland. Now that has happened there is an embarrassed accusation made against other countries that they are laughing at Ireland,

My mother in law voted no because she didn't want the EU to be able to force abortion on Ireland or send Irish troops to war. The EU has now secifically stated in the treaty these things won't happen in an attempt to appease the Irish populace.

the rest of europe is thinking "What the **** has abortion or troops going to war got to do with Lisbon?".

You can draw your own conclusions from that.

I agree with the first part.
    With the 2nd part, while I understand the broader picture and the implications of the EU bullying us and telling us what to do, I utterly detest the fact that abortion is not allowed in this country.
    Its just like Gay marraige.
    There is no reason against allowing it, other than the emotional trauma to people whom it neither concerns nor will be experiencing it.
    Usually the No side like to make a cluster bomb of it with various other components like hate messages or religious nonsense.

For that reason, I would be in favour of it, as they will have to make laws inclusive rather than exclusive.

Of course if the same thing was said about the german or French head it would be an acceptable piece of satire, but because it is ireland it is yet terrible and an afront to Ireland.

Are you going to wheel out the "No Blacks, Irish or Dogs" signs next?

The above (funny, I lol'd) video was simply supposed to support the point that the British Media are unfairly focusing on Ireland.
    5000 articles in the British Media about our impending nuclear implosion.

Hyping up our failure like that knackers our confidence and our reputation and clearly Brian Clow(e)n doesn't need any help in that crusade.

The ironic thing is that Gordon Brown is laid waste to the British Economy, after he claimed the was the man who "brought an end to the cycle of boom/bust"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Ironbars

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ironbars viewpost.gif
    Scofflaw has a point, just look at this recent have I got news for you and how it potrays our glorious leader...............

Of course if the same thing was said about the german or French head it would be an acceptable piece of satire, but because it is ireland it is yet terrible and an afront to Ireland.

Are you going to wheel out the "No Blacks, Irish or Dogs" signs next?

I dont think anyone believes this to be an afront to Ireland. Its very funny but I used it to show you that your opinion that the UK are so insular they dont notice us paddys and our predicament is a fair bit of the mark.
    Nothing more

That is just an inferiority complex. The UK is too concerned with the problems it is experiencing to care too much about what is happening in Ireland. the only news reports I have seen of late about Ireland is regarding Anglo Irish, which considering the name is relevant.

Oh yeah, and the one about the Polish man with 22,000 speeding tickets:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ironbars wrote: »
    I dont think anyone believes this to be an afront to Ireland. Its very funny but I used it to show you that your opinion that the UK are so insular they dont notice us paddys and our predicament is a fair bit of the mark.
    Nothing more

The UK is far from insular, in fact the fact that the tepegraph has some very good articles about ireland proves otherwise. Incidentally, there are 6500 results on the french economy, 2300 on the greek one and 3600 on the German economy. The telegraph has been very busy by the sounds of things.

The UK is not taking delight at "The Dumb Paddys", far from it. There are 5300 hits on the Indo.ie site about the UK economy, are the Irish taking great delight in the UK's plight (Actually, don't answer that because I have no doubt many are).

Advertisement