Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleted attachment

Options
  • 11-03-2009 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

In this post I attached a screenshot of my VM network settings to help the OP but it was removed. The last edited was asiaprod but I've been on to him and he has no recollection of editing the post or removing the image at all. As mods I believe you can see original posts and all edits. Could you have a look and see who or why the image was removed?

----

Above is the PM I sent to the two mods of the Unix forum. Both have been online since but may well have missed the PM. I had a little PM conversation with asiaprod first and he has no recollection of the attachment deletion - he made one comment about hoping he wasn't sleepwalking to boards which implies that the timestamp was after bedtime. Which concerned me enough to chase up with the mods and now to here in the absence of a response from them. Not concern about the mods or asiaprod but about the possibility that a Smods account was compromised and innocuous things like this were done without the knowledge of the mod.

If someone with da poweh could have a look I'd appreciate it. As I said to the three mods I'm not upset about the image removal at all - this isn't a complaint. It's just my concerns as mentioned above.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The thread was soft deleted which automatically removed the attachment unfortunately. Not sure if that's a bug or a feature but I just tested it. Oh, it says that Asiaprod edited your post, he didn't, it's simply because the system thinks that he removed the attachment, when actually he soft-deleted the thread.

Why though, I'm not sure! I'll look into it! Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Thanks Gordon, that one had me scratching my head hard. Could not understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, there's a checkbox when you delete a thread to tell the system to keep attachments. If you don't check it, attachments get deleted. It's not checked by default, and it's an easy thing to forget to do, especially since most threads don't have attachments and if you're deleting something you normally don't expect that you'll need to undelete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ah, cheers seamus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Grand stuff. At least the mystery is explained. Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement