Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

..PC World

Options
  • 11-03-2009 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

So They reckon you can no longer return a product in under 7 days , like 'change of mind' or whatever, if it is opened and not broken. Is this legal?? For the record, they are a shower of ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Yes , it's 100% legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Sad tidings, however I have been in contact with the manufacturer who are willing to back up my claim that the product is not suitable for my needs (firmware issue) and that I should be ok. The device still is not used I might add.

Does you needs coincide with something the box says it does ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

whats the product? and whats the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Unless Pc World told you the product would suit your needs, it isn't really their fault if you buy a product not suitable for your needs without consulting their "tech team".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

It's a linksys router which, after researching, I learned had bad version 2 firmware but good version 1. So I contacted their live support to give them the s/n to check which version the one i had bought was. This was with the package unopened. The guy on the phone said it was version one and to open the box. I told him about the returns policy and that it would screw me. He assured me everything would be grand and to open it..it was version 2:rolleyes:. So then he says to print the email of our online conversation that he sent me and that would allow me to get the product returned, oh and that pcworld could contact them. So I must have some sort of recourse, be it PCworld or linksys?

Werid, Linksys should patch it if its faulty firmware on version 2.

You could google for a copy of the good firmware. I'm sure a copy is available somewhere.

It is weird that they would sell a router with poor firmware and not have an upgrade already available. If the firmware was that poor they'd probably have shipped version 1 on it to be safe.

You could always ask support for an earlier version of the firmware or find it elseware like on torrent.

thebman wrote: »
    Werid, Linksys should patch it if its faulty firmware on version 2.

You could google for a copy of the good firmware. I'm sure a copy is available somewhere.

It is weird that they would sell a router with poor firmware and not have an upgrade already available. If the firmware was that poor they'd probably have shipped version 1 on it to be safe.

You could always ask support for an earlier version of the firmware or find it elseware like on torrent.

See the problem is that version 1 and 2 are pretty much different routers (albeit with the exact same product code) Different firmware. Also v1 uses Broadcom but v2 uses Ralink. V2 pretty much stinks. Surely after their rep said to open the box ..im desperate here :(

You may have an alternative if they won't let you return it. Look into flashing the open source firmware for many routers onto your router.

It is better than most of the default router firmwares anyway.

Check if it is supported here:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Otherwise I would lodge a complaint about the problems you have with the firmware with Linksys and ask them if they will supply a replacement.

I think Pc World will probaly wash their hands of this as it is a software issue that Linksys should really sort out.

• Advertisement

helios12 wrote: »
    It's a linksys router which, after researching, I learned had bad version 2 firmware but good version 1. So I contacted their live support to give them the s/n to check which version the one i had bought was. This was with the package unopened. The guy on the phone said it was version one and to open the box. I told him about the returns policy and that it would screw me. He assured me everything would be grand and to open it..it was version 2:rolleyes:. So then he says to print the email of our online conversation that he sent me and that would allow me to get the product returned, oh and that pcworld could contact them. So I must have some sort of recourse, be it PCworld or linksys?

Unless the box or staff said it was version 1 firmware then you have no right to return.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's a linksys router which, after researching, I learned had bad version 2 firmware but good version 1.

So hang on you bought it before you researched what you needed it for? How is this PC Worlds problem?
    So I contacted their live support to give them the s/n to check which version the one i had bought was. This was with the package unopened. The guy on the phone said it was version one and to open the box. I told him about the returns policy and that it would screw me. He assured me everything would be grand and to open it..it was version 2:rolleyes:.

Firmware can be easily upgraded and downgraded, whats the big deal?
    So then he says to print the email of our online conversation that he sent me and that would allow me to get the product returned, oh and that pcworld could contact them. So I must have some sort of recourse, be it PCworld or linksys?

Again its neither, you bought it even though you didn't research what you needed it for, PC world "may" take it back as goodwill but they don't need to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

It's a linksys router which, after researching, I learned had bad version 2 firmware but good version 1.

Bad how? Does it not do what it says on the box?

Ok, to answer multiple questions

1. This router, version 2, cannot handle connections well. It drops connections alot and thus is no use to me as my home setup involves three laptops, 2 gaming consoles and a server.

2. Version 2 is not supported by dd-wrt and no support so far offered by Linksys fixes its issues, Google 'wrt160n' for countless forums on it's instability.

3. I figure i have no chance with PCworld but after their(Linksys) rep assured me it was V1 and this one is faulty , should they not replace with a version 1?

Have you tried changing it from mixed mode connections to a set mode like G?

It could be the N mode messing it up. N is a draft standard and it could be implemented poorly on the router and might be causing problems. Most of your devices probably don't support N anyway.

If one of your devices is having problems with G try changing to B which is the earlier standard.

You could also try changing the channel the router is running on as most routers run on channel 6 by default, it could be nearby interference from another device. Even if there are no other wireless networks nearby, interference on a specific channel could be caused by a cordless phone or other device.

If you have not already done so, ensure you have the lastest firmware from Linksys. When I got my router it used to drop connections every 10-15 minutes like clock work. I updated to the latest firmware and the problem was resolved.

If the Linksys tech rep you spoke to admitted there was a problem with this model or if you can get another rep to do so then they should replace it with a working similar model. Alternatively they should release a firmware update to fix the problem if they have not already done so. You can ask them if they have any planned firmware releases for this model. They will probably be able to tell you if one is planned but not whne it will be released.

If they say they can't tell you then say you don't want to know a date, you just want to know if one is being worked on to fix this issue and if they still won't answer, ask if they are still supporting this model of router at all.

In my experience, Linksys have the best routers once you are running the latest firmware. However, with the newer model routers, they always have initial problems they need to fix with firmware updates after release so I usually buy models that have been on the market a while to ensure I don't have this problem.

This isn't specific to Linksys, used to have a Belkin router that constantly dropped connections and they just dropped support for it and left it broken. I haven't seen such problems with Linksys routers so hopefully they are working to fix this problem for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I know this router, it is not fit for purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1358ET8LLVCP5/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Tell PC world that the linksys guys admitted it was faulty and therefore not fit for purpose.

Use the phrase 'not fit for purpose' enough times and they will change things.

ch750536 wrote: »
    I know this router, it is not fit for purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1358ET8LLVCP5/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Tell PC world that the linksys guys admitted it was faulty and therefore not fit for purpose.

Use the phrase 'not fit for purpose' enough times and they will change things.

Finally , someone sees that it is not a 'fixable' situation. Version 2 is just plain bad product. I'm currently waiting for Linksys RMA support to ring me back after 10 minutes talking to their technical dept. I'll keep this thread updated as to how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

3. I figure i have no chance with PCworld but after their(Linksys) rep assured me it was V1 and this one is faulty , should they not replace with a version 1?

Linksys should replace it for you, or contact PC World to arrange the replacement to be done through them, with Linksys crediting PC World for the returned one.

Finally , someone sees that it is not a 'fixable' situation. Version 2 is just plain bad product. I'm currently waiting for Linksys RMA support to ring me back after 10 minutes talking to their technical dept. I'll keep this thread updated as to how I get on.

I'm not saying it was fit for purpose just to put that out there.

Its just returning it is going to be a pain so you might be better off trying the steps I posted to see if you can make it usable as it'll safe yourself hassle.

thebman wrote: »
    I'm not saying it was fit for purpose just to put that out there.

Its just returning it is going to be a pain so you might be better off trying the steps I posted to see if you can make it usable as it'll safe yourself hassle.

I understand and I am genuinely grateful for your help, I just have had too many bad experiences trying to compensate for bad tech products and in particular routers. This one was supposed to replace a horrible Belkin N router that soaked up many hours of my time with fixing.

On a happier note, Linksys customer support is fantastic and they have accepted my RMA request. While that does mean a couple of weeks waiting and paying to ship this router back, at least I can avoid another encounter with PC world's legendary customer service;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement