Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVI vs HDMI

Options
  • 11-03-2009 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

What is the deal i've always supposed that hdmi was better.

I'm really wondering why are all graphics cards ports dvi and how come dvi cables tend to be more expensive? Is it cause they're more rare?

Also is there any point in using those converters they give you for the graphics cards?
    the dvi to hdmi ones?

would it bring about a better quality image?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They're basically the same.

HDMI is dual link by default if I remember correctly and can carry audio on the same wire. HDMI also mandates HDCP (copy protection) but it's optional on DVI. HDMI probably has a nicer connector (but less sturdy).

Won't be any image quality difference at all.

The convertors are only so they can be plugged into a tv for a signal (or some monitors now only come with a HDMI input).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

did dvi com out before hdmi?

Should we expect next generation cards to have hdmi slots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes and some cards already have HDMI natively, and have done for quite some time. Others come with adapters in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Effluo wrote: »
    did dvi com out before hdmi?

Should we expect next generation cards to have hdmi slots?

Next generation cards will use displayport :) This increases the bandwidth available again for high end monitors and is backwards compatible with HDMI/DVI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I'd add that using HDMI can sometimes cause issues when switching sources on a TV. Case in point; PC connected to TV via HDMI, you change source from HDMI to another source, e.g. AV1, and back to HDMI and receive a black screen.

When two devices are connected via HDMI, or even via DVI to HDMI using an adaptor, the connection uses a protection scheme called HDCP, as previously mentioned by another user. As a result of this copy protection, issues can arise, such as the above example, and this is commonly referred to as a [url= http://www.videsignline.com/howto/198900437
    ]handshake problem[/url].
    HDMI & DVI have a companion high-definition content protection (HDCP) system that sometimes leaves authorized consumers in mute, watching a blank screen, blinking video, or snow while being held hostage by a bug known as the "HDCP handshake problem."

You can find further information regarding the HDMI interface from this source.

• Advertisement
Advertisement