Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Fence

Options
  • 11-03-2009 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I have been thinking of adopting a dog. I have a large garden of around one acre. I would like to get peoples opinions on Radio Fences.

Do they always work?
    Are they cruel or in anyway harmfull?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

There's a million threads about this if you have a search.

Firstly, in my opinion, they are cruel and not particularly effective in some cases. I've seen 2 dogs in the last month come in with radio collars on. If the dogs gets out then they'll get shocked on the way back in. Also the fence won't stop other dogs coming onto your property.

If you're adopting from a rescue, I'm sure the radio fence will be a problem for them, none of the ones I volunteer with would rehome a dog where there is a radio fence I'm afraid. Would you consider fencing a large run or your entire acre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Some say they are cruel but that's up to you to decide.

They are not harmful, its only a little shock which I often tested on myself when I used to have one.

As for their effectiveness, they are not great, if the dog really wants to go through it he will, again its only a little
    shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

i have 2 acres and will not be allowing my dogs unsupervised outside until we have a full proper fence. wouldn't use them for the reasons stated, they are cruel and not very good

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭noker

Ok thanks for that. Think i'l fence off a run

Advertisement